MK Dons - Starting X1

I wouldn’t be against stamping it out with retrospective bans. But until then it’s part of the game and nearly all top teams at every level use it to their advantage, Latics may as well join them.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the worst form of cheating in the modern game?

Feigning injury

Taking one for the team

Timewasting

Diving

Shirt pulling

Claiming for a free kick/corner/goal kick when you know full well you got the last touch

Delaying taking a free kick

……..

7 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I wouldn’t be against stamping it out with retrospective bans. But until then it’s part of the game and nearly all top teams at every level use it to their advantage, Latics may as well join them.

I get that all teams use it to their advantage, but it is time something was done about it, the FA and all the other football authorities are happy whilst the game is still a global success commercially, a part of me hopes that all the subscribers stick 2 fingers up to them. I know this ain't going to happen but I  can hope. 

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Feigning injury

Taking one for the team

Timewasting

Diving

Shirt pulling

Claiming for a free kick/corner/goal kick when you know full well you got the last touch

……..

All of them. But diving is just blatant cheating along with feigning injuries 

21 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Feigning injury

Taking one for the team

Timewasting

Diving

Shirt pulling

……..

Spitting. Doesn't happen so much these days, but it really was disgusting. I have a memory of Leeds' Bastard Baird spitting at a young Mike Flynn. He got his own back by accidentally kicking him the head following a corner. Bastard didn't spit a second time.

We might as well forget  about time wasting because we're crap at it. The number of times we're the last result in is incredible, just play the game and get on with it. If I was an away supporter on Saturday I'd be totally embarrassed by my team's antics. The ref should have booked the third or fourth who feigned injury only to jump up when the "magic sponge" appeared. It stopped our momentum time and time again and was premeditatedly cynical cheating. 

I went with two friends on Saturday, one who gave up going several years ago...he enjoyed the match, even though Latics lost. He thought defensive naivety was punished with a soft penalty and a soft goal, Latics got better as the first half wore on and were the much better side in the second half. Gardner's goal being the pick of the goals scored. He regarded Missilou as a skilful player but thought he needed more movement and momentum after he had released the ball. He actually is contemplating a return, seeing as he can get a student discount.

The other friend is a die-hard Liverpool supporter. He also enjoyed the match as a neutral and thought Latics the much better team in the second half, deserving an equaliser but lacking cohesion in the final third. He did not rate O'Grady as a sub for Miller. He thought the 'keeper did extremely well with the two saves. His main gripe with MK Dons was the apparent and unnecessary cheating/falling over and also remarked how Latics possessed much higher fitness levels.

If MK Dons are regarded as favourites to go up, then this League must be pretty piss-poor, in my opinion. I thought they were distinctly average and had Latics not been several key players short, the result would have been more favourable. A long way to go.

Don’t think anyone can call a favourite at this point the bookies edge their bets. Which bookie had Leicester to win the league? If they are right, hopefully we are also in with a shot as like u say they weren’t light years ahead of us

14 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Feigning injury

Taking one for the team

Timewasting

Diving

Shirt pulling

……..

Stealing ground from throw ins. I'd have a toe off them for every yard from where it went out.

14 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Feigning injury

Taking one for the team

Timewasting

Diving

Shirt pulling

……..

I've always wanted us to be good at the sneaky/clever things, without blatantly cheating.

I can't remember us having a smart team or being good at 'game management' for a long time.

15 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

What actually happened to the lad stretchered off? Didn't even look like our player (O'Grady?) touched him?

Clash of heads with Nepo. It was nasty, one of those ones that you hear the collision. 

20 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Clash of heads with Nepo. It was nasty, one of those ones that you hear the collision. 

Agreed, I can see why everyone went bananas about it at the time given what had happened over the past half hour, but I had a perfect view of the impact and it looked and sounded really nasty.

16 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

What actually happened to the lad stretchered off? Didn't even look like our player (O'Grady?) touched him?

Correct I was in North Stand right in front of incident and no one touched McGrangles. According to my brother and nephew who were at match (MK Dons season ticket holders) he had facial injury due to earlier challenge and then was confused. They were not impressed that we booed him but didn't know how serious it was did we? As earlier poster says they were going down all the time once went 2-0 up

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

I think he means to say that it appeared no contact from his position quite near the incident, as this was also my instant opinion also. Altho I could then tell by the way he fell, and landed, that there had been.

Sorry didn't make it clear - it appeared at first no contact

• 5 months later...
On 8/5/2018 at 4:28 AM, Ryan said:

Surely you don’t really believe that? Look at the list of outgoings from last season, I’ve tried to roughly estimate what I think is a realistic weekly wage/loan fee. The money saved since the end of last season is enormous. 

Doyle and Bryan £11,000 (Keegan’s article said that Doyle, Bryan and Byrne were costing us £16,000 p/w)

Gerrard £1,500-£2,500

Moimbe £2,000-£3,000

Mantack £300-£500

Fawns £300-£500

Banks £1,500-£2,000

Green £1,500-£2,000

Omrani £1,000-£1,500

Brian Wilson £1,000-£2,000

Nazon £0-£1,000

Holloway £1,500-£2,000

Davies £2,000-£2,500

Pringle £3,000-£4,000

Obadeyi £1,000-£1,500

Paddy Mac £1,500-£2,000

McLaughlin £1,500-£2,500

Benyu £0-£500

Gymafi £500-£1,000

Placide £4,000 

Total saved £35,100-£44,000 a week (hope my quick tally up is right :lol:). Even taking the lower figure, which I think is quite a conservative estimate, the total saved a year is £1,825,200. With the fees received for McLaughlin, Davies and Holloway added on then Abdallah has knocked over £2 million off the annual wage bill. Do you honestly believe that it is Jack Byrne stopping us from being in the market for a quality striker? Really? If JB goes then that wage, like nearly all of the others above, will not be spent on incomings.

The average wage in L2 is now £86,000 per year, the median (taking out the Menigs!!!) £80,000

That is £1,500 per week.

Some of those could be quite close, though inevitably a few won't be.

Crazy money.

• 7 months later...
On 8/4/2018 at 5:56 PM, BenRad said:

Thought Missolou was poor myself, struggled to get near close enough to them, just kept grabbing shirts. 

Ben!

He never gives the ball away

Tried to find a Missolou thread but this is the best on offer.

1 2 Missolou 99 100 

Bigger hero than Vera, he actually cares 💙

20 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Ben!

He never gives the ball away

Tried to find a Missolou thread but this is the best on offer.

1 2 Missolou 99 100 

Bigger hero than Vera, he actually cares 💙

Haha, I stand by what I saw in that game. I think he is decent now, one of our better players! I hope Vera improves though!

Archived