20 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

We signed Sylla in the week before FGR.  This was after significant unexpected income from the FA Cup run and during a time when the only other player movement was outwards.

I know you have good sources but this doesn’t add up.

The defender who we signed today. We tried signing him last week but either the EFL or the FA wouldn't allow it. We actually signed Sylla between Notts County and Fulham. He was announced the day before Fulham, but signed on the Thursday before...

17 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Why would there be money in being shown round a gym in Oldham? 

:blink:

Him and Lemsagam were known to each other weren't they? Hardly beyond the realms that he might have asked him to come and have a look at the club he was buying in return for being looked after, all good PR.

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The defender who we signed today. We tried signing him last week but either the EFL or the FA wouldn't allow it. We actually signed Sylla between Notts County and Fulham. He was announced the day before Fulham, but signed on the Thursday before...

The point I’m making is that it wouldn’t have been due to a financial embargo as Eyresy was implying.  

Could have been been an issue at Latics; with the player’s registration or with his agent as to why we couldn’t do the deal.

1 minute ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

The point I’m making is that it wouldn’t have been due to a financial embargo as Eyresy was implying.  

Could have been been an issue at Latics; with the player’s registration or with his agent as to why we couldn’t do the deal.

You'd imagine Miller going would have freed up money in the budget to allow that.

There was some form of embargo prior to the league payments arriving this week, having 6 subs and a crocked O'Grady last week wasn't a choice.

54 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yeah, that's just a standard copy and paste type article for me, just struggle with the idea he was seriously interviewed and we decided not to pursue it.

I’m actually with you on this. I think it’s just a publicity stunt that he agrees to let be banded about every time we need a manager. If scholes wanted the job he’d have it anytime he liked I think. 

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Him and Lemsagam were known to each other weren't they? Hardly beyond the realms that he might have asked him to come and have a look at the club he was buying in return for being looked after, all good PR.

Realms? You’re in the realms of fantasy now. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

"We can only offer you about a grand a week Paul and myself and my brother will be handling the recruitment and do you even need an assistant anyway Paul? Paul? You still there?"

If he wants a job he just needs his agent to ring up a Championship/L1 club with a vacancy and he'll get one.

And it will a damn sight brighter, more lucrative and more stable than this one.

Who told you that? How do you know he did? How far did those talks go?

56 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yeah, that's just a standard copy and paste type article for me, just struggle with the idea he was seriously interviewed and we decided not to pursue it.

45 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Discussions and Interviews can come in many forms really so I wouldn't put so much weight behind that.

I haven't seen him linked with any other jobs, what's so good and attractive about this one?

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Another smart arse who can't read properly.

Really?  See above.  Your quotes. Nobody else’s.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You'd imagine Miller going would have freed up money in the budget to allow that.

There was some form of embargo prior to the league payments arriving this week, having 6 subs and a crocked O'Grady last week wasn't a choice.

Miller must have been on some coin if that was the tipping point on top of the (unbudgeted and unexpected) televised FA Cup first and second round ties plus prize money.

Just now, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Really?  See above.  Your quotes. Nobody else’s.

Difference between being interested and that interest having any chance of becoming reality. The idea that he gives up a lucrative BT gig and all the other stuff to come and manage Oldham Athletic for pin money is not realistic in my humble opinion.

1 minute ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Miller must have been on some coin if that was the tipping point on top of the (unbudgeted and unexpected) televised FA Cup first and second round ties plus prize money.

All depends on where that unbudgeted money went does it not?

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Difference between being interested and that interest having any chance of becoming reality. The idea that he gives up a lucrative BT gig and all the other stuff to come and manage Oldham Athletic for pin money is not realistic in my humble opinion.

You are trolling brilliantly tonight my man.  Bravo 👏 

37 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'm sure we will find out in due course but the job would appeal on some levels, he is an Oldham fan as is his dad and he used to bring the kids along too, he lives in Grasscroft and values his family and home life immensely meaning his commute to work would be minimal in comparison to other jobs, his kids schooled within walking distance of BP and his son turns out for Chadderton FC, he'd probably work for buttons as money has never been his motivation and he'd be starting off at a realistic level and would have nothing really to lose managing a club that's finished no better than about 15th in a decade, as for his TV work plenty of managers supplement their income working as pundits and I don't see why he couldn't do both tbh.

Edited by yarddog73

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm sure we will find out in due course but the job would appeal on some levels, he is an Oldham fan as is his dad and he used to bring the kids along too, he lives in Greenfield and values his family and home life immensely meaning his commute to work would be minimal in comparison to other jobs, his kids schooled within walking distance of BP and his son turns out for Chadderton FC, he'd probably work for buttons as money has never been his motivation and he'd be starting off at a realistic level and would have nothing really to lose managing a club that's finished no better than about 15th in a decade, as for his TV work plenty of managers supplement their income working as pundits and I don't see why he couldn't do both tbh.

The most sense I've had out of anyone.