5 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

I had an expectation of promotion which was tempered because of Bunn's lack of managerial expertise which rapidly became evident as the season progressed.

It's an interesting opinion and I guess we'll have to wait and see how the new manager does.  Hopefully you're proven right.

Personally I think the club is such a basket case off the pitch that no manager will be able to succeed.  As I've said before I thought Bunn has done and OK job, not great but not worthy of the sack.  But I can't see any other manager who's had to deal with what Bunn has getting promotion any time soon.  AL keeps moving the goalposts.

• Like 1

I'd say we probably have a top 10 side that should be aiming at top 7 we were within striking distance of that target at the turn of the year so we didn't really need to sack the manager if we were in the bottom 3rd or so that would be sufficient reason to sack the manager.

That said what worries me more than Bunns departure is The owners temperament and desion making. He simply shouldn't be going in the dressing room in any game and he shouldn't be interfering like he has been. Until that changes the managers position will continue to be a carousel that will be no good to anyone at the club as it will create a culture of volatility.

Slowly slowly appears to be the club's motto but also that of the owners learning curve. He should by now have learned that the interference is bad for the team and the club as a whole. The sanctuary of dressing room is an environment for the coaching staff and the players only and what goes on there stays between them. He is entitled to let the manager know if a performance is unacceptable or in exceptional circumstances say a run of bad defeats or a Significantly bad one that he is unhappy with the players. But that should be in training or a team meeting the following day.

I actually believe he cares and that his motives are right as far as being a football owner is concerned. However he has to start acting like one abit more.

Edited by GlossopLatic

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'd say we probably have a top 10 side that should be aiming at top 7 we were within striking distance of that target at the turn of the year so we didn't really need to sack the manager if we were in the bottom 3rd or so that would be sufficient reason to sack the manager.

That said what worries me more than Bunns departure is The owners temperament and desion making. He simply shouldn't be going in the dressing room in any game and he shouldn't be interfering like he has been. Until that changes the managers position will continue to be a carousel that will be no good to anyone at the club as it will create a culture of volatility.

Slowly slowly appears to be the club's motto but also that of the owners learning curve he should by now have learned that the interference is bad for the team and the club as a whole that's the sanctuary of the coaching staff and the players and what goes on there stays between them. He is entitled to let the manager know if a performance is unacceptable or in exceptional circumstances say a run of bad defeats or a Significantly bad one that he is unhappy but that should be in training or a team meeting the following day.

I actually believe he cares and that his motives are right as far as being a football owner is concerned. However he has to start acting like one abit more.

I agree, I think he actually cares but he simply can't be storming into a dressing room after a loss to a team in the play offs who on the day had a striker who's capable of well above this level outplay us. 

Overall I thought we where the better side in the game...seems such an OTT reaction to go storming into the dressing room if he did. 

Like you say it does seem like he actually cares but perhaps too much. If he does care enough to go storming in and kicking off at 1 loss (after being unbeaten in 6) in a game we played quite well in, then really he needs to be spending some serious ££ to be winning consistently. 

1 hour ago, mikejh45 said:

Apologies, assumption on my part. Buuuut…the question remains the same...do you trust AL to bring in a couple of decent players?

59 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

...going off his performance to date, I’d say it’s less likely, than likely....

I'm not privy to who, if anyone, AL has been instrumental in bringing in over the managers head. However if we make a very general assumption that anyone signed from overseas was an AL pick then some have been successful and some not. The point I was making was that I'd rather stick with 2 loanees who are settled and doing a reasonable job than replace them with 2 more who are likely to take time to settle.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, astottie said:

I'm not privy to who, if anyone, AL has been instrumental in bringing in over the managers head. However if we make a very general assumption that anyone signed from overseas was an AL pick then some have been successful and some not. The point I was making was that I'd rather stick with 2 loanees who are settled and doing a reasonable job than replace them with 2 more who are likely to take time to settle.

I agree with the continuity as both have had a good half season.

I would like to think that with the successful introduction to the club of Missilou and Branger-Engone (the former more than the latter), AL has a better understanding which of his stable would suit the English game.

23 hours ago, OLDHAMADE said:

You have to cut your cloth accordingly, wait till Brexit mate when you go from fillet steak to beans on toast 😉

Rather have beans on toast than be ruled by that mob of inflated and pompous unelected fools.

11 minutes ago, samgoafc said:

Clarke has been spotted with Abdallah and Muhammad Lemsagam in Elk Mill Costa, could mean nothing but still

Probably means they fancied a coffee ? Maybe a hazelnut Xmas one before they’re discontinued 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

21 minutes ago, samgoafc said:

Clarke has been spotted with Abdallah and Muhammad Lemsagam in Elk Mill Costa, could mean nothing but still

Wouldn't be that uncommon or even extraordinary to ask the most senior player at the club his thoughts on who or what the new manager should be and what the players perhaps need.

I actually think he's not a bad option if none of the applicants are stand-out. 

He's been a model professional for many years and commands a lot of respect at the lower levels of the football league. How is he on his coaching badges? Anybody know....?

Do you still get x amount of time to reach a certain coaching level or do you now have to have it before taking over?

Think it would be useful if there was also budget to bring a football man in somewhere between manager and board or an experienced Assistant. 

14 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I was told today that he wants to give it to Clarke. However, he asked Clarke to do it as soon as he sacked Wellens in the summer and Clarke turned it down cos he wanted to carry on playing...

Clarke and Wild as double act ?

Cheap option, clear Bunn out and his backroom team and replace them with Clarke and Wild who are already on the payroll, whilst I'm not averse to Clarke taking over you have to question whether Abdallah even has a pot to piss in given the staff he's managed to shift off the payroll in recent months. Doesn't bode well for me going into the window.

Edited by yarddog73

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

if Clarke gets it or is even assistant then priority number 1 in January has to be a centre half who can be captain.

Clarke getting it would be a bad idea all round.

Would you be adverse to Clarke as player manager with Wild as his assistant?

Personally I would prefer a manager with a bit of experience, Askey would be an OK choice although there may be better who want the job. 

10 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Would you be adverse to Clarke as player manager with Wild as his assistant?

Personally I would prefer a manager with a bit of experience, Askey would be an OK choice although there may be better who want the job. 

I don't like the idea of a player manager I don't think Clarke or anyoneelse should be asked to be captain and Manager, it's too much workload for 1 person.

If Clarke has aspirations of being a manager and you could see why he would as hes a natural leader then he needs to retire from playing first. 

Edited by GlossopLatic