Crawley (a)

7 hours ago, kowenicki said:

We weren’t “awful” for 60 minutes. Don’t believe everything you hear.

We were poor for the first hour...end of. If you were there you would know. 

Crawley were shit. 

Last 20 mins after the changes we were much better and we deserved the win. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Seen the goals, a very good free kick by Branger and 2 goals hitting them on the break.  Can't argue with that for an away performance!

How did players fit into the system?  I like that (on paper at least) we went back to a 4-4-2 and it seems like the subs really seemed to make a difference.  Did Vera and Lang link well?

Strange game to summarise;

For the first hour or so we were pretty ordinary and Vera once again struggled to contribute anything meaningful. The system worked well enough and it was great to have Nepomuceno further forward but we never really looked like scoring and poor as Crawley were, they had the better chances. Branger-Engone is a funny one, sometimes very good and other times really poor....guess that’s why he’s in League 2!

i thought Stott looked a little out of sorts at left back, just didn’t seem sharp. Maouche and Missile were good in midfield and we looked the better team up until the final third.....until that is, Dearnley came on. He absolutely transformed the game, Lang, who had worked hard, came to life even more and when JB came on to join the fun we absolutely battered them for the last 15 minutes

I still would prefer to see Hunt or Dumm at left back and Nepo further forward but what we were really missing was a couple of quick, mobile strikers...Dearnley looks to be one and if the other loanee proves to be the same we could actually put a run together 

• Like 2

Don’t know why Vera is getting stick, thought he had a decent game, good touch, good vision, brought others into play. Lang getting praised when he was arguably our worst player, even clearing our shot off their line 🤷🏻‍♂️ And constantly offside. Branger is the type of player who does better at the end of a game, maybe suited to coming on as a sub.

Baxter did alright when he came on and all subs did well, especially the United lad, direct, pacey, good on the ball and a good confident finish. Iversen kept us in it at times and he really is an underrated keeper! Let’s hope we can push on and win these 3 home games now. And let’s hope the chairman can let Scholes get on with the job.

Edit... It’s still an absolute disgrace that players are being frozen out and being made to train with the youths. 

Edited by oldhamoafc
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

Don’t know why Vera is getting stick, thought he had a decent game, good touch, good vision, brought others into play. Lang getting praised when he was arguably our worst player, even clearing our shot off their line 🤷🏻‍♂️ And constantly offside. Branger is the type of player who does better at the end of a game, maybe suited to coming on as a sub.

Baxter did alright when he came on and all subs did well, especially the United lad, direct, pacey, good on the ball and a good confident finish. Iversen kept us in it at times and he really is an underrated keeper! Let’s hope we can push on and win these 3 home games now. And let’s hope the chairman can let Scholes get on with the job.

Edit... It’s still an absolute disgrace that players are being frozen out and being made to train with the youths. 

I agree, can’t see Scholes allowing players training with the youths to continue

8 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

Iversen kept us in it at times and he really is an underrated keeper! Let’s hope we can push on and win these 3 home games now. And let’s hope the chairman can let Scholes get on with the job.

Iversen did make some great saves. He's been an excellent shot stopper. I think where he rightly gets criticism is how he deals with crosses.

9 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Crawley were shit. 

Downvote for thinking you get s better view of the game by being there or that your opinion is more valid. 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Strange game to summarise;

For the first hour or so we were pretty ordinary and Vera once again struggled to contribute anything meaningful. The system worked well enough and it was great to have Nepomuceno further forward but we never really looked like scoring and poor as Crawley were, they had the better chances. Branger-Engone is a funny one, sometimes very good and other times really poor....guess that’s why he’s in League 2!

i thought Stott looked a little out of sorts at left back, just didn’t seem sharp. Maouche and Missile were good in midfield and we looked the better team up until the final third.....until that is, Dearnley came on. He absolutely transformed the game, Lang, who had worked hard, came to life even more and when JB came on to join the fun we absolutely battered them for the last 15 minutes.

Fair summary of the game. Vera looks way off fitness but there is something about him that makes me think he may yet come good. Having said that, for a big man he is strangely poor in the air 🤔

Missilou was not his usual effective self while Stott was okay but clearly being played out of position - he will be good cover for the centre back position.

In the end it was a much needed win. Fairly even game until the substitutions gave us a better shape (bringing on Dearnley and then Baxter while putting Nepomuceno back to left back). This meant we were playing without a big man up front so played more on the ground which seemed to suit. Great free kick from the oft maligned Branger and then the gaps appeared in the Crawley defence. A 3-0 score line flattered us somewhat but I'll take it!  Clarke MotM for me.

Three home games to come and Scholes to sign? What’s not to look forward to? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Downvote for thinking you get s better view of the game by being there or that your opinion is more valid. 

Interesting debate this one. 

Do you get a better impression of the play and individual performances by being at the game or watching a televised showing of the game that uses a single camera?

I suggest the former.

Oh, and no opinion is more valid than another...it’s just that some opinions are more informed or based on greater insight.

Edited by TheBigDog
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Interesting debate this one. 

Do you get a better impression of the play and individual performances by being at the game or watching a televised showing of the game that uses a single camera?

I suggest the former.

Oh, and no opinion is more valid than another...it’s just that some opinions are more informed or based on greater insight.

Fair point to a degree. However the single camera was from the centre of the pitch at the side and also uses zoom. I’d say you get a better view on screen. I’d always prefer to be there tho for the atmosphere etc. 

Spot on regards the validity of opinions 👍

57 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Brian Cox thinks the earth is spherical, Freddie Flintoff thinks it's flat.

Some opinions are more valid than others...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Brian Cox thinks the earth is spherical, Freddie Flintoff thinks it's flat.

Some opinions are more valid than others...

But is your statement about their beliefs true ?

Brian Cox might believe that the Earth is a slightly flattened sphere i.e. oval. Therefore not a sphere.

17 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Crawley were shit. 

I was there and I agree, first hour was a nightmare. Took my brother-in-law and his son along and I had to keep apologising to them!

Dearnley was excellent when he came on and took his goal well. 3-0 flattered us but no problem with that.Vera can’t get off the ground and seems to be less mobile than the corner flag that was flattened by a Crawley player.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:18 AM, Londonboy said:

Crawley were shit. 

Poor isn't the same as awful.

I watched it.  We were poor for 20 mins then gradually improved.  We were good second half.  We were the better side throughout and deserved to win.