The Morecambe debacle

Bristolatic

Anything that could go wrong, probably did. We've had "Mirrorgate"; predictions copied to ensure passage into the knockout stages of the Cup competition. We had the site down at an inappropriate time and @Stevie_J did his best to get round the problem. Some hadn't realised and were unable to edit their predictions. Confusion and not a little animosity over what happens when a fixture is postponed. I've picked some out as examples and tried to explain.

Here's an idea. How about we give everyone 0 points, forget all about the Morecambe game and have a 45 game season? It wouldn't half make things easier. Am I serious? Not telling :deal2::devilish::naughty::smoking:

On 2/1/2019 at 9:14 PM, BP1960 said:

Deleted.

Yes, the edit was shown late, but @Stevie_J had received it in time via Twitter when OWTB was down

This was your first post, which should have stood. Edit within the time frame by all means, but technically a second post wouldn't count even though this was deleted. We probably wouldn't be that harsh, but it helps me if it's done correctly

On 2/17/2019 at 1:17 PM, maximus1267 said:

Removed as I had already predicted

This was the 2nd post, so correct to delete and let the first one count

On 2/17/2019 at 7:22 PM, jorvik_latic said:

This prediction stands at the moment, you’ve predicted twice. 

@jorvik_latic pointing out that the first post counts

On 2/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, BP1960 said:

BP1960

Latics 1 Morecambe 1 ht 0-0

Dearnley

Lawman

Latics 1 Morecambe 1 ht 0-0

Dearnley

Were these meant to be the same? I just wondered.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:58 AM, jorvik_latic said:

This is the last one I'm doing - you've already predicted in this thread... 

22 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Deleted the original thanks.

@jorvik_latic again points out how double posts work

22 hours ago, BP1960 said:

No need to get your hair off as my previous post was on Feb 1st so thought this was a new thread. Any more sharp remarks and you can stick your prediction league.

@jorvik_latic didn't deserve this. He often posts to help those who have made a potential error. He is not involved in the running of the Prediction League, but does the reminders as a favour. Public spirited, our jorvik. 

18 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

Make sure to check for earlier predictions given the original postponement - your first on the thread will count!

The rule explained

17 hours ago, Ex_pat said:

Bugger. The site has been down for me until 5 minutes before KO so I could not edit my goal scorer.

I smell a rat

@Stevie_J explained what had happened and adjusted the cut off time, plus he accepted posts/edits on Twatter

17 hours ago, al_bro said:

I wasn't able to enter my prediction in time because the site said an update was in progress, but here goes anyway

Latics 2-0 Morcambe

HT 0-0

Baxter

Ditto and it would be accepted under those circumstances

17 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

Sorry about that. We’ll allow any posts or edits up to 7:45 in the circumstances. 

Oafc1895’s prediction: latics 2-0 morecambe (0-0) Jose 3829

Confirmed temporary rule change

14 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

New one on me, some shite rules being played here to be fair.

So I qualify, a late edit is accepted (unfairly) to force me into a play off then another edit via Twitter which wasn't displayed till after the goal was scored knocks me out :applause1:

Rightly or wrongly I made a mistake with my entry for the Morecambe away fixture and lost all the points I'd accrued but now it seems the goalposts have changed.

In actual fact, you wouldn't have qualified for the knockout stages of the Cup had the original results stood, hence you were given the chance to qualify by using the results from this game. So the play off was for your benefit. The reasons for accepting the late edits and why posted late have been explained

Don't want to paste your whole post Bristol but as far as I was aware Lookers didn't break any rules mirroring Aidens prediction and therefore as a result I did qualify in second as Aiden posted after the cutoff, it's either a rule or its not.

I have been  penalised before for posting an prediction maybe a minute or two late before a ball was kicked and also lost all points when it was quite obvious that I'd got my home and away teams muddled in the Morecambe away fixture.

I appreciate it probably takes up a lot of everyone's time but what went on last night following the weekend was all a bit of a farce.

I really appreciate the time people put into doing up the prediction league tables etc. 

This season is my first season taking part in it and it has taken an edge off the bitterness of relegation and given the season a boost of fun for me. Not least because I’m doing a hell of a lot better than I expected (though I’ve most likely just hexed myself there)...

With regards to the site being down stopping updates or anything else like that - if/when it costs me points I’ll just put it down to a bit of bad luck. 

I’ve made the trip to Boundary Park with a bunch of mates from Ireland - only for the match to be postponed - more than a few times... I’ve got used to that, I think I can handle a website crashing. 

Anyway, there’s enough real debacles to be worried about. 

Edited by Nohairdontcare

Well these things are sent to try us.

Pete,

I do any edits late (about 15 mins before KO) because of my location.

I saw that Lang was not playing, so I was going to change the scorer only. I missed out on 3 points.

I could have posted my updated scorer late, but my understanding of the rules is that that would have made my whole prediction void.

I will go with any decision you & Stevie make.

By the way I am not on Twatter

1 hour ago, maddog said:

I was going to change my first goalscorer and change the attendance at about 19.30 - the second wouldn't have got me any more points probably but the first would. Happy to go with the consensus though.

I reckon I made a small amount of ground on you and Mr/Mrs/Miss South East Latic.

I want my points!! :)

Okay folks, here goes. No matter what we do with the Morecambe predictions, we're not going to please everyone. Just to recap, apart from mirroring someone else's predictions to progress in the Cup (not really in the spirit of things, is it?), we had the site down as well. This meant that some couldn't edit their predictions, although @Stevie_J did his best by extending the cut off and accepting edits by Twitter. Naturally, not everyone could see that, so only a couple benefited by it. There's been some vitriol regarding the rules and how we tried to help in unusual circumstances. 

The situation is plain to see. Whilst some will not receive the points they may have scored, others were unable to obtain possible points because they couldn't edit. So there's winners and losers all round. There is no solution that will work for everyone, so this is it. All predictions for the Morecambe game are null and void, so there will be no change in the League tables. It also means that the play off between @yarddog73 and @lookersstandandy is scrubbed but, as @Stevie_J has generously given up his place in the Cup, both of them qualify for the knockout stages.

That's it, then. I'm sorry it came down to this, but it had to go one way or the other and I know some won't be happy. Get your predictions in for the Bury game and remember, the cut off  to post or edit is 10 minutes before scheduled kick off time. The time stamp on your prediction decides.

OK, I'm off to get my tin hat. :peepwall:

23 hours ago, disjointed said:

Resolved in the best way

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

I'm happy with your decision. It would be a nightmare for you to sort out and you do a great job taking the time to run this for us.

Thanks for that, chaps. I couldn't see any other way of doing it, so much appreciated.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:48 PM, disjointed said:

Resolved in the best way, having said that if LSA had played within the spirit of the game we may not have had the domino effect. 

On 2/21/2019 at 6:56 PM, maddog said:

#oasischeats

I predicted within the rules. My legal team are watching and defamation and slander will not be tolerated.