Managerial stats March 2019

Started messing about with numbers, manager stats in the 2000's sorted by win percentage.

The 3PPW average column, is a point value on all games given that 3 points are for a win and 1 for a draw - regardless of competition or era.

I'll do a full list another day.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Seconded. I think we may have gotten more points under him than we have done under Scholes too. 

Who do you think is best equipped to build us a competitive squad over the summer? (A personal thing, but please stop writing gotten, it's like reading a Lee Child novel. ) 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Seconded. I think we may have gotten more points under him than we have done under Scholes too. 

You have to think that Scholes is a better long-term appointment though, surely? Candy floss will make you bounce off the walls for a few hours, but carrots will keep you alive longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

Who do you think is best equipped to build us a competitive squad over the summer? (A personal thing, but please stop writing gotten, it's like reading a Lee Child novel. ) 

Scholes (probably). However, we'd have a much better squad if we get promoted and based on his first 5 games Scholes hasn't faired as well as Wild would have done on that front. 

That might explain it- I've read a few of his books. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

If we're basing it on 5 games then taking Wild's form (last 5 games) the number of wins would be the same but Wild would have a lower 3PPW Ave.

36 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If we're basing it on 5 games then taking Wild's form (last 5 games) the number of wins would be the same but Wild would have a lower 3PPW Ave.

And if you take out Wild's draws and losses but leave Scholes's in, then Wild would have a higher one. 3PPG average in fact.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Latics and England said:

Wow. We have had 2 of our 5 best performing managers this season and we are where we are. It really does show just bad the last 18 years has been.

I suppose it doesn't take into account the fact we have been in league 2. This season.

As someone who works in numbers statistics alone are meaningless without abit of back up to put them into context. Although it can tell us a few things it doesn't tell the whole picture.

Mick Wadsworth always looks good in these stats yet he was given a carte blanche on signings.

Its difficult to judge Pete Wild and Paul Scholes due to the sample size.

It can be argued that Frankie Bunn was very harshly sacked his record was fairly good and he had to deal with a few broken promises including late payment of staff, Owners interference and his assistant sacked without him having a say on the matter.

It can be argued that Paul Dickov and Andy Ritchie did pretty well when you consider the budget they worked with compared to the competition they were up against they probably both had bottom 6 budgets for the division. However Ritchie also benefited from the kind of almost unconditional fan backing as a club legend that knowone on that list received.

Edited by GlossopLatic

On 3/6/2019 at 7:34 AM, yarddog73 said:

Personally think we'd have more points if we'd of kept and backed Bunn but it is what it is.

Personally think we wouldn't be in this division if we'd of kept and backed Sheridan but it is what it is.

• Like 3