Board of Directors (Non-Executive) Applications

4 hours ago, Midsblue said:

You had me right up to

Over the past year under new ownership the club has tried to rebuild, with millions being invested in the team whilst also paying off past debts

Millions spent on the team and paying off past debts.... prove it.  Provide a breakdown of where it’s been spent because it hasn’t been spent on gas, a boiler, pension for staff, bus to transport team.... the list goes on and on

Surely whoever is drafted this rubbish is looking at social media and is gauging the hostility of the fanbase towards this clown

He could just be really shit at day to day running of business, seeing as he has sacked everyone 😂

4 hours ago, Midsblue said:

You had me right up to

Over the past year under new ownership the club has tried to rebuild, with millions being invested in the team whilst also paying off past debts

Millions spent on the team and paying off past debts.... prove it.  Provide a breakdown of where it’s been spent because it hasn’t been spent on gas, a boiler, pension for staff, bus to transport team.... the list goes on and on

Surely whoever is drafted this rubbish is looking at social media and is gauging the hostility of the fanbase towards this clown

Not a bad shout, show us proof and we will all get off your back

4 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Two things:

Invested ‘millions’ in the team. Joke!

I assume said director would have joint and several liability so if AL fucks off they would well and truly be left holding the baby. 

No they wouldn’t. 

33 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Two things:

Invested ‘millions’ in the team. Joke!

I assume said director would have joint and several liability so if AL fucks off they would well and truly be left holding the baby. 

It's a Limited Company.  Unless the bank demands guarantees then the liability is limited

We require at least one Non Exec Board member with the necessary contacts in China and Japan.  There are people in these countries who seek prestige rather than profit.  To be owner of an English football club still appeals to many, it's all about having the contacts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joe_lead said:

We require at least one Non Exec Board member with the necessary contacts in China and Japan.  There are people in these countries who seek prestige rather than profit.  To be owner of an English football club still appeals to many, it's all about having the contacts. 

The Chinese great set of lads.

I am mixed on this...get appointed and maybe..just maybe get a tie of what is going on...may just maybe influence stuff for fans and club. Other hand ignore and we are just get rumour and emotion. Legal advice etc in previous posts is a must..I am a none Executive Director of limited Company..have liability insurance or still sought legal advice too..lastly ensure you have written commitments he wants from the role...and do the maths... can you afford it ?

12 hours ago, joe_lead said:

We require at least one Non Exec Board member with the necessary contacts in China. 

With the 400 roulette betting machines in the ground, the staff and players won't have to worry about being payed.

#getthechineseinvoled

18 hours ago, underdog said:

which...funnily enough due at companies house on 27th March. Well 2018's are.

Again I would urge anyone seriously considering the offer to seek sound financial and legal advice on the responsibilities

AL won't liaise with the clubs own Trust so beware anyone thinking of joining this scheme.

Is it that he legally needs a board of directors to operate and this is an exercise costing him nothing while trying to get fans on board who will never be able to challenge him ?

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

We should all inundate that email address so that anyone who is actually naive enough gets lost in the ................

My application .......

My name is Cocoa Bean my friends and colleagues call me Coco or Mr Bean

I’m well fit can do cartwheels and comedic somersaults and talk proper like and everyfink so the fit and proper test will be noproblemo.

I have many many years experience of being a clown 🤡 not on your scale of course but I’m willing to learn from you!

I have a car which I fix when the doors and wheels fall off, so can help now that the wheels have come off your dream of managing Oldham in The Champions League.

I understand the day to day running of the football club includes picking the team and giving long term contracts with large wages to any French speaking person who at some point in their  life may have kicked a football 🏈 I don’t know as much as most managers or ex professional footballers about this but we can learn this slowly slowly together.

My references include my teacher and headmaster who said I was only too pleased to play the role of class clown.

My wife who thinks I am the biggest clown she as ever met (I will introduce her to you she will then probably change her mind)

Hoping this meets your requirements us clowns must stick together! 

Edited by WLYOWD
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It's a Limited Company.  Unless the bank demands guarantees then the liability is limited

I am well aware of what it is but being a director/board member has its own problems and potential liabilities which if the rumours are correct could land any successful applicant in deep shit. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

My non-application:

Dear Mr Lemsagam

I note with interest your desire to recruit Non-executive Directors as “Fans’ Representatives” and welcome the initiative.  I believe I have a number of relevant qualifications and attributes which would mean that I could make a positive contribution to the role including:

A long personal history as an Oldham supporter going back more than 50 years and via my father and grandfather to the founding of the club in 1895.

• Experience with fans organisations including OASIS (Oldham Athletic Supporters In the South) and Secure Athletic’s Future Existence (SAFE) which could be thought of as a forerunner of the current Supporters’ Trust (Oldham Athletic Supporters Foundation Limited, “the Trust”).

• A long career in the financial services industry with a particular focus on governance, compliance and company secretarial activity including at senior management and board level.

However, I cannot apply for the following reasons:

• The position does not have a clear description of responsibilities (to the best of my knowledge) so it is impossible to judge its attractiveness and feasibility.

• There already exists a mechanism for engaging with supporters via the Trust.  It is unclear why this avenue is not being pursued; a position which is particularly puzzling given the Trusts’ shareholding in Oldham Athletic (2004) Association Football Club (“OAAFC”).

• The loose use of language in the notification of the position is concerning and does not suggest full awareness of EFL requirements.  The words “Fit & Proper Test” do not appear in the EFL Rules; I assume the reference is to the Owners and Directors Test.

• I could not possibly meet the criteria to attend all home and away matches; very few people could do so and I would suggest that most of those who could may be those with fewer responsibilities and commensurately limited experience.

• In my experience the prime responsibilities of Non-Executive Directors are to have confidence of good and appropriate corporate governance and to be in a position to critically assess corporate strategy.

• It seems clear that at present the corporate governance of OAAFC does not meet what any reasonable person would consider to be best practice.  To have a board with a single director well over a year since you acquired control seems to me to be unacceptable.

• The position appears to be exclusively related to being the fans’ representative.  As Directors have wider responsibilities than such specific considerations it is far from clear to me that the person(s) being sought actually need to have the status of Director (Non-Executive not being a specific role in relevant Company Law).

• The above does not suggest that any individual who takes up this position will have the ability/status to assess or influence wider strategic issues

• Any individual taking this role is likely to experience significant conflicts of interest as has (in reality or perception,  it really doesn’t matter) occurred in the past.  As a Director they must be privy to information which is not (and should not) be in the public domain and it will be very challenging for them personally to manage that conflict of interest as doubtless the fans they are representing would expect significant and frequent disclosure.

As you rightly say there is a serious disconnect between you as the owner of the club and its supporters.  My conclusion is that this is not an appropriate way to resolve that situation for the following reasons:

• There is an atmosphere of suspicion around the club regarding both your motives for becoming involved in the club and your style of management.  Whether such suspicions are well founded I have no knowledge and it is of very limited relevance.  Until such doubts are assuaged by specific actions they are only likely to fester and grow.  For the reasons outlined above, particularly in respect of the actual or perceived conflict of interest, the appointment of any person to this role is unlikely to resolve that position.

• All indications are that there is a very limited and potentially inadequate management structure in place at OAAFC.  Making this appointment cannot go any way to solving that situation.

• Rightly or wrongly there is a belief that you as owner and your associates are heavily involved in player recruitment, retention and team selection.  While we as fans are clearly not fully aware of the truth or otherwise of such perceptions the weight of evidence, generally in the form of former employees making veiled, or more recently more explicit, suggestions that this is the case are a very significant factor in the disconnect.  Again, making this appointment cannot on its own go any way to solving that situation.

I hope that the points above may cause you to consider whether this is a logical approach to resolving the difficult current situation.  Should that be the case I have the following suggestions which I believe are more likely to bear fruit should you genuinely wish to solve this positon and move the club forward positively.  Given the investment and commitment that you have made I cannot conceive that would not be your wish.

• Engage with the Trust; their role already encompasses being fans’ representatives.  It is my understanding that Trust membership has grown recently and I would imagine it would grow substantially if a positive relationship between it and you as owner was in place.  That would negate any need for a Non-Executive Director(s).

• Provide as much clarity as possible on the following issues (this being a non-exclusive list)

• The nature of your current and planned future relationship with the landowners.

• The extent to which any future manager will have autonomy over player and playing matters.  If the many rumours on this subject are reflective of the truth it is hard to imagine many credible candidates wishing to become first team manager.  This would naturally include some information regarding the nature and extent of the role of Mohammed Lemsagam at OAAFC.

• The current state of OAAFC’s finances and your ability to ensure that the club meets its obligations.  Stories in the press regarding the alleged non-payment of minor commitments suggest, at best, very poor administration and, at worst, a very parlous financial position.

• Some insight into how, if at all, player transactions may benefit the agency with which you were formerly associated

• Your plans for the future including any potential acquisition of the land and buildings, in particular specific detail regarding the North Stand given its capacity to provide income from non-football activities.

• The truth or otherwise of rumours that either or both of the Main Stand and the Chadderton End require very substantial remedial work.

If you are not able to provide clarity on most, if not all, of these matters which are rightly causing great concern to the supporters there seems minimal prospect of the current disconnect being resolved.

These comments are made with the best of intentions from a longstanding supporter.  The club was there long before I was and it is my very strong desire that it continues to exist and thrive long after I am gone.  The current situation is parlous.  On the playing side the club is at its lowest ebb for over 45 years, the ground is decrepit, the pitch is woefully sub-standard etc.   I very much hope that you are in a position to turn the club in a more positive direction and you have rightly identified that you need the supporters, current and lapsed, on side to have a chance of doing so.  I hope you can see that some or all of the steps suggested above may help in achieving that.

wow....I am in awe and doth my cap

Edited by underdog

I cannot stress how we, Trust directors, appreciate  ALL your support.

Sometimes I say why the bloody hell do I bother, chuck the towel in and say "feck it"....then our fans, you yes you...right there reading this post do something to amaze me

Owners come and go, they are custodians of our club for a micro-moment in time....we are the true constant, the fans and through the ages we have ensured a club history of over 100 years.

oh dear the vino is talking.

Cheers everyone

• Like 2

Just registered on here - been a supporter for 40 years - through good and bad times but now seems the lowest period hence why I registered...I am determined not to give up.

I read this Forum daily and see conflicting comments, emotions, hope, despair, ideas .. all understandable apart from some that become abusive. 

In my Business experience, there are 2 main things that will impact Mr Lemsagam … 1) Financially ( revenue) and 2) limited/no support (fans) … both intrinsically linked.

We will be stronger and successful if our actions are coordinated - through the Trust in my opinion. They were set-up to represent the Fans so lets give them all the support we can.

Thanks to you  'underdog' ( sorry is it Diane ? ) and all your colleagues - know it's tough but Keep the Faith...let's all Keep the Faith 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, OAFC1958 South said:

Just registered on here - been a supporter for 40 years - through good and bad times but now seems the lowest period hence why I registered...I am determined not to give up.

I read this Forum daily and see conflicting comments, emotions, hope, despair, ideas .. all understandable apart from some that become abusive. 

In my Business experience, there are 2 main things that will impact Mr Lemsagam … 1) Financially ( revenue) and 2) limited/no support (fans) … both intrinsically linked.

We will be stronger and successful if our actions are coordinated - through the Trust in my opinion. They were set-up to represent the Fans so lets give them all the support we can.

Thanks to you  'underdog' ( sorry is it Diane ? ) and all your colleagues - know it's tough but Keep the Faith...let's all Keep the Faith 

welcome on board...

I am Tracy but I answer to most names..hahah

scratch that...I have just seen how many new members who have joined on line and I will have a busy day doing some admin...you swines...hahah

Edited by underdog

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

My non-application:

Dear Mr Lemsagam

I note with interest your desire to recruit Non-executive Directors as “Fans’ Representatives” and welcome the initiative.  I believe I have a number of relevant qualifications and attributes which would mean that I could make a positive contribution to the role including:

A long personal history as an Oldham supporter going back more than 50 years and via my father and grandfather to the founding of the club in 1895.

• Experience with fans organisations including OASIS (Oldham Athletic Supporters In the South) and Secure Athletic’s Future Existence (SAFE) which could be thought of as a forerunner of the current Supporters’ Trust (Oldham Athletic Supporters Foundation Limited, “the Trust”).

• A long career in the financial services industry with a particular focus on governance, compliance and company secretarial activity including at senior management and board level.

However, I cannot apply for the following reasons:

• The position does not have a clear description of responsibilities (to the best of my knowledge) so it is impossible to judge its attractiveness and feasibility.

• There already exists a mechanism for engaging with supporters via the Trust.  It is unclear why this avenue is not being pursued; a position which is particularly puzzling given the Trusts’ shareholding in Oldham Athletic (2004) Association Football Club (“OAAFC”).

• The loose use of language in the notification of the position is concerning and does not suggest full awareness of EFL requirements.  The words “Fit & Proper Test” do not appear in the EFL Rules; I assume the reference is to the Owners and Directors Test.

• I could not possibly meet the criteria to attend all home and away matches; very few people could do so and I would suggest that most of those who could may be those with fewer responsibilities and commensurately limited experience.

• In my experience the prime responsibilities of Non-Executive Directors are to have confidence of good and appropriate corporate governance and to be in a position to critically assess corporate strategy.

• It seems clear that at present the corporate governance of OAAFC does not meet what any reasonable person would consider to be best practice.  To have a board with a single director well over a year since you acquired control seems to me to be unacceptable.

• The position appears to be exclusively related to being the fans’ representative.  As Directors have wider responsibilities than such specific considerations it is far from clear to me that the person(s) being sought actually need to have the status of Director (Non-Executive not being a specific role in relevant Company Law).

• The above does not suggest that any individual who takes up this position will have the ability/status to assess or influence wider strategic issues

• Any individual taking this role is likely to experience significant conflicts of interest as has (in reality or perception,  it really doesn’t matter) occurred in the past.  As a Director they must be privy to information which is not (and should not) be in the public domain and it will be very challenging for them personally to manage that conflict of interest as doubtless the fans they are representing would expect significant and frequent disclosure.

As you rightly say there is a serious disconnect between you as the owner of the club and its supporters.  My conclusion is that this is not an appropriate way to resolve that situation for the following reasons:

• There is an atmosphere of suspicion around the club regarding both your motives for becoming involved in the club and your style of management.  Whether such suspicions are well founded I have no knowledge and it is of very limited relevance.  Until such doubts are assuaged by specific actions they are only likely to fester and grow.  For the reasons outlined above, particularly in respect of the actual or perceived conflict of interest, the appointment of any person to this role is unlikely to resolve that position.

• All indications are that there is a very limited and potentially inadequate management structure in place at OAAFC.  Making this appointment cannot go any way to solving that situation.

• Rightly or wrongly there is a belief that you as owner and your associates are heavily involved in player recruitment, retention and team selection.  While we as fans are clearly not fully aware of the truth or otherwise of such perceptions the weight of evidence, generally in the form of former employees making veiled, or more recently more explicit, suggestions that this is the case are a very significant factor in the disconnect.  Again, making this appointment cannot on its own go any way to solving that situation.

I hope that the points above may cause you to consider whether this is a logical approach to resolving the difficult current situation.  Should that be the case I have the following suggestions which I believe are more likely to bear fruit should you genuinely wish to solve this positon and move the club forward positively.  Given the investment and commitment that you have made I cannot conceive that would not be your wish.

• Engage with the Trust; their role already encompasses being fans’ representatives.  It is my understanding that Trust membership has grown recently and I would imagine it would grow substantially if a positive relationship between it and you as owner was in place.  That would negate any need for a Non-Executive Director(s).

• Provide as much clarity as possible on the following issues (this being a non-exclusive list)

• The nature of your current and planned future relationship with the landowners.

• The extent to which any future manager will have autonomy over player and playing matters.  If the many rumours on this subject are reflective of the truth it is hard to imagine many credible candidates wishing to become first team manager.  This would naturally include some information regarding the nature and extent of the role of Mohammed Lemsagam at OAAFC.

• The current state of OAAFC’s finances and your ability to ensure that the club meets its obligations.  Stories in the press regarding the alleged non-payment of minor commitments suggest, at best, very poor administration and, at worst, a very parlous financial position.

• Some insight into how, if at all, player transactions may benefit the agency with which you were formerly associated

• Your plans for the future including any potential acquisition of the land and buildings, in particular specific detail regarding the North Stand given its capacity to provide income from non-football activities.

• The truth or otherwise of rumours that either or both of the Main Stand and the Chadderton End require very substantial remedial work.

If you are not able to provide clarity on most, if not all, of these matters which are rightly causing great concern to the supporters there seems minimal prospect of the current disconnect being resolved.

These comments are made with the best of intentions from a longstanding supporter.  The club was there long before I was and it is my very strong desire that it continues to exist and thrive long after I am gone.  The current situation is parlous.  On the playing side the club is at its lowest ebb for over 45 years, the ground is decrepit, the pitch is woefully sub-standard etc.   I very much hope that you are in a position to turn the club in a more positive direction and you have rightly identified that you need the supporters, current and lapsed, on side to have a chance of doing so.  I hope you can see that some or all of the steps suggested above may help in achieving that.

Most of us will understand and agree with most, if not all, of that but unfortunately Abdallah won't with his level of English and understanding of British football/business practice....

Which, again, says to me that the main reasonable, deliverable demand that should be coming out of Saturday's Trust meeting and beyond is that he must employ an experienced football Chief Exec and become more hands off. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, underdog said:

welcome on board...

I am Tracy but I answer to most names..hahah

scratch that...I have just seen how many new members who have joined on line and I will have a busy day doing some admin...you swines...hahah

Sorry Tracy...is the Trust open to membership ?