Pete Wild

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many, including me, reacted very strongly to Scholes' resignation.

Might it, in reality, have been a blessing in disguise (from a purely managerial point of view)?

Was he simply just not cut out for management?

On the evidence, the players certainly did not perform for him for some reason.

2 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Might it, in reality, have been a blessing in disguise (from a purely managerial point of view)?

The man was a massive let down but most of all to himself

4 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I think that is already beyond doubt. 

10 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Indeed, they played for him for only one gamewhen he'd hardly spoke to them.  We saw none of the benefits of greater exposure and better signings, and all of the downsides of his inability to inspire or motivate crammed into a month.

We will never know if he would have been successful long term but before he is condemned unequivocally let’s remember that without last minute (or thereabouts) goals he would have accumulated 5 more points. That would have made his record look much better.

Was he to blame for those goals or was it brain freeze on the part of players in not recognising what needed to be done at that point of a match? Maybe he credited them with too much nous, and he would have learned from that I believe .

Anyway, good for Pete Wild in once again seizing his chance . COYB

Question is does Pete Wild want the job?

Why would he want to give up the relative security of the Youth system for the insecurity as a football manager?

Your average football manager wont be in the role for longer than 18months; that would not be the same for the youth manager.

Our particular owner, seems to go through them even faster.

Pete Wild has a young family and needs to think long term for himself and his family.

He has been thrust into the spotlight and done very well, so whilst the latest two wins are good for his CV, would he really want to take that plunge?

9 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Why would he want to give up the relative security of the Youth system for the insecurity as a football manager?

Your average football manager wont be in the role for longer than 18months; that would not be the same for the youth manager.

Pete Wild has a young family and needs to think long term for himself and his family.

He has been thrust into the spotlight and done very well, so whilst the latest two wins are good for his CV, would he really want to take that plunge?

Its an old fashioned thing called taking a risk or having ambition (its been out of vogue in public thinking since about 2010). 

Taking a risk and seeing how it pans out could dramatically change his life (and his family prospects) for the better.... or it could go horribly wrong for him.  He would get another job in football though, I have no doubt.  Nothing great in life comes from accepting your lot and staying in your comfort zone all your life.  

3 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Its an old fashioned thing called taking a risk or having ambition (its been out of vogue in public thinking since about 2010). 

Taking a risk and seeing how it pans out could dramatically change his life (and his family prospects) for the better.... or it could go horribly wrong for him.  He would get another job in football though, I have no doubt.  Nothing great in life comes from accepting your lot and staying in your comfort zone all your life.  

I think it was mentioned that if it didn't go as planned he would still have a position to revert back to, if gets that written into his contract then he's nothing to lose and will make a few extra quid till that time.

7 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

I don't think the risk is as great as some are making out.  As you say, he'd definitely get another job in football fairly easily.

Thanks largely to the win over Fulham, he now has a profile in the wider football world that he could only have dreamed of 6 months ago.

If he takes the job full time and gets binned off by AL after 5 or 6 months, his CV would get attention by virtue of the fact that whoever is doing the recruitment will now be well aware of who he is and what he has achieved here under difficult circumstances.

His worse case scenario is probably getting an equivalent youth team role at another club, paying more than he's on at Latics (I'm assuming he's probably still on his youth team wage).

11 minutes ago, singe said:

If we beat Newport as our game in hand, Swindon & Newport draw their other hgame in hand and Exeter beat Macc (not unreasonable) then the table looks like this! With 6 games to go!

image.png

Damn you ginger dwarf!  If only he'd turned us down... Ha.

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

Hasn't he already made that decision by applying for other managerial jobs (Rochdale was mentioned on here)?

4 hours ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Maybe I was a tad harsh on the fella, seems to be doing more than adequate at Swindon.

Does he? They're 3 points above us, and look at what a clusterfuck our season has been.

1 hour ago, bozman said:

I don't think the risk is as great as some are making out.  As you say, he'd definitely get another job in football fairly easily.

Thanks largely to the win over Fulham, he now has a profile in the wider football world that he could only have dreamed of 6 months ago.

If he takes the job full time and gets binned off by AL after 5 or 6 months, his CV would get attention by virtue of the fact that whoever is doing the recruitment will now be well aware of who he is and what he has achieved here under difficult circumstances.

His worse case scenario is probably getting an equivalent youth team role at another club, paying more than he's on at Latics (I'm assuming he's probably still on his youth team wage).

Exactly.

Along with him having managed the team to the best results of the 3 managers we've had what seems to have gone without mention is that he also seems to be the one who has managed up/managed Abdallah the best of the three. 

He strikes you as a normal lad with no ego who just knows football and is getting a tune out of a team via simple instructions, quality training sessions etc...

It makes you wonder how many more like him there are in the game who've never played who''ll never get a chance to the detriment of many, many clubs.

1 hour ago, singe said:

If we beat Newport as our game in hand, Swindon & Newport draw their other hgame in hand and Exeter beat Macc (not unreasonable) then the table looks like this! With 6 games to go!

image.png

It's a nice thought, but realistically......in the last 28 seasons (ignoring 42 game seasons between 1991/2 and 1994/5) the team finishing 7th in this league (going back to 1986/7) averaged 71.2 points.

So for us to get just to that target means winning 5 and drawing 2 of the last 7 games, or winning 6 of them. A tall order with Mansfield, Exeter, Colchester, Swindon and Newport (all above us) still to be played (and when did we last go on a run like that?!).

37 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Exactly.

Along with him having managed the team to the best results of the 3 managers we've had what seems to have gone without mention is that he also seems to be the one who has managed up/managed Abdallah the best of the three. 

He strikes you as a normal lad with no ego who just knows football and is getting a tune out of a team via simple instructions, quality training sessions etc...

It makes you wonder how many more like him there are in the game who've never played who''ll never get a chance to the detriment of many, many clubs.

I think PW has already turned a few heads in managerial circles, especially at a time when the same old names are being dredged up for vacant jobs.

A couple more wins two or three more decent results for us and we might lose him.

Sounds daft but that's how quickly this game can change.

Archived