Pete Wild

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

It's a nice thought, but realistically......in the last 28 seasons (ignoring 42 game seasons between 1991/2 and 1994/5) the team finishing 7th in this league (going back to 1986/7) averaged 71.2 points.

So for us to get just to that target means winning 5 and drawing 2 of the last 7 games, or winning 6 of them. A tall order with Mansfield, Exeter, Colchester, Swindon and Newport (all above us) still to be played (and when did we last go on a run like that?!).

But with 12(?) games to go last season, Rochdale were never going down and we were staying up. Maybe the odds against an outcome will go in our favour for once - like in 1993...

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

It's a nice thought, but realistically......in the last 28 seasons (ignoring 42 game seasons between 1991/2 and 1994/5) the team finishing 7th in this league (going back to 1986/7) averaged 71.2 points.

So for us to get just to that target means winning 5 and drawing 2 of the last 7 games, or winning 6 of them. A tall order with Mansfield, Exeter, Colchester, Swindon and Newport (all above us) still to be played (and when did we last go on a run like that?!).

The last time we made the playoffs or the last time we got promoted? (The dogs season is also a possibility). 

You can't expect to go on a run like that if you finish in the bottom half. I think we've finished bottom half, every season since the dogs. 

It's a bit like the chicken and egg scenario with a top half /playoff finish as the chicken. 

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

This is the tallest of tall orders, but of all the managers in the last decade I'd say PW's got me the most believing.

His record speaks for itself, with all the difficulties. He's done what many cannot do and changed it instantly, some skill.

The last 3 games he's managed P3 W3 D0 L 0 F7 A0

Just now, singe said:

This is the tallest of tall orders, but of all the managers in the last decade I'd say PW's got me the most believing.

His record speaks for itself, with all the difficulties. He's done what many cannot do and changed it instantly, some skill.

The last 3 games he's managed P3 W3 D0 L 0 F7 A0

4 if you include Yeovil, which you should... 

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

4 if you include Yeovil, which you should... 

HA! Very good!

But we conceded in that one, so..

Makes Scholes record look atrocious then.

We've never conceded in open play during the last 20 mins under PEete Wild. You can't argue against his game managment.

• 3 weeks later...

Really impressed with how PW comes across on interview. Really does talk a lot of sense and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Reassuring that he is planning for next season (regardless of what happens and whether he’s able to implement) too.

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He's doing well. I expect him to be announced on a two year deal before the season finishes. I then expect him to be sacked by Christmas...

IF PW is offered the job and IF he accepts the offer, I expect him to buck the trend of the Latics managerial merry-go-round. 

15 minutes ago, ncookie9 said:

Really impressed with how PW comes across on interview. Really does talk a lot of sense and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Reassuring that he is planning for next season (regardless of what happens and whether he’s able to implement) too.

Yes it belies his young age and tactically he seems to be able to translate his articulate way onto the pitch (hope I'm not speaking too soon)

I’m not overly convinced he’d take it. He may do, to put himself in the shop window for other jobs, but it’s risky. 

I think a lot of the aggro between him and Marco isn’t there because he’s caretaker. If he did take it, he would be faced with all the problems former managers have had. 

23 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m not overly convinced he’d take it. He may do, to put himself in the shop window for other jobs, but it’s risky. 

I think a lot of the aggro between him and Marco isn’t there because he’s caretaker. If he did take it, he would be faced with all the problems former managers have had. 

Or the players Marco likes and wants to play are much more prevalent in Mr Wild's plans. 

Marco isn't interfering if Wild wants to play the same players. 

I think some of Scholes' issues stemmed from wanting to play passing football, so he tended to opt for more technically gifted players. That was always going to be a problem with no transfer window and a squad of players not necessarily suited to playing that way. 

3 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Or the players Marco likes and wants to play are much more prevalent in Mr Wild's plans. 

Marco isn't interfering if Wild wants to play the same players. 

I think some of Scholes' issues stemmed from wanting to play passing football, so he tended to opt for more technically gifted players. That was always going to be a problem with no transfer window and a squad of players not necessarily suited to playing that way. 

Yep, agree with that. 

However it’s only a matter of time until Marco signs players not of Wild’s ilk or liking. An the friction starts again. 

Play who I want, when I want. Can only last so long for a plethora of reasons. 

18 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep, agree with that. 

However it’s only a matter of time until Marco signs players not of Wild’s ilk or liking. An the friction starts again. 

Play who I want, when I want. Can only last so long for a plethora of reasons. 

Yep. Even more so if the likes of Detective Shitpeas buy players too. 

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

I think he’d take it if offered again, his record is decent enough to enable another position in football. He will be enjoying it now and it will be too hard to turn down.

Agree - and let's not forget the important fact that, when signing a proper contract (they must exist at Latics!), it will offer him a degree of financial compensation should he lose his job. That carrot of some financial incentive/stability (plus a distinct pay rise) should seal the deal. He's humble, which is very endearing, and deserves his chance.

I will add that it's sod's law that my "boycott" has resulted in me missing the current phase of excitement - I didn't even watch on telly yesterday.

That was some decent attendance v Mansfield - how many did they bring please? 

Archived