Squad movements, summer 2019

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Many of these random foreign players are presumably connected in some way to “his brothers” football agency so there are fees and rake offs to be had but not sure I can put together the pieces 

Nobody can explain the maths on this.

If he hypothetically pays fees and takes a cut of that, at what point did the club become profitable where he doesn't have to put more than the cut from any hypothetical deal back into it from his own pocket.

Nobody can explain how he could make money doing this because the club needs funding

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

If he hypothetically pays fees and takes a cut of that, at what point did the club become profitable where he doesn't have to put more than the cut from any hypothetical deal back into it from his own pocket.

Nobody can explain how he could make money doing this because the club needs funding

Nobody can explain anything he's doing

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It surely has to be on the other side of the deal...ie do we actually own 100% of the player or do we find that if any of them make it and are sold on a chunk of the fee goes to the agency that AL and MO obviously have no connection with now, at all , whatsoever in any shape or form.

Or, is it possible that it is legit and they genuinely believe they are using their connections to tap in to a low cost, undiscovered pool of talent?

Perhaps Barry and the Trust Board member could provide some clarity 🙂

On 5/2/2019 at 11:29 AM, Crusoe said:

Every year I think I'll give this thread a miss, yet here I am again.

Confirmed

1. Gary Woods (2021)

39. Gregor Zabret (season-long loan from Swansea)

2. Zak Mills (2020)

3. Alex Iacovitti (2021 plus option)

4. Sonhy Sefil (2020)

6. Jamie Stott (2020 plus option)

15. Javid Swaby-Neavin (probably 2020 plus option)

34. Tom Hamer (2022)

7. Johan Branger-Engone (2020)

10. Mohamed Maouche (2020)

11. Gevaro Nepomuceno (2020)

13. Florian Gonzales (2021 plus option)

14. Harry Robinson (2020 plus option)

17. Christopher Missilou (2020)

18. Dylan Fage (2021)

24. Mohamad Sylla (2020)

33. Chris Eagles (2020 plus option)

Giles Coke (2020)

9. Urko Vera (2020)

16. Scott Wilson (2020)

19. Désiré Sègbè Azankpo (2020 plus option)

21. Marvin Kokos (2021 plus option)

Kielen Adams (2020 plus option)

Chris O'Grady (2020)

#dogshit

#embarrassing

#agenda 

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It's actually very easy in theory - but I`m not getting drawn into it - just dangerous territory all round

Looking at the squad, it’s self evident that we are short of defenders in numbers as well as quality. Perhaps more will come in when the Bury situation blows up completely and the players can walk away? Whatever happens the defence will be weak starting the season, and the midfield has numbers but not the kind of battlers needed for L2. Maybe Al’s plan is to develop youngsters in the hope of selling them back to French clubs!

1 hour ago, steveecky said:

Looking at the squad, it’s self evident that we are short of quality. Perhaps more will come in when the Bury situation blows up completely and the players can walk away? Whatever happens the defence will be weak starting the season, and the midfield has numbers but not the kind of battlers needed for L2. Maybe Al’s plan is to develop youngsters in the hope of selling them back to French clubs!

Fify

The squad that someone listed on here we currently have lacks quality and experience. On top of that only 6 players are contracted beyond the end of this coming season so I’d imagine with relegation a fair possibility it will be a case of starting all over again with almost a blank slate in the National League, maybe he is cost cutting by getting relegated and reducing the wage bill even further at a lower level?

10 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

It surely has to be on the other side of the deal...ie do we actually own 100% of the player or do we find that if any of them make it and are sold on a chunk of the fee goes to the agency that AL and MO obviously have no connection with now, at all , whatsoever in any shape or form.

Or, is it possible that it is legit and they genuinely believe they are using their connections to tap in to a low cost, undiscovered pool of talent?

Perhaps Barry and the Trust Board member could provide some clarity 🙂

Third party ownership was banned by FIFA with effect from May 2015. The authorities would come down on us like a ton of bricks if that was suspected.

Of course I'm sure there are dodgy dealings still happening around the world, but I'm struggling to see how anyone could profit from filling the club with players that aren't good enough. Putting a turd in a shop window doesn't make it a must-buy. And the worse the club do, the less appealing our players are to buyers.

15 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Third party ownership was banned by FIFA with effect from May 2015. The authorities would come down on us like a ton of bricks if that was suspected.

Of course I'm sure there are dodgy dealings still happening around the world, but I'm struggling to see how anyone could profit from filling the club with players that aren't good enough. Putting a turd in a shop window doesn't make it a must-buy. And the worse the club do, the less appealing our players are to buyers.

Indeed. I've long since dismissed any notion of nefarious motives and just assume incompetence/delusion now. 

There have been a few people saying that the window runs up to end of August so plenty of time to sign players etc, so I thought I'd have a little look back.  Info from wikipedia so may be incorrect...

Here's a list of players signed after the season has started, going back 5 years:

2017/18: Kyeremeh, Placide, Nepomuceno, Omrani, Macouche, Byrne (L), Bryan (L), Doyle (L), Ruddy (L), Menig (L)
2016/17: McLaughlin, Dunne, Ladapo (L), Jahraldo-Martin, Dummigan
2015/16: Yeates, Stankevicius (L)
2014/15: Noble, Poleon, Tidser (L), Wilkinson (L)
2013/14: Philliskirk, Lanzoni, Kusunga, Rachubka, Mills (L), Rusnak (L)

I'd argue that in 4 of those seasons (2013/14 to 2016/17) we made very few signings after the season started who had a big impact on the first team during that season.  However, in 2017/2018 quite a few of those late signings became important first team players.  Just a shame that by the time of the last signing (Maouche on September 12) we had 4 points from the first 7 games and were ultimately relegated.

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

There have been a few people saying that the window runs up to end of August so plenty of time to sign players etc, so I thought I'd have a little look back.  Info from wikipedia so may be incorrect...

Here's a list of players signed after the season has started, going back 5 years:

2017/18: Kyeremeh, Placide, Nepomuceno, Omrani, Macouche, Byrne (L), Bryan (L), Doyle (L), Ruddy (L), Menig (L)
2016/17: McLaughlin, Dunne, Ladapo (L), Jahraldo-Martin, Dummigan
2015/16: Yeates, Stankevicius (L)
2014/15: Noble, Poleon, Tidser (L), Wilkinson (L)
2013/14: Philliskirk, Lanzoni, Kusunga, Rachubka, Mills (L), Rusnak (L)

I'd argue that in 4 of those seasons (2013/14 to 2016/17) we made very few signings after the season started who had a big impact on the first team during that season.  However, in 2017/2018 quite a few of those late signings became important first team players.  Just a shame that by the time of the last signing (Maouche on September 12) we had 4 points from the first 7 games and were ultimately relegated.

To complete the list last season we signed the following after the season started. 

Sylla (January), Sefil (J), Vera (J), Lang (L), Lyden (L), Palmer (Emergency Loan), Iacovitti (L-J), Afolayan (L-J), Dearnley (L-J). 

Lang is really the only player who was first choice for the whole season from that lot. 

It's not unusual for loan signings to be completed in August. I'd expect we might have a few loan signings to come given how we have only got one so far. 

Just now, rudemedic said:

To complete the list last season we signed the following after the season started. 

Sylla (January), Sefil (J), Vera (J), Lang (L), Lyden (L), Palmer (Emergency Loan), Iacovitti (L-J), Afolayan (L-J), Dearnley (L-J). 

Lang is really the only player who was first choice for the whole season from that lot. 

It's not unusual for loan signings to be completed in August. I'd expect we might have a few loan signings to come given how we have only got one so far. 

Ha, not sure why I didn't include last season.  Yes - last season Lang and Lyden came in on loan after the season started.  I was only looking at signings between the start of the season and the end of the August window (except 17/18 when I included some unattached September signings), not January signings.

But the point still stands - I was looking to see if it rings true that decent signings are made in this period coming up to try and find a crumb of optimism!  It seems the only season we did do this in recent years they came too late as we had a terrible start and ended up going down. Loan signings may come in, but they would normally compliment/improve a decent and settled squad that's had the bulk of pre-season together.  This season it feels like we are clinging to the hope that any incoming loans will be key first team players.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

And was Surridge not after the season kicked off?

So, to recap: providing that by 5pm on Monday 2 September we have...

- at least 1 new experienced centre back

- preferably a better left back

- a better creative central midfielder

- at least one striker who's scored more than five goals outside the Ruritanian Dunkin Donuts Regional Championship Division 3

- a new manager and assistant

- a new owner who's not a pantomime villain

...we'll be laughing.

Archived