Squad movements, summer 2019

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/2/2019 at 11:29 AM, Crusoe said:

Confirmed

1. Gary Woods (2021)

20. Zeus de la Paz (2020 plus option)

39. Gregor Zabret (season-long loan from Swansea)

2. Zak Mills (2020)

3. Alex Iacovitti (2021 plus option)

4. Sonhy Sefil (2020)

5. Ashley Smith-Brown (season-long loan from Plymouth)

6. Jamie Stott (2020 plus option)

29. Tomáš Egert (2020 plus option)

31. David Wheater (2020 plus option)

34. Tom Hamer (2022)

7. Johan Branger-Engone (2020)

10. Mohamed Maouche (2020)

11. Gevaro Nepomuceno (2020)

13. Florian Gonzales (2020 plus option)

17. Christopher Missilou (2020)

18. Dylan Fage (2021)

22. Dominic McHale (2020)

24. Mohamad Sylla (2020)

26. Jonny Smith (season-long loan from Bristol City)

33. Chris Eagles (2020 plus option)

Filipe Morais (season-long loan from Crawley Town)

Giles Coke (2020)

9. Urko Vera (2020)

16. Scott Wilson (2020)

19. Désiré Sègbè Azankpo (2020 plus option)

21. Marvin Kokos (2021 plus option)

27. Kielen Adams (2020 plus option)

Breaking down the squad positionally and management structure of the club:

Goalkeepers

Actually fairly decent.  Woods is an experienced keeper and has looked decent so far and Zeus is an adequate backup.  Zabret seems a bit pointless and, on the face of it, is a waste of a loan.

Defenders

Fine at right back, Hamer is an excellent young prospect and Mills has looked good.  Mixed at Centre Back, Sefil, Egert, Stott and Iacovitti are either questionable or unproven, but any one of them alongside Wheater would probably be a decent partnership (proof of just how important he is).  Left back is a bit worrying, Smith-Brown doesn't seem to have impressed so far, I think Iacovitti has been OK but hasn't total convinced a lot of people.  With the logjam in the wide midfield positions, maybe Nepomuceno will be the answer at left back.

Deep Midfielders

Missilou is a good player at this level and I think Sylla will prove to be a useful player.  If played in this role I think Fage will be very good, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him played elsewhere.  I also think that Maouche would do OK in a deeper role as long as there's a physical player alongside him.  Gonzales and Dolan have a lot to prove.

Advanced Midfielders

In Branger-Engone, Maouche, Nepomuceno, Fage, McHale, Smith, Eagles and Morais, we have 8 players fighting it out for 3 roles.  I trust the ability of most of them (McHale excepted as I have no idea what he's like) but I really worry that the team is going to tinkered a lot by Mo, which won't really give any of them the chance to get a consistent run of form.  At least a few of them might be able to do well in other positions in the team.

Strikers

Very concerning.  All of them have a lot to prove but the worst thing for me is that none of them are suited to the role that they are being asked to play in the formation that's being used.  Vera is probably the closest thing that we've got to a target man but his lack of speed and mobility makes him a big worry.  Wilson looks like a really good finisher from last season's highlights, but played alongside a foil in Harry Smith that he won't get here.  Azankpo has the speed, energy and (ironically) the desire to press opposition defences, but isn't a proven goalscorer and doesn't have the strength and power to be a real threat to defences.  Not a clue about Kokos and Adams but neither can be expected to be our saviour.

Banide

The squad might actually be suited to the role he's been given.  The squad as a whole and individually has flaws, but there are some technically proficient experienced players (Eagles, Morais, Maouche, Nepomuceno) and some promising young players who he can work with and hopefully develop.  Weirdly I think he will be judged on performances of players rather than results, but that in itself is extremely worrying.

Lemsagam's/Owen/Management

There might be a masterplan and I actually think they've tried hard to improve the team rather than intentionally sabotage it or let it fall into disrepair, but their transfer strategy seems to be so scattergun and naive for the environment that they're working in.  As a result there's a gaping hole up front that really could put our Football League status at risk.

With Mo having such a clear influence on team selection without any of the culpability, the club is in a position where standards could easily drop so much that they could be irreparable. 

Finally it can't be ignored just how disgraceful it is that we are realistically looking at a battle against relegation into non-league.  There are a lot of people over many years who have contributed to this sorry state of affairs, but if the Lemsagam's don't take more responsibility for their role in this shambles then we will keep heading downwards before there's any hope of heading upwards.

17 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Breaking down the squad positionally and management structure of the club:

Goalkeepers

Actually fairly decent.  Woods is an experienced keeper and has looked decent so far and Zeus is an adequate backup.  Zabret seems a bit pointless and, on the face of it, is a waste of a loan.

Defenders

Fine at right back, Hamer is an excellent young prospect and Mills has looked good.  Mixed at Centre Back, Sefil, Egert, Stott and Iacovitti are either questionable or unproven, but any one of them alongside Wheater would probably be a decent partnership (proof of just how important he is).  Left back is a bit worrying, Smith-Brown doesn't seem to have impressed so far, I think Iacovitti has been OK but hasn't total convinced a lot of people.  With the logjam in the wide midfield positions, maybe Nepomuceno will be the answer at left back.

Deep Midfielders

Missilou is a good player at this level and I think Sylla will prove to be a useful player.  If played in this role I think Fage will be very good, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him played elsewhere.  I also think that Maouche would do OK in a deeper role as long as there's a physical player alongside him.  Gonzales and Dolan have a lot to prove.

Advanced Midfielders

In Branger-Engone, Maouche, Nepomuceno, Fage, McHale, Smith, Eagles and Morais, we have 8 players fighting it out for 3 roles.  I trust the ability of most of them (McHale excepted as I have no idea what he's like) but I really worry that the team is going to tinkered a lot by Mo, which won't really give any of them the chance to get a consistent run of form.  At least a few of them might be able to do well in other positions in the team.

Strikers

Very concerning.  All of them have a lot to prove but the worst thing for me is that none of them are suited to the role that they are being asked to play in the formation that's being used.  Vera is probably the closest thing that we've got to a target man but his lack of speed and mobility makes him a big worry.  Wilson looks like a really good finisher from last season's highlights, but played alongside a foil in Harry Smith that he won't get here.  Azankpo has the speed, energy and (ironically) the desire to press opposition defences, but isn't a proven goalscorer and doesn't have the strength and power to be a real threat to defences.  Not a clue about Kokos and Adams but neither can be expected to be our saviour.

Banide

The squad might actually be suited to the role he's been given.  The squad as a whole and individually has flaws, but there are some technically proficient experienced players (Eagles, Morais, Maouche, Nepomuceno) and some promising young players who he can work with and hopefully develop.  Weirdly I think he will be judged on performances of players rather than results, but that in itself is extremely worrying.

Lemsagam's/Owen/Management

There might be a masterplan and I actually think they've tried hard to improve the team rather than intentionally sabotage it or let it fall into disrepair, but their transfer strategy seems to be so scattergun and naive for the environment that they're working in.  As a result there's a gaping hole up front that really could put our Football League status at risk.

With Mo having such a clear influence on team selection without any of the culpability, the club is in a position where standards could easily drop so much that they could be irreparable. 

Finally it can't be ignored just how disgraceful it is that we are realistically looking at a battle against relegation into non-league.  There are a lot of people over many years who have contributed to this sorry state of affairs, but if the Lemsagam's don't take more responsibility for their role in this shambles then we will keep heading downwards before there's any hope of heading upwards.

Seems like a fair assessment but  lacking hysterics and whining ? What you doing here ? Your sort not welcome. There’s nothing for you here. 

17 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Just checked both 18 years old. We are fucked 

There’s never been a decent 18 year old striker. Ever. Get back in your box Michael Owen you weren’t ready. 

Not saying they will be the answer. But to right them off on age is a joke. Give the lads the first quarter of an hour first...

26 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

There’s never been a decent 18 year old striker. Ever. Get back in your box Michael Owen you weren’t ready. 

Not saying they will be the answer. But to right them off on age is a joke. Give the lads the first quarter of an hour first...

Defoe on loan at Bournemouth at 18yo..29 games 18 goals. But he was an exception.

9 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Ok fair point I'll give them both ten minutes, then it vile abuse. 

Ps Defoe was on loan from the prem, these two are not that pedigree.

51 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Ok fair point I'll give them both ten minutes, then it vile abuse. 

Ps Defoe was on loan from the prem, these two are not that pedigree.

And how many times do we read on here “Prem kids are not what we need “ then we sign someone who has experience and then it’s a “journeyman”. You can’t win on here sometimes. 

I’m not “bumming” the regime either cos it was the same under SC. 

Do do I think we are a decent striker short ? Answer- Fucking right I do. 

I just hope one of these unknowns can come good, so I won’t write any of them off yet. Not even Vera. 

• 1 month later...

1.  Gary Woods (2021)

41. Ellis Allen (youth)

2.  Zak Mills (2020)

3.  Alex Iacovitti (2021 plus option)

4.  Sonhy Sefil (2020)

5.  Ashley Smith-Brown (season-long loan from Plymouth)

6.  Jamie Stott (2020 plus option)

15. Javid Swaby-Neavin (probably 2020 plus option, out on a half-season loan to Radcliffe)

34. Tom Hamer (2022)

47. Taylor Jones (youth)

7.  Johan Branger-Engone (2020)

8.  Filipe Morais (season-long loan from Crawley Town)

11. Gevaro Nepomuceno (2020, on loan to Chesterfield until January 2020)

13. Florian Gonzales (2020 plus option, on loan to Ashton Utd until January 2020)

14. Harry Robinson (2020 plus option, on a half-season loan to Crusaders)

18. Dylan Fage (2021)

24. Mohamad Sylla (2020)

25. Chris McCann (short-term contract until January 2020?)

9.  Urko Vera (2020)

16. Scott Wilson (2020)

Giles Coke (2020) - training with the youth team?

Callum Dolan - contract terminated

© Crusoe

16 hours ago, LaticMark said:

1.  Gary Woods (2021)

41. Ellis Allen (youth)

2.  Zak Mills (2020)

3.  Alex Iacovitti (2021 plus option)

4.  Sonhy Sefil (2020)

5.  Ashley Smith-Brown (season-long loan from Plymouth)

6.  Jamie Stott (2020 plus option)

15. Javid Swaby-Neavin (probably 2020 plus option, out on a half-season loan to Radcliffe)

34. Tom Hamer (2022)

47. Taylor Jones (youth)

7.  Johan Branger-Engone (2020)

8.  Filipe Morais (season-long loan from Crawley Town)

11. Gevaro Nepomuceno (2020, on loan to Chesterfield until January 2020)

13. Florian Gonzales (2020 plus option, on loan to Ashton Utd until January 2020)

14. Harry Robinson (2020 plus option, on a half-season loan to Crusaders)

18. Dylan Fage (2021)

24. Mohamad Sylla (2020)

25. Chris McCann (short-term contract until January 2020?)

9.  Urko Vera (2020)

16. Scott Wilson (2020)

Giles Coke (2020) - training with the youth team?

Callum Dolan - contract terminated

© Crusoe

Look at that attack, has league 2 quaking!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived