Pre Season 2019

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Frankie Bunn admitted that he didn't have a clue about League 2 not long after he was appointed. 

His early tactics, like playing for a 0-0 at Yeovil, are good examples of this. 

Knowledge of League 2 shouldn't be a prerequisite for the job, otherwise we are limiting possible applicants. The ability to quickly acquire knowledge of League 2 should be a current prerequisite for the role. 

A U.K. based manager at any level previously would have a good idea of the standard of EFL 2.

How will a foreign manager like Banide hit the ground running when he’s never set foot in the country and highly likely that he’s never seen an EFL league game before?

You’re right it shouldn’t be a prerequisite for the job but we are in such a mess squad wise that by the time he gets to grips with the division and the integration of a stream of foreign players we could already be in a relegation dogfight. At which point he will probably do one, with or without a little push from AL.

I cannot for the life of me see how this plan is ever going to work.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:59 AM, Dave_Og said:

The day anyone cares about a pre season friendly... 

Other than Marseille at home - with Balotelli & Payet on show might’ve earned us some money in gate receipts vs Morocco that will cost us a bit. Curiously, Stanley play Marsellie after we get back from Morocco, so turning it down seems even stranger.

What's the current list of pre-season games looking like to date?

I am not interested in attending home fixtures v Rochdale or PNE/Hudders/Forest etc. (done those last few seasons)  but may take in games at non-league grounds I have never been to - am aware we are due at Glossop NE, Stafford Rangers & Winsford United. Not been to any of those to see a game but have been to Stafford on many occasions via Waller tours en route to Southern away games in 1990s/2000s.       

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Other than Marseille at home - with Balotelli & Payet on show might’ve earned us some money in gate receipts vs Morocco that will cost us a bit. Curiously, Stanley play Marsellie after we get back from Morocco, so turning it down seems even stranger.

You'd imagine someone is paying someone to stage that game...

14 hours ago, deyres42 said:

You'd imagine someone is paying someone to stage that game...

...you’d hope Marco’s local connections mean we are not paying for it.... but the trip itself you’d assume won’t be cheap. I’d have thought he’d have been quite keen on the idea of hosting Marseille with his French connections. Seems an odd one.

19 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Would it be their first team? Can't imagine what would be in that for them. 

20 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Not been to any of those to see a game but have been to Stafford on many occasions via Waller tours en route to Southern away games in 1990s/2000s.       

Would that have been Russ Waller? - the lad from Southend originally, who lived on Shaw Road Estate and used to run the programme shop at back of Rochdale Road end (he now lives in Australia if it was).

6 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Would that have been Russ Waller? - the lad from Southend originally, who lived on Shaw Road Estate and used to run the programme shop at back of Rochdale Road end (he now lives in Australia if it was).

No Wiseowl, Steve Waller who ran the "fun buses" for a few seasons 

Not sure if he still goes anymore, not seen him for years 

6 hours ago, wiseowl said:

I remember that shop fondly.  I bought a bundle of Latics programmes from there on my first ever trip to BP in 1980.  Still got them.  Don't know the name of the guy who ran it but if it was Russ Waller he was a nice chap.

8 hours ago, Sparkleking said:

I remember that shop fondly.  I bought a bundle of Latics programmes from there on my first ever trip to BP in 1980.  Still got them.  Don't know the name of the guy who ran it but if it was Russ Waller he was a nice chap.

Was that Jim Kirton who ran the shop?

he was a good guy 

17 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Possibly not, but the prospect might’ve got a few in....? They’re also playing Rangers and Stoke while over here, so you’d imagine they’ll all travel?

Very surprised we didnt stick a friendly with Rangers in the GE deal. A trip to Ibrox would have been a good start before FGR away for the fans.

20 minutes ago, youngen said:

Very surprised we didnt stick a friendly with Rangers in the GE deal. A trip to Ibrox would have been a good start before FGR away for the fans.

On occasions these type of friendlies are carried over to next pre season, here's hoping.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:24 PM, wiseowl said:

Russ Waller! That's a name from the past. Remember going to Plymouth away with him many moons ago. Was a mate of John Whitehead, who also ran coaches now and again, if I'm thinking of the right lad