Pre Season 2019

1 hour ago, maddog said:

Very ‘glass half-full’ attitude. It’s also win-win. 

Sorry but I hate this attitude and theory it's not win-win. If Latics win, I'm unhappy I've just lost £50. If my bet wins and I've just won £55 profit I'm unhappy as the team I love have just got beat. It's therefore not win-win as you'll always be unhappy in some part no matter what happens ..

Just now, oafcshuck said:

Sorry but I hate this attitude and theory it's not win-win. If Latics win, I'm unhappy I've just lost £50. If my bet wins and I've just won £55 profit I'm unhappy as the team I love have just got beat. It's therefore not win-win as you'll always be unhappy in some part no matter what happens ..

No ones asking you to put the bet on, Shuck. Christ.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Give it to charity. That's actually a serious suggestion, you're right that making money from betting against our club wouldn't sit well but I'll happily pledge half of anything I make to the O4U charity. I have two bets on which I hope will be losers but the odds were too far out of line to resist. If they come in they will return £390; if that comes to pass I will donate £195.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Give it to charity. That's actually a serious suggestion, you're right that making money from betting against our club wouldn't sit well but I'll happily pledge half of anything I make to the O4U charity. I have two bets on which I hope will be losers but the odds were too far out of line to resist. If they come in they will return £390; if that comes to pass I will donate £195.

I'm sorry but the odds aren't way out line either. 

18 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

I don't get your point, people are saying betting on Forest Green is a win-win situation when in my opinion it's not as you can't win at all!

The point is it's win-win. If your bet wins, your bet wins = win. If it doesn't win, it means Latics have picked up 1/3 points = win.

39 minutes ago, maddog said:

The point is it's win-win. If your bet wins, your bet wins = win. If it doesn't win, it means Latics have picked up 1/3 points = win.

No amount of Class A's is going to help him if they score a last minute equaliser though....

43 minutes ago, maddog said:

But you can't win as you'll be either pissed off as you've lost money or that Latics haven't won ..

Just now, jorvik_latic said:

But you won't have lost money like you said.

People call it a win-win situation. I call it a no win-no win situation, as regardless of what happens I'd be pissed off. I'd rather just back Oldham to win and then it's a win-win situation.

21 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

But you can't win as you'll be either pissed off as you've lost money or that Latics haven't won ..

I guess betting against Latics is just not for you, I've been betting against us for years and have done pretty well doing so as well.

I particularly remember a midweek match a good few years ago, we were at home to Leeds. I saw the teamsheets and thought bloody hell we are going to get mullered here, we had a few injuries and Paul Black was playing at left back (which speaks volumes for the strength of the Latics team that night). I went to the bookmaker at the back of the main stand and asked for a price on Leeds, they were 8/11, I thought that was buying money, I had a bout £120 on me and quickly put it all on.

We lost the game 2-0 and never threatened the Leeds goal, I left the ground that night and although disappointed we had lost, I collected my money and didn't feel atall disloyal or that I had betrayed the club.

We were going to lose with or without my bet, I just took the opportunity of profiting from the loss.

I've also on occasions backed us to lose and we have either drawn or won, that's the gamble, I don't see why anyone should get bent out of shape just because they've predicted Latics to lose, we do lose quite often.

Edited by Hometownclub

5 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

But I'll be pissed off Latics haven't won. So I won't be happy. So I won't be winning. 

You are at least guaranteed to win on something whereas your philosophy means you could either win or lose only. 

5 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

People call it a win-win situation. I call it a no win-no win situation, as regardless of what happens I'd be pissed off. I'd rather just back Oldham to win and then it's a win-win situation.

So what are you having then - the draw?