Maouche signs 1 year extension

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sparkleking said:

Isn't this an old thread that has been bumped?  Has Maouche actually signed a new contract or does all of this refer to last year?

I’d like to know this also. As far as I can see, there was a random tweet about him wanting the captaincy and bollocks about him being AL’s spy.

I personally don’t think he’ll stay! What a player though!!! Nobody near him technically in this league. 

The last two sentences certainly made me laugh. Average League 2 player who frequently can't be arsed and always liable to have a sulk. We need someone with a bit of backbone, not someone who only plays when he feels like it.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:49 AM, Clubfootkilkenny said:
I personally don’t think he’ll stay! What a player though!!! Nobody near him technically in this league. 

10 hours ago, Bristolatic said:The last two sentences certainly made me laugh. Average League 2 player who frequently can't be arsed and always liable to have a sulk. We need someone with a bit of backbone, not someone who only plays when he feels like it.

There is no doubt that Maouche has good technical skills (which is the point that @Clubfootkilkenny is making). And yes, I agree that there are times when his attitude does let him down. 
However he also comes in for a lot of unwarranted criticism. Many fans read about his alleged salary and will often use that against him when his standard of play dips. Another incorrect criticism levelled against him is that he doesn’t tackle - simply not true. 

He is way better than an average league 2 player’ in my opinion. Whether the EFL League 2 is the right place for him to play his football is the real question. 

I fully accept consistency is an issue.

What I don’t agree with is that him, or any other professional footballer, is accused of not being arsed or not trying. 

He’s a creative player however having only Desire or Wilson as the only forward pass for the majority of the season may explain why he tends to hold onto it for a split second longer than he should.

I think he’d be a key player in a team challenging at the top end of the table, obviously we need to recruit better this summer for this to happen but creative midfielders, especially at this level, are harder to replace than your average workman-like midfielder. 

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

There is no doubt that Maouche has good technical skills (which is the point that @Clubfootkilkenny is making). And yes, I agree that there are times when his attitude does let him down. 
However he also comes in for a lot of unwarranted criticism. Many fans read about his alleged salary and will often use that against him when his standard of play dips. Another incorrect criticism levelled against him is that he doesn’t tackle - simply not true. 

He is way better than an average league 2 player’ in my opinion. Whether the EFL League 2 is the right place for him to play his football is the real question. 

I agree he does come in for criticism because of his alleged salary, but I couldn't care less about that. I also agree that he does tackle but, for me, that only happens when he appears "to be in the mood"; pretty much how his overall performances are. 

Two or three superb passes per game and one or two very good performances in every ten (IMHO) just doesn't cut it for me. 

And if you think there are times when players don't try, listen again to 

the interview with Peter Clarke where he said that half the team couldn't be bothered at Carlisle and that was the end for Frankie Bunn. Asked if it was a deliberate ploy, he was non committal.

You do see it happen where players seem to be half arsed and then start busting a gut when a new manager rocks up.

If Maouche turned in 7 out of 10 performances 8 or 9 times out of 10, then I'd have him in a heartbeat but, for me, he's not worth having for what he gives us on a regular basis.

I guess we all see every player in a different light.

28 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I agree he does come in for criticism because of his alleged salary, but I couldn't care less about that. I also agree that he does tackle but, for me, that only happens when he appears "to be in the mood"; pretty much how his overall performances are. 

One or two superb passes per game and one or two very good performances in every ten (IMHO) just doesn't cut it for me. 

And if you think there are times when players don't try, listen again to 

the interview with Peter Clarke where he said that half the team couldn't be bothered at Carlisle and that was the end for Frankie Bunn. Asked if it was a deliberate ploy, he was non committal.

You do see it happen where players seem to be half arsed and then start busting a gut when a new manager rocks up.

If Maouche turned in 7 out of 10 performances 8 or 9 times out of 10, then I'd have him in a heartbeat but, for me, he's not worth having for what he gives us on a regular basis.

I guess we all see every player in a different light.

Agree with all of this, with that small change I made.

It was crystal clear that in that Carlisle match several players weren't playing to Bunn's agenda.

3 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

He’s a creative player however having only Desire or Wilson as the only forward pass for the majority of the season may explain why he tends to hold onto it for a split second longer than he should.

He didn't do much better with Lang and Surridge up front either..

He's not that talented really but his attitude isn't all that bad either in the second half of the season when we used him as an impact sub he showed alot more energy and was spriniting around the pitch getting after things abit more compared to the start of the season where he swanned around the pitch He's useful as sub coming on for a team trying to avoid relegation he'd be a very talented player at the level below can't see too many clubs above coming in for him.  

7 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

I fully accept consistency is an issue.

What I don’t agree with is that him, or any other professional footballer, is accused of not being arsed or not trying. 

I think he’d be a key player in a team challenging at the top end of the table, obviously we need to recruit better this summer for this to happen but creative midfielders, especially at this level, are harder to replace than your average workman-like midfielder. 

He won't be a key player in any team because he isn't a team player.

A bit of talent but astonishing he's lasted this long as a team sportsman with his attitude.

Is it too late for him to take up tennis?

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

He won't be a key player in any team because he isn't a team player.

A bit of talent but astonishing he's lasted this long as a team sportsman with his attitude.

Is it too late for him to take up tennis?

There's room for individual talent in a team,. I go as far back as Alan Groves who just did what he wanted and the rest let him get on with it., 

50 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

There's room for individual talent in a team,. I go as far back as Alan Groves who just did what he wanted and the rest let him get on with it., 

But Maouche is no Groves !

The game has changed a hell of a lot since his time, but even he needed his more workman-like team mates help to enable him to weave his unique magic.

It's great watching a maverick let loose on the opposition but an overall team ethic is also necessary especially at our current level.

Promotions are not achieved with an individual piece of brilliance but by hard working talented players who play to the best of their ability over the whole season.

If Maouche plays every week like he did in front of the cameras he'd be well worth a starting place....... at clubs bigger than us. 

It's not his talent that's holding him back.

10 hours ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Not as effective as Ollie Banks.

There, I said it.

Can see the similarities, but wouldn't say Banks did anything for us either.

Now he really was a player who really wouldn't put a tackle in.  

And haven't seen Maouche's dad whingeing on Twitter about us either

13 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

But Maouche is no Groves !

The game has changed a hell of a lot since his time, but even he needed his more workman-like team mates help to enable him to weave his unique magic.

It's great watching a maverick let loose on the opposition but an overall team ethic is also necessary especially at our current level.

Promotions are not achieved with an individual piece of brilliance but by hard working talented players who play to the best of their ability over the whole season.

If Maouche plays every week like he did in front of the cameras he'd be well worth a starting place....... at clubs bigger than us. 

It's not his talent that's holding him back.

I didnt say Maouche was Groves, but an individual talent. I saw a lot of Groves and he had many off days, enigmatic is a word often used for such players.

It's a team game and there's room for many styles IMO.

This is a quick selection from posts  ~2 years ago-and still the debate goes on.

On 8/29/2018 at 7:23 PM, adamoafc said:

Have you seen enough of maouche to decide that we do? Think he’s more than capeable in this league and if Byrne doesn’t go we aren’t going to leave 6k a week out of the squad for much longer. 

On 8/29/2018 at 8:00 PM, League one forever said:

I haven’t seen a lot of Maouche, but then who has? If he’s so good, why can’t he catch in a very depleted midfield? Plus he’s been here a relatively long time- and again why has he hardly figured?  He’s a non event at the moment. Coke as leeslover says may come good in another half dozen games. He has hasn’t played a lot in the last couple of years, but so far he’s another non event. Gardner is running his bollocks off, but trying to do the work of two. An Baxter as good as he is, seems to need endless run outs to even complete  half a game. Byrne- who knows?? We seem to be getting by by the skin of our teeth. 

On 8/29/2018 at 8:19 PM, yarddog73 said:

Maouche is shite, don't care where he's played he's not suited to lower league English football.

Coke for me is a waste of time, all this crap about giving him time to get up to speed is bollocks, he had a full pre season and played every friendly, he now plays like his heart isn't in it which is tragic considering we gave him a two year contract :petesake:

Just to add Dummigan and Fane are to come back as potential midfielders so depending on how much time they are going to be out for may have some bearing on what business we do.

On 8/30/2018 at 5:49 AM, GlossopLatic said:

In the last 12 months since Maouche arrival we have seen 3 managers who havent picked him and midfielders such as Omrani Pringle Benyu Coke Banks all who would be classed as fairly poor get in ahead of him. When you also factor in his alleged £4k a week salary he must go down as one of the worst signings the club has ever made.

Archived