Forest Green Rovers (a)

Defence including goal keeper did well. I was on Sefil watch and thought he was ok. Mills was mom for me and with Hamer, gives us a strong left flank. Other side not so good but Iacovetti was alright when defending. 

Midfield was weak as piss. B-E and Maouche were slightly more visible than Missilou. Thought Sylla did his job pretty well but he’s never going to create much. 

Felt sorry for Wilson and Azankpo. No service and had to run their bollocks off as FGR’s game plan was to pass it around at the back before launching a 20% ball out to the wings. Rapturous applause from the locals when 1 in 5 of the attempts stayed in play. 

Sterile ground in the middle of nowhere. No atmosphere and an atrocious homer ref.  Don’t mention the 4 hangovers either. I daren’t check the hotel bar bill until we check out tomorrow. 

After they’d scored it started to rain.  Then Vera came on.  To cap it all, when it seemed like it couldn’t get any worse. Joseph Mills was announced as man of the match. The tart. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Defence including goal keeper did well. I was on Sefil watch and thought he was ok. Mills was mom for me and with Hamer, gives us a strong left flank. Other side not so good but Iacovetti was alright when defending. 

Midfield was weak as piss. B-E and Maouche were slightly more visible than Missilou. Thought Sylla did his job pretty well but he’s never going to create much. 

Felt sorry for Wilson and Azankpo. No service and had to run their bollocks off as FGR’s game plan was to pass it around at the back before launching a 20% ball out to the wings. Rapturous applause from the locals when 1 in 5 of the attempts stayed in play. 

Sterile ground in the middle of nowhere. No atmosphere and an atrocious homer ref.  Don’t mention the 4 hangovers either. I daren’t check the hotel bar bill until we check out tomorrow. 

After they’d scored it started to rain.  Then Vera came on.  To cap it all, when it seemed like it couldn’t get any worse. Joseph Mills was announced as man of the match. The tart. 

Holy shit and I thought my day had been bad :drinking45:

Maouche seems to have gone backwards since demanding the armband, I was embarrassed for Wheater having to follow him out today, strange decision not to make him skipper.

Saying that - that could be the least of our problems, defence did okay although had little to do, Woods played well, strikers were both playing in another county and to be honest had zero assistance from a midfield which was as flat as a pancake, very,very defensive with an obvious plan to go for a nil nil draw, we even continued to play in the same way once we'd conceded which was strange, team lacks any cohesion and the lack of communication between each other is frightening, almost playing like schoolboys. Leaving Nepo out was mystifying to be honest.

Having seen us three times now we haven't looked like scoring and it's difficult to see where goals are going to come from, unfortunately I think we are carrying too many players at the moment and something needs to change.

Painful to see the likes of Iverson, Hunt, Lyden, Baxter, Clarke all helping their new teams to first day victories, Wellens and Pete Wild also had pretty good days. 

Only way is up, hopefully.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

That's a joke right?

I'm really hoping that's not true, or else the farce that is the club will have reached a new level.

Well it sounded like we were worse after that half time team talk...

Christ on a bicycle, that was awful. Mills was head and shoulders above the rest and I dread to think what that defence would do without Wheater. We were stood near the end we were defending second half and Woods was constantly shouting to Sefil about his positioning, telling him where to be. Woods looked solid, though.

There was one occasion where Woods yelled for the ball (we could clearly hear him) but Sefil ignored him and booted it out. Luckily, it deflected off an FGR player for our throw in.

Iacovitti often forgets he has a winger to mark and gets tucked inside too many times. And don't get me started on Maouche. What a bloody lightweight and being captain is laughable. Was it in his contract? There's no other reason I can think of to give him the armband.

Wilson worked hard, but got no service; I don't remember Azankpo touching the ball and Vera will never be a footballer all the time he's got a hole in his jacksie.

Branger starts before Nepomuceno? Smacks of Mo picking the team; bloody ridiculous.

It's a team bereft of ideas and cohesion; they're like a bunch of strangers (I suppose they are) who look totally disinterested. I've never seen a "warm up" like it before kick off. I used up more energy walking from the car to the ground.

Things might improve once Egert and Smith-Brown are available and we get a decent midfielder and striker in. It's going to be a long, hard season otherwise. Relegation performance, that.

• Like 4

Ok - I`ll keep it short and sweet. Couldn't bring myself to bet against Latics even though I thought it was a nailed on FGR win at 11/10.

That has to be the biggest pile of shite I`ve seen in a long time. I`m just back - why did I bother? We are in serious danger of dropping out of the professional ranks .

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Christ on a bicycle, that was awful. Mills was head and shoulders above the rest and I dread to think what that defence would do without Wheater. We were stood near the end we were defending second half and Woods was constantly shouting to Sefil about his positioning, telling him where to be. Woods looked solid, though.

There was one occasion where Woods yelled for the ball (we could clearly hear him) but Sefil ignored him and booted it out. Luckily, it deflected off an FGR player for our throw in.

Iacovitti often forgets he has a winger to mark and gets tucked inside too many times. And don't get me started on Maouche. What a bloody lightweight and being captain is laughable. Was it in his contract? There's no other reason I can think of to give him the armband.

Wilson worked hard, but got no service; I don't remember Azankpo touching the ball and Vera will never be a footballer all the time he's got a hole in his jacksie.

Branger starts before Nepomuceno? Smacks of Mo picking the team; bloody ridiculous.

It's a team bereft of ideas and cohesion; they're like a bunch of strangers (I suppose they are) who look totally disinterested. I've never seen a "warm up" like it before kick off. I used up more energy walking from the car to the ground.

Things might improve once Egert and Smith-Brown are available and we get a decent midfielder and striker in. It's going to be a long, hard season otherwise. Relegation performance, that.

Absolutely spot on.

very early days but all this talk about relegation is not scare mongering, with this team it really could happen.

I went today, with my usual 2 companions, we differ in age so have seen different eras but sometimes our player experiences overlap. Carlo Corazzin came up in conversation today, I think he was overrated others thought his work for the team transcended that and made him a valuable asset. In short, we're not an echo chamber for each others views.

When we started seeing comments about this being a relegation team, during (on twitter at half time), and after todays game based on todays performance we were all a bit gobsmacked to be honest.

We were at the end we defended first half, Wheater walked the game, should be captain, Sefil had a couple of heart in mouth moments but that apart the defence played solidly first half and Woods never had a save to make. Could have had a penalty at the other end for a possible foul on Wilson, other people might have been better placed than me to give an opinion on it. We weren't under the cosh.

Second half we actually had the better of the first 15 minutes for me but then things went South, we seemed to drop deeper and invite problems and shipped one.

Mills had a fair penalty shout turned down.

We lack badly up front and unless we recruit will struggle big time to score (so in one sense I get the relegation comments, if you're not scoring you're fucked) but that defence won't ship goals this season for me and given Wheater turned up a couple of days ago his experience should help bring Sefil on hopefully.

It was the first game of the season, away against a team who were in the play offs last season, not a disaster and you don't get relegated after your first game.

Possibly a slight overreaction going on?

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, inspectormorose said:

I went today, with my usual 2 companions, we differ in age so have seen different eras but sometimes our player experiences overlap. Carlo Corazzin came up in conversation today, I think he was overrated others thought his work for the team transcended that and made him a valuable asset. In short, we're not an echo chamber for each others views.

When we started seeing comments about this being a relegation team, during (on twitter at half time), and after todays game based on todays performance we were all a bit gobsmacked to be honest.

We were at the end we defended first half, Wheater walked the game, should be captain, Sefil had a couple of heart in mouth moments but that apart the defence played solidly first half and Woods never had a save to make. Could have had a penalty at the other end for a possible foul on Wilson, other people might have been better placed than me to give an opinion on it. We weren't under the cosh.

Second half we actually had the better of the first 15 minutes for me but then things went South, we seemed to drop deeper and invite problems and shipped one.

Mills had a fair penalty shout turned down.

We lack badly up front and unless we recruit will struggle big time to score (so in one sense I get the relegation comments, if you're not scoring you're fucked) but that defence won't ship goals this season for me and given Wheater turned up a couple of days ago his experience should help bring Sefil on hopefully.

It was the first game of the season, away against a team who were in the play offs last season, not a disaster and you don't get relegated after your first game.

Possibly a slight overreaction going on?

They have lost their main striker and 2 of their main midfielders, plus Winchester who to them is a must in midfield was suspended!! A slight overreaction!! Nah pal they will be no way near the playoffs and the can be said about us 🤦🏻‍♂️

10 minutes ago, oafc21 said:

They have lost their main striker and 2 of their main midfielders, plus Winchester who to them is a must in midfield was suspended!! A slight overreaction!! Nah pal they will be no way near the playoffs and the can be said about us 🤦🏻‍♂️

Fair enough and point taken but calling us a relegation team based on today is a bit of a nonsense.

6 hours ago, daniel said:

Just don’t see what some of our fans see in him. Gives the ball away a zillion times a game, he’s lightweight and games usually just bypass him. He does show glimpses of a player, but it’s his 3rd season now and I still don’t know what he brings to this team on a consistent basis. Don’t get how he’s captain either, very strange decision that.

Oh don't say that

Kowethicki and McFluff won't have it that captain £4k a week is infact a bag of shit who only turns up when he feels like it. We were lucky to keep a player of such magnitude in summer. Its as if he only gets the armband because he's

the Lemsagams head boy.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, oafc21 said:

Fair shout, but with these tactics today we won’t be far off.

It was the first game, away, set up not very adventurously, not a surprise, didn't work, let's see what pitches up formation wise at home next week.

I'm not a happy clapper by the way or a fan of AL but I just think reaction to today has been a bit knee jerk that's all considering it's the first game of a 46 game season.

Edited by inspectormorose
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Oh don't say that

Kowethicki and McFluff won't have it that captain £4k a week is infact a bag of shit who only turns up when he feels like it. We were lucky to keep a player of such magnitude in summer. Its as if he only gets the armband because he's

the Lemsagams head boy.

He's not consistent, not too many League 2 players are. He can be very effective.

Should never be captain.

Happy with that assessment Glossop?

4 hours ago, inspectormorose said:

It was the first game, away, set up not very adventurously, not a surprise, didn't work, let's see what pitches up formation wise at home next week.

I'm not a happy clapper by the way or a fan of AL but I just think reaction to today has been a bit knee jerk that's all considering it's the first game of a 46 game season.

FGR were just very cautious in the first half, remember they also lost one of their key players in the first 5 minutes after Mills’ challenge. Second half they upped the tempo and we were immediately on the back foot.

We are so weak in midfield and upfront it is unbelievable, can it be fixed? Perhaps but it looks more like we are building a large squad of very average players....it’s almost as if we have some deal with a football agency to try and develop a large pool of players in the hope one or two come good and can be sold on for profit?.

The defence was saved by Wheater who obviously has experience and ability well above league 2 level but he can’t do it all on his own and the 2 full backs are sketchy at best; Lacovitti is all over the place sometimes and Hamer looks terrified. Sefil is another Fane...he can do one thing well, challenging in the air, but ask him to control a football and pass it to someone in blue and and it all falls apart....in fairness it seems like we have a couple more decent players to fix the defence so that won’t be our problem.

Sadly performances like yesterday could be the norm this season; lots  of narrow defeats with very few shots or corners....how is it possible in a game of football to not have a single shot on target or a single corner?

Relegation; yes, for the first time I really can see it happening

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

What rumour?

That ML gave the half time team talk and Banide was no part of it, just a rumour though it's not been confirmed. 

As for over reaction there hasn't really been one in my opinion, no booing or getting on managers or players backs but an acceptance that we've dropped a division under Abdallah yet seemingly the plan isn't to go back up but just to survive.

You can dress it up whichever way you want but that team is poor, full of weird signings with players who will struggle even at our lowly level, Mills starting wide right with Nepo on the bench, FGR seemed happy with a 0 - 0 at half time but there manager obviously told them to push on because we were there for the taking and eventually they did just that despite fielding a weakened team, one defeat doesn't make the season but a no scoring defeat at home to Crewe next week could really set us on a slippery slope.

7 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Oh don't say that

the Lemsagams head boy.

Ha. Awww. Putting words in others mouths in fine OWTB fashion. 

You see... in actually fact I’m not as one eyed as some here who have fixed opinions on their ‘heroes’.   I just say what I see. 

From what I saw of Maouche against Halifax, if he continues like that then not only would I take the captaincy away from him, I would also drop him sharpish.  We need to get another option in quick though.  Wheater should be captain, I’ve already said that.  

At at least try to be balanced. 

(Dan Gardner is still crap and I’m delighted he’s gone and Byrne is still a petulant kid 😁)

Edited by kowenicki