Liverpool game now 7pm kick off Wednesday

So...if we accept that we were up against an under 21 side that looked well coached and had one or two technically strong players whose game plan was ball retention and look to break fast....

i think  that tonight was an opportunity for Banide to see the rest of the squad (bar Hamer, Sylla  and Iacovitti) start a game  - then what did we learn?

Zabret - good shot stopper and was vocal when needed. One punch early on when he could easily have caught. Had no chance with the first goal which was a screamer and maybe his defenders should have cleared from his initial save for the second.

Hamer - definitely the MotM. Never stopped. Still needs to improve his positional play though.

Stott and Iacovitti - a fair game at the back  for both I thought. And they both scored...

Smith-Brown - tidy performance but would have liked to see him get forward more.

Eagles - obvious quality. Also obvious that he is some way off being match fit.

Sylla - another good game and ran Hamer close for MotM. He need to stop putting his hands on players when closing down though as this leads to too many free kicks.

Fage - I like the look of this lad. Quick and energetic. Faded somewhat second half.

Azankpo - took his goal well. Should have scored with a header first half but led the line well.

Nepomuceno- reasonable game. A couple of good crosses, one good shot  and of course the corner that led to the goal for Stott. Not yet back to his best.

Vera - one flick on and a couple of deft touches. Too slow when through on goal. Overall an ineffective game.

Gonzales - played the second half. Looked slow and disinterested.

Adams and Dolan - chased down well but ultimately too little time to judge.

Useful workout - bring on Crewe Alexandra. 😀

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Question. 

IF Lang joins tomorrow, and possibly one more. Do you people think this squad has a bit about it? Or are we still thinking bottom half? 

If Lang comes in and another decent player then I would say definitely on the face of it we have decent squad that should be a match for most in this league.

Obviously that's barring any potential player management fallouts etc.

• Like 1

Against my better instincts my son softly softly persuaded me to support this game.  It was the beer I cry.

We started looking like we wanted a draw.  Defending against an under 21 team?  Well yes they started full of energy and scored a great goal.  BUT as time went on less confident until it was two teams playing each other and what a strike by Desire.  Then Gregor, sorry showing, saves a shot but pushes the ball to their players - behind again.  Icovitti who had been on the end of two previous crosses scores with a shot.  2 2 and we are looking the better team.

Now Urko Vera had a decent first half.  Detractors say a donkey but this donkey as compared to COG is able to do something when he wins the ball.  He was never my favourite but first half miles better than COG.

In the second first half, score board started again at zero (could be another daft rule change by FIFA), we were toe to toe with the individually good but not so good team and Stott won the game for us.

One could say it was a masterclass by our head coach.  Didn't play what should be our strongest team but after an entertaining first half and a competitive second first half a well earned win.  Well done a good performance.

Some on here, myself included, might (please) begin to look a little stupid.

Edited by Hands on

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

So...if we accept that we were up against an under 21 side that looked well coached and had one or two technically strong players whose game plan was ball retention and look to break fast....

i think  that tonight was an opportunity for Banide to see the rest of the squad (bar Hamer, Sylla  and Iacovitti) start a game  - then what did we learn?

Zabret - good shot stopper and was vocal when needed. One punch early on when he could easily have caught. Had no chance with the first goal which was a screamer and maybe his defenders should have cleared from his initial save for the second.

Hamer - definitely the MotM. Never stopped. Still needs to improve his positional play though. Played OK but think we're getting carried away a bit with him (no end product when he gets forward and gives his winger too much room). 

Stott and Iacovitti - a fair game at the back  for both I thought. And they both scored...

Smith-Brown - tidy performance but would have liked to see him get forward more.  Was a bit disappointed with him, but perhaps I was expecting too much.

Eagles - obvious quality. Also obvious that he is some way off being match fit.

Sylla - another good game and ran Hamer close for MotM. He need to stop putting his hands on players when closing down though as this leads to too many free kicks. My MoTM, drove forward a few times but was by-passed in midfield, especially in the first half.

Fage - I like the look of this lad. Quick and energetic. Faded somewhat second half.Can't agree he faded, was closing their defence down late into the second half. Tons of energy, not frightened to put his foot in, looks a good prospect. 

Azankpo - took his goal well. Should have scored with a header first half but led the line well.

Nepomuceno- reasonable game. A couple of good crosses, one good shot  and of course the corner that led to the goal for Stott. Not yet back to his best.

Vera - one flick on and a couple of deft touches. Too slow when through on goal. Overall an ineffective game.

Gonzales - played the second half. Looked slow and disinterested.

Adams and Dolan - chased down well but ultimately too little time to judge.

Useful workout - bring on Crewe Alexandra. 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Question. 

IF Lang joins tomorrow, and possibly one more. Do you people think this squad has a bit about it? Or are we still thinking bottom half? 

If Lang joins tomorrow and one other joins who will be of similar quality i.e. one of the first names on the team sheet. Then I think we will avoid relegation barring any injuries but that would take the squad upto 28 players the vast majority of whom will be stealing a wage, and it will still be the worst Oldham Athletic side in my lifetime.

Edited by GlossopLatic

6 hours ago, Hands on said:

Against my better instincts my son softly softly persuaded me to support this game.  It was the beer I cry.

We started looking like we wanted a draw.  Defending against an under 21 team?  Well yes they started full of energy and scored a great goal.  BUT as time went on less confident until it was two teams playing each other and what a strike by Desire.  Then Gregor, sorry showing, saves a shot but pushes the ball to their players - behind again.  Icovitti who had been on the end of two previous crosses scores with a shot.  2 2 and we are looking the better team.

Now Urko Vera had a decent first half.  Detractors say a donkey but this donkey as compared to COG is able to do something when he wins the ball.  He was never my favourite but first half miles better than COG.

In the second first half, score board started again at zero (could be another daft rule change by FIFA), we were toe to toe with the individually good but not so good team and Stott won the game for us.

One could say it was a masterclass by our head coach.  Didn't play what should be our strongest team but after an entertaining first half and a competitive second first half a well earned win.  Well done a good performance.

It must have been quality beer given you’ve got the 3rd and 4th goals of the game in the wrong order. 

9 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

You beat me to it. I was about to say, Vera makes me look mobile and I'm 61!

I will say one thing for Urko though. He has surely the biggest pair of shorts seen on a Latics player since the 1914/15 Div 1 runners-up team.

I really hope Simply is right and he does come good, seems a nice lad.

Noticed this on Saturday. To hide his massive...

6 hours ago, Hands on said:

No.

Chris O'Grady scored six goals last season.  Vera won't even control the ball six times this season..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Considering most of their players had numbers between 40 and 80 on their shirts you'd think they'd have a few available.

They just got beat off our reserves. Not sure why we would be arsed about their availability.

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

No.

Chris O'Grady scored six goals last season.  Vera won't even control the ball six times this season..

There is a glimmer of hope that he won’t be our worst ever striker, definitely fitter than last season and controlled the ball 3 or 4 times last night alone!

7 hours ago, Hands on said:

It's not an achievement to be better than COG was last year you know?

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Question. 

Answer.

we finished 12th last year with Lang AND Surridge (some of the time!) so yes, the rest of the squad is much worse this season so I think after 46 games we will be where a poor team should be

We have too many lightweight French lower league players who are all total gambles for AL’ football agency sideline 

2 proper forwards and 2 midfielders could fix it but I think we have already finished the jigsaw

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Answer.

we finished 12th last year with Lang AND Surridge (some of the time!) so yes, the rest of the squad is much worse this season so I think after 46 games we will be where a poor team should be

14th wasn't it? 

Fage definitely the bright spark and can see him being on the bench regularly this season, similar to Missilou i thought.

Smith-Brown will be a player once he gets fit and will provide much more of an attacking option than Iacovitti will. Kept demanding the ball and getting exasperated when we hoofed it. Him and Mills will be great attacking full backs on either side. Even though Stott and Iacovitti both scored i'd personally put Wheater and Hamer as our first choice centre halves - Lemsagem is building Hamer to be our next sellable asset.

Eagles has slightly more legs than Vera but will need an overlapping full back behind him in order to make space for him he won't have the legs to take anyone on down the outside.

We now appear to have lots of options, just not great ones. Has to be Desire and Wilson if we ever play 2 up top, Vera's legs have gone and he can't get about the pitch. Doesn't win anything in the air either.

Would love to get Lang in but isn't going to happen, also surely we're nearing our limit with that wages to revenue ratio that clubs have to meet?

Edited by b0ndl1ne

FFS some on here love to moan even when we win......

Lets give the team we put out some credit....8 changes from Saturday...a few of competitive debuts... we won the game...scored 3 goals...and banked another £10k, against a very technically gifted young Liverpool side.

It should also give the team some confidence for Crewe on Saturday. 

We know the club is in the shit, but lets have a moan about the things that matter...not when we beat Liverpool 3-2!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Fage definitely the bright spark and can see him being on the bench regularly this season, similar to Missilou i thought.

Smith-Brown will be a player once he gets fit and will provide much more of an attacking option than Iacovitti will. Kept demanding the ball and getting exasperated when we hoofed it. Him and Mills will be great attacking full backs on either side. Even though Stott and Iacovitti both scored i'd personally put Wheater and Hamer as our first choice centre halves - Lemsagem is building Hamer to be our next sellable asset.

Eagles has slightly more legs than Vera but will need an overlapping full back behind him in order to make space for him he won't have the legs to take anyone on down the outside.

We now appear to have lots of options, just not great ones. Has to be Desire and Wilson if we ever play 2 up top, Vera's legs have gone and he can't get about the pitch. Doesn't win anything in the air either.

Would love to get Lang in but isn't going to happen, also surely we're nearing our limit with that wages to revenue ratio that clubs have to meet?

Good post. 

Lang was at the game last night, I think there’s a good chance he’ll sign. 

Once the squad settles and people get fit, a starting 11 of-

Woods

mills

wheater

hamer

smith-brown

sylla

missilou

eagles

branger

nepo

wilson/lang

I genuinely don’t think that’s to bad, granted it’s not top 3 material. But it’s s damn sight better than it looked two weeks ago. 

3 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

FFS some on here love to moan even when we win......

Lets give the team we put out some credit....8 changes from Saturday...a few of competitive debuts... we won the game...scored 3 goals...and banked another £10k, against a very technically gifted young Liverpool side.

It should also give the team some confidence for Crewe on Saturday. 

We know the club is in the shit, but lets have a moan about the things that matter...not when we beat Liverpool 3-2!

Quite a few on here have given the team some credit for last night’s performance. Others have not. It’s all about opinions at the end of the day.

For me, we are still a work in progress. But we have seen some progress - and that’s encouraging. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheBigDog said:

Quite a few on here have given the team some credit for last night’s performance. Others have not. It’s all about opinions at the end of the day.

For me, we are still a work in progress. But we have seen some progress - and that’s encouraging. 

Yep BigDog agree...and not a dig at everyone😀

• Like 1