Liverpool game now 7pm kick off Wednesday

46 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Fage definitely the bright spark and can see him being on the bench regularly this season, similar to Missilou i thought.

Smith-Brown will be a player once he gets fit and will provide much more of an attacking option than Iacovitti will. Kept demanding the ball and getting exasperated when we hoofed it. Him and Mills will be great attacking full backs on either side. Even though Stott and Iacovitti both scored i'd personally put Wheater and Hamer as our first choice centre halves - Lemsagem is building Hamer to be our next sellable asset.

Eagles has slightly more legs than Vera but will need an overlapping full back behind him in order to make space for him he won't have the legs to take anyone on down the outside.

We now appear to have lots of options, just not great ones. Has to be Desire and Wilson if we ever play 2 up top, Vera's legs have gone and he can't get about the pitch. Doesn't win anything in the air either.

Would love to get Lang in but isn't going to happen, also surely we're nearing our limit with that wages to revenue ratio that clubs have to meet?

I think CB is the only option for Hamer really if we're going to play him regularly this season.  I'm not convinced he's dynamic enough to be a full back at a higher level.  And I think him and Mills is too negative.

Mills one side, Smith-Brown the other should make us more attacking.  No idea what our best midfield is except Nepo has to start.

Vera looked to have a decent touch when the ball is played right too him, but if he has to move any distance in any direction then it's a problem, including jumping.  He's about the most unathletic player I've seen play for us, and I was there when a 40+ year old Andy Ritchie brought himself on (same comp maybe?) when we had an injury crisis.  He desperately needs replacing.  Wilson and Azankpo together maybe?

11 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

So...if we accept that we were up against an under 21 side that looked well coached and had one or two technically strong players whose game plan was ball retention and look to break fast....

i think  that tonight was an opportunity for Banide to see the rest of the squad (bar Hamer, Sylla  and Iacovitti) start a game  - then what did we learn?

Zabret - good shot stopper and was vocal when needed. One punch early on when he could easily have caught. Had no chance with the first goal which was a screamer and maybe his defenders should have cleared from his initial save for the second.

Hamer - definitely the MotM. Never stopped. Still needs to improve his positional play though.

Stott and Iacovitti - a fair game at the back  for both I thought. And they both scored...

Smith-Brown - tidy performance but would have liked to see him get forward more.

Eagles - obvious quality. Also obvious that he is some way off being match fit.

Sylla - another good game and ran Hamer close for MotM. He need to stop putting his hands on players when closing down though as this leads to too many free kicks.

Fage - I like the look of this lad. Quick and energetic. Faded somewhat second half.

Azankpo - took his goal well. Should have scored with a header first half but led the line well.

Nepomuceno- reasonable game. A couple of good crosses, one good shot  and of course the corner that led to the goal for Stott. Not yet back to his best.

Vera - one flick on and a couple of deft touches. Too slow when through on goal. Overall an ineffective game.

Gonzales - played the second half. Looked slow and disinterested.

Adams and Dolan - chased down well but ultimately too little time to judge.

Useful workout - bring on Crewe Alexandra. 😀

Plays up front, our team score 3, yet he's ineffective.

Doesn't start up front on Saturday and team score 0.

The witch hunt for the lad is mad.

5 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

If Lang joins tomorrow and one other joins who will be of similar quality i.e. one of the first names on the team sheet. Then I think we will avoid relegation barring any injuries but that would take the squad upto 28 players the vast majority of whom will be stealing a wage, and it will still be the worst Oldham Athletic side in my lifetime.

Pass me the fucking blade 🙄🙄🙄

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Good post. 

Lang was at the game last night, I think there’s a good chance he’ll sign. 

Once the squad settles and people get fit, a starting 11 of-

Woods

mills

wheater

hamer

smith-brown

sylla

missilou

eagles

branger

nepo

wilson/lang

I genuinely don’t think that’s to bad, granted it’s not top 3 material. But it’s s damn sight better than it looked two weeks ago. 

agree as at one point it was looking very very bleak. still, where the goals are coming from looks to be the biggest challenge although azankpo finished very well with his goal last night and there's no way either vera or wilson have the confidence or ability to be doing that. hopefully lang comes in then we could be ok. funny but id rather we had a worse defence and mid and two guys up top who u fancied to get a min of 15 each as think we'd be in better position but time will tell

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Careca9 said:

agree as at one point it was looking very very bleak. still, where the goals are coming from looks to be the biggest challenge although azankpo finished very well with his goal last night and there's no way either vera or wilson have the confidence or ability to be doing that. hopefully lang comes in then we could be ok. funny but id rather we had a worse defence and mid and two guys up top who u fancied to get a min of 15 each as think we'd be in better position but time will tell

Spot on.

Two good strikers forgives a lot of shite behind it. It doesn’t work the other way round. 

• Like 1

I might be in the minority here given some of the comments I have read but last night I was actually quite encouraged.

I went to the game feeling as low as ever going to a Latics game. Saw the team and filled me with next to no hope whatsoever. Got into the RRE on minutes, kiosks shut, American style van with a massive queue charging £3 for a coffee and up to £5 for food, I thought, what has happened at this club?

Get in for kick off and true to form, 1-0 down in a matter of minutes. To be fair, great hit. We then started to grow into the game. Two missed chances, Azankpo open net and Iacovitti, good save from their keeper both from set pieces. That was the point where I first saw a positive within our team this season. Azankpo looked bright, quick albeit a bit soft and broke through. Took his goal well to be fair, lovely finish and another positive, when he broke through, I thought he would score! Iacovitti got on the end of another set piece delivery from Eagles and 2-1 up at half time.

Second half, they put us under pressure to be fair but we defended it to a degree. Their goal, for me was poor goalkeeping from Zabret but to pick ourselves up and go on to win the game was a positive. From what I could see, being in the RRE and the boards flashing combined with the bloody dark netting, it looked like a good header from Stott off yet another set-piece.

Now, I’ve seen people’s comments about “being ripped apart by kids” – They are bound to be better technically than ourselves, hence why they play for Liverpool. They all looked comfortable on the ball and made us move around the pitch. Why people are surprised that kids can be and are technically better and quicker than us baffles me.

Other comments of “Set-Pieces only look good against under-developed players” – I’m sorry, but you can only play against what is put in front of you. It wasn’t so much that we won most of the balls in the box from the set-pieces, more the delivery from Eagles and Nepo alike. On the money basically every free kick/corner and it was good to see.

Finally some comments “Why are we celebrating beating a team of youngesters in a crap trophy” – Well, like this competition or not, the monetary value (where it goes is irrelevant) is worth it alone. Whether it be 10k or 20k per win. It’s worth winning. I also believe in trying to win every tournament you take part in and to be fair this is our best chance of getting a day out at Wembley so fill your boots. The youngsters as you say contained the youngest ever Premier League player (Harvey Elliot), a centre back they have bought for £4.7m and other players who have been in and around the first team and well known to teams in League One and Two about potentially taking them on loan. The day before, both Swindon and Rotherham were beaten by Chelsea and Man United youngsters respectively so to take positives out of the game is good.

All in all, I came away more positive than previous games (not hard I know) but certainly encouraged in parts of our play. Some positive performances from Fage, Sylla, Hamer. A solid debut from Smith-Brown at left back and the two centre backs did okay too. Nepo brings creativity, Eagles was clearly unfit but dead ball deliveries were very good. Vera is just Vera, won’t be troubling the scorers much I wouldn’t have thought. Azankpo very lively, bright and quick, slightly lightweight but will learn the English game I’m sure. Not overly keen on Zabret but backup keeper all the same.

Taking nothing for granted at all but a good win, a confidence boost for the squad and management team. Hopefully a signing or two on loan to boost the squad with quality and we should be okay.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, unsworthlatic said:

I might be in the minority here given some of the comments I have read but last night I was actually quite encouraged.

I went to the game feeling as low as ever going to a Latics game. Saw the team and filled me with next to no hope whatsoever. Got into the RRE on minutes, kiosks shut, American style van with a massive queue charging £3 for a coffee and up to £5 for food, I thought, what has happened at this club?

Get in for kick off and true to form, 1-0 down in a matter of minutes. To be fair, great hit. We then started to grow into the game. Two missed chances, Azankpo open net and Iacovitti, good save from their keeper both from set pieces. That was the point where I first saw a positive within our team this season. Azankpo looked bright, quick albeit a bit soft and broke through. Took his goal well to be fair, lovely finish and another positive, when he broke through, I thought he would score! Iacovitti got on the end of another set piece delivery from Eagles and 2-1 up at half time.

Second half, they put us under pressure to be fair but we defended it to a degree. Their goal, for me was poor goalkeeping from Zabret but to pick ourselves up and go on to win the game was a positive. From what I could see, being in the RRE and the boards flashing combined with the bloody dark netting, it looked like a good header from Stott off yet another set-piece.

Now, I’ve seen people’s comments about “being ripped apart by kids” – They are bound to be better technically than ourselves, hence why they play for Liverpool. They all looked comfortable on the ball and made us move around the pitch. Why people are surprised that kids can be and are technically better and quicker than us baffles me.

Other comments of “Set-Pieces only look good against under-developed players” – I’m sorry, but you can only play against what is put in front of you. It wasn’t so much that we won most of the balls in the box from the set-pieces, more the delivery from Eagles and Nepo alike. On the money basically every free kick/corner and it was good to see.

Finally some comments “Why are we celebrating beating a team of youngesters in a crap trophy” – Well, like this competition or not, the monetary value (where it goes is irrelevant) is worth it alone. Whether it be 10k or 20k per win. It’s worth winning. I also believe in trying to win every tournament you take part in and to be fair this is our best chance of getting a day out at Wembley so fill your boots. The youngsters as you say contained the youngest ever Premier League player (Harvey Elliot), a centre back they have bought for £4.7m and other players who have been in and around the first team and well known to teams in League One and Two about potentially taking them on loan. The day before, both Swindon and Rotherham were beaten by Chelsea and Man United youngsters respectively so to take positives out of the game is good.

All in all, I came away more positive than previous games (not hard I know) but certainly encouraged in parts of our play. Some positive performances from Fage, Sylla, Hamer. A solid debut from Smith-Brown at left back and the two centre backs did okay too. Nepo brings creativity, Eagles was clearly unfit but dead ball deliveries were very good. Vera is just Vera, won’t be troubling the scorers much I wouldn’t have thought. Azankpo very lively, bright and quick, slightly lightweight but will learn the English game I’m sure. Not overly keen on Zabret but backup keeper all the same.

Taking nothing for granted at all but a good win, a confidence boost for the squad and management team. Hopefully a signing or two on loan to boost the squad with quality and we should be okay.

Thought it was just me - sat in the main stand and struggling to see ball at times and for third goal with the black nets and white flashing boards which were miles too bright- Presume the centre half marking stott saw nothing either .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Ahhh, that old chestnut 🙄🙄🙄

Serious question you are aware that by being skeptical of the current owner I or anyonelse for that matter am not validating the actions of, or calling for a return of the previous owner?

Edited by GlossopLatic

18 minutes ago, mossleyblue said:

Thought it was just me - sat in the main stand and struggling to see ball at times and for third goal with the black nets and white flashing boards which were miles too bright- Presume the centre half marking stott saw nothing either .

No, not just you. Absolute nightmare the black nets. The white flashing "Wakelet" boards were a nightmare when the ball was down at the Chaddy End given where I was sat. 

Hope we refer back to white netting and they can somehow tone down the brightness of the perimeter boards, otherwise Winter games and night games at Boundary Park will be a nightmare.

17 minutes ago, StoodinaBoshell said:

Did Desire go off injured last night or just tactical?

Injured. Took a few knocks and went down on 3/4 occasions. Went off at Half Time and Banide said it was an ankle injury. Hopefully a precaution because i'd like to see him in the side alongside Wilson.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Serious question you are aware that by being skeptical of the current owner I or anyonelse for that matter am not validating the actions of, or calling for a return of the previous owner?

Never said it was. That's a different discussion.

There's being skeptical. Then there's going to stupid lengths (IMO) just to be negative. Stating if we got Lang and 1 other of similar quality would be just enough to avoid relegation is just utterly morbid. I'd expect that off some. Mostly those on a wind-up mission.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

There's being skeptical. Then there's going to stupid lengths (IMO) just to be negative. Stating if we got Lang and 1 other of similar quality would be just enough to avoid relegation is just utterly morbid. I'd expect that off some. Mostly those on a wind-up mission.

No thats where I believe we are and the evidence so far suggest that will be nothing more than a relegation scrap happy to be proven wrong.

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

One man's Morbid is another man's realism. 

4 hours ago, unsworthlatic said:

No, not just you. Absolute nightmare the black nets. The white flashing "Wakelet" boards were a nightmare when the ball was down at the Chaddy End given where I was sat. 

Hope we refer back to white netting and they can somehow tone down the brightness of the perimeter boards, otherwise Winter games and night games at Boundary Park will be a nightmare.

Oh dear. If you guys are having problems seeing the ball I have no chance. I lost it a few times last season.

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We're tinpot, nobody can work the perimeter boards what a shambles

We're tinpot, we can work the perimeter boards but they're too bright

Wakelet, the shirt sponsor are helping out with he perimeter LED boards.

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Spot on.

Two good strikers forgives a lot of shite behind it. It doesn’t work the other way round. 

This has been our problem for so, so long.

And a striker who scores 10 by Christmas can go for way more in January than a George Edmundson can in the summer following a solid whole season 

21 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

This has been our problem for so, so long.

And a striker who scores 10 by Christmas can go for way more in January than a George Edmundson can in the summer following a solid whole season 

Yep. 

To be fair. Corney did pull a few out of the bag- Porter, Beckett, Hughes, Kuqi

Seems ages since we had one, never kind two quality strikers.