Crewe game

I feel sorry for Wilson and Azankpo. They have legs in them and urgency and effort. They could do a job. If only they had players behind them. I don't think Branger-Engone did anything wrong, Nepo was a bit greedy when he came on but did ok. Missiliou was good all game. Maouche doesn't belong deep so didn't have any impact from there. Mills is a top signing. He needs to drop back to RB and Hamer in the middle with Wheater. Struggling at LB coz the new guy was poor. The whole back four where poor to be fair. Stott needs an experienced head next to him. Sefil could be used as someone to win everything.... But only if he has someone telling him where to be! Back four where never in a straight line. Woods well speaks for itself saved us from 7-8. I'm quite a positive person and believe we have to go with wa we've got regarding owners, but my biggest problem is, wether its Mo picking the team or some guy at his computer in Japan, there's no excuse for a manager/coach to sit in the dry dugout and not move and inch all game! He made no attempt to gee the lads up, no attempt to change anything, no screaming and shouting. Nothing. And I can't be arsed talkin about Vera. Only plus point is he gives u a laugh 

Edited by Chris15Arm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

I feel sorry for Wilson and Azankpo. They have legs in them and urgency and effort. They could do a job. If only they had players behind them. I don't think Branger-Engone did anything wrong, Nepo was a bit greedy when he came on but did ok. Missiliou was good all game. Maouche doesn't belong deep so didn't have any impact from there. Mills is a top signing. He needs to drop back to RB and Hamer in the middle with Wheater. Struggling at LB coz the new guy was poor. The whole back four where poor to be fair. Stott needs an experienced head next to him. Sefil could be used as someone to win everything.... But only if he has someone telling him where to be! Back four where never in a straight line. Woods well speaks for itself saved us from 7-8. I'm quite a positive person and believe we have to go with wa we've got regarding owners, but my biggest problem is, wether its Mo picking the team or some guy at his computer in Japan, there's no excuse for a manager/coach to sit in the dry dugout and not move and inch all game! He made no attempt to gee the lads up, no attempt to change anything, no screaming and shouting. Nothing. And I can't be arsed talkin about Vera. Only plus point is he gives u a laugh 

Given everything else going on with the club, putting up an analysis of individual and team performance does seem somewhat superfluous. However... my thoughts the morning after:

Woods - decent game, kept the score down and deservedly MotM

Hamer - hardest working player on the pitch. Made one or two last ditch tackles that kept the score down too. Needs to keep working on his positional play but a definite prospect.

Stott - had an okay game but both he and Sefil were beaten in the air far too often. 

Sefil - doesn’t punch his weight. He should be dominating forwards given his size.

Smith-Brown - disappointing display given his encouraging one on Wednesday. 

Branger - cannot see what he brings to the team at the moment 

Missilou - ran Hamer close for the effort he put in yesterday. A walking yellow card though...

Maouche - His style of play means that he often looks like he strolls through the game. He did get his foot in and made one great saving run and block when Crewe were through on goal. His ball to Azankpo at the end was an all too rare glimpse of what he can do. Not really the captain the team needs.

Mills - I like this guy and can only assume that he picked up an injury at half time.

Wilson - runs around a lot but to little effect. Needs the service from midfield and the wings to show whether he ill cut it for us

Vera - had a really good first ten minutes and then reverted to his pub player persona

Nepomuceno - didn’t build on the promising display on Wednesday- looks way off his best. 

Azankpo - willing runner who plays with a swagger. Will score (and miss) plenty with the right service. Thought he had snatched a draw for us at the end but missed from a tight angle.

Eagles - didn’t get into the game.

Overall it was a very poor display yesterday. Too many way below the standard needed. No urgency on the pitch with poor passing in all areas of the pitch. Crewe cut through our midfield and defence with embarrassing ease.

i look forward to hearing Banide’s views on  that one!

11 hours ago, drphibes said:

Yes the club did advertise the news that they would be charging disabled supporters this year to park. If you intend to go to all the games this season (I am not sure why any sane person would) you might be better off getting a season pass. I bought one for £100 . Drop Billy a call at the club and he will sort you out.

Thank you. She is wise enough to go to occasional games. I'm the one who will suffer every game. I think it may be her first and last of the season!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Very oddly we were joint third favs for relegation at 4/1 last night. This morning we are joint seventh favs at 13/2. Did three clubs go into administration overnight?? 

Maybe Burys potential demise would mean only one club dropping out of the football league. We would only need one club to be shitter than us. 

21 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It baffles me why AL can't see the shambles created by himself, he needsto swallow his pride and admit his foreign policy strategy has been a complete disaster. I know he won't though and that's the big concern. 

Today was like a watching  paint that will never dry.

You are right, but even if he can see the shambles he can't do anything about it now (not that I think he would anyway). We are stuck with this lot for the season, because of the transfer rules. 

Maouche should be playing further forward, and we only need one defensive midfield player. If we don't bring in a creative midfield player and a proper CF with plenty of experience at this level or above we've had it. 

Sefil was an absolute joke yesterday. Umpteen times they had a player unmarked in the middle of our goal. All Sefil could do was point at the unmarked player when he wasn't marking anyone. Stott was already marking one of their other forwards.

We may just survive relegation because of Wheater. If we lose him for any length of time we've had it. I thought like others that there were at least two teams in this league worse than us, but after our pre season and what I saw yesterday, I seriously doubt it now.

Banide again blaming a lack of quality in the team. He can say that can’t he because he’s not responsible for recruiting this pile of shite.

I really don’t see a hope in hell that this arrangement is going to work in our favour!

🤡🤡ABDALLAH OUT!🤡🤡

10 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

I feel sorry for Wilson and Azankpo. They have legs in them and urgency and effort.  

But they look shit so far.

Benteke had legs, urgency and effort.

We've always had a pretty large section of our support that has valued legs, urgency and effort over quality. 

Running around a lot is not much good to a team unless such a workhorse is surrounded by other quality, and lots of it.

Even with how cheap most of this large squad of absolute punts must be we could surely have signed 8 "proper" players and padded them out with kids and punts for the same money...

So, so stupid..

Yet again.

Edited by HarryBosch
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Nohairdontcare said:

And I thought Crewe away under Dunn was a low. 

I remember feeling sickened at what I’d witnessed on the pitch, but glad to be on a very rare (for me) away Latics jaunt, to at least get my share of the pain. 

But f€&@“:g hell, it’s toxic now. Problems back then seemed almost solvable by a stroke like getting Shez back or.... getting Shez back. 

Where we are now... it’s way worse than we should be. It’s gone from a decline to being pummelled into the ground. 

At  this lowest of the low, sadly for me, results don’t matter, manager doesn’t matter, league status doesn’t matter. I’ll love the club and the people  - but not the owner or anyone who is linked to him. 

I saw on twitter someone mentioned AL had a fake watch. I know that in the early days he was stupid enough to flash it at agents when offering “name your price” wage negotiations. I noticed in his first press conference he kept it hidden. What a snake of a man. More buffoon than clown. And a nasty buffoon too, the worst type. 

Without wanting to be patronising, I love Latics and the people I meet every time I’m there. I’m proud of my roots and A ‘Marco’ L can ruin everything, except I think we’ll bounce back.... without the €&@t. 

Rant over. See you all at the Chesterfield match. And those who choose to stay away, cheers to you all too. 

I'm shez's second biggest fan, but I dont even think he could save us now.

5 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

But they look shit so far.

Benteke had legs, urgency and effort.

We've always had a pretty large section of our support that has valued legs, urgency and effort over quality. 

Running around a lot is not much good to a team unless such a workhorse is surrounded by other quality, and lots of it.

Even with how cheap most of this large squad of absolute punts must be we could surely have signed 8 "proper" players and padded them out with kids and punts for the same money...

So, so stupid..

Yet again.

By that Ur saying if Messi came here and made an effort he'd still be shit coz he hasn't got a team around him? Talkin bollocks. Benteke couldn't control a ball. Wilson and Azankpo especially have a good touch. I agree without players behind them they will struggle but what striker wouldn't struggle with one maybe two half chances all game? A lot has gone on at the club that none of us are happy about, but when we sign players like missiliou, Nepo, even Clarke when he first signed, ppl like u love to say FFS he's shit. Mills, Wilson, wheater, azankpo, woods all look like they r good signings. So there's five of Ur '8'. Fage also looks a player. And we will presumably get a couple of loans in again to make it up. The rest are squad fillers so in essence u have exactly what u wish for? Unless like Surridge and Lang last season, the loanees are chastised coz they r unknown. N how did they turn out?

Edited by Chris15Arm

19 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

By that Ur saying if Messi came here and made an effort he'd still be shit coz he hasn't got a team around him? Talkin bollocks. Benteke couldn't control a ball. Wilson and Azankpo especially have a good touch. I agree without players behind them they will struggle but what striker wouldn't struggle with one maybe two half chances all game? A lot has gone on at the club that none of us are happy about, but when we sign players like missiliou, Nepo, even Clarke when he first signed, ppl like u love to say FFS he's shit. Mills, Wilson, wheater, azankpo, woods all look like they r good signings. So there's five of Ur '8'. Fage also looks a player. And we will presumably get a couple of loans in again to make it up. The rest are squad fillers so in essence u have exactly what u wish for? Unless like Surridge and Lang last season, the loanees are chastised coz they r unknown. N how did they turn out?

Of the five you've listed as Ur '8' I'd say one or two are decent players Wheater and Mills, Nepo arguably our best retained player cant claim a starting spot in a team at the arse end of the FL and of the rest only Missilou looks promising to me which by my reckoning means we need another 7 quality signing to be competitive, we have 20 meh players on the books some of which are on pretty good money, surely bringing in four or five quality signings back up by Stott, Hamer, Robinson and Co would/should of been the way forward rather than a load of worse than average players?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Of the five you've listed as Ur '8' I'd say one or two are decent players Wheater and Mills, Nepo arguably our best retained player cant claim a starting spot in a team at the arse end of the FL and of the rest only Missilou looks promising to me which by my reckoning means we need another 7 quality signing to be competitive, we have 20 meh players on the books some of which are on pretty good money, surely bringing in four or five quality signings back up by Stott, Hamer, Robinson and Co would/should of been the way forward rather than a load of worse than average players?

I'd much sooner us have signed 5 capable players rather than Wheater for presumably similar money.

7 hours ago, leeslover said:

I'd much sooner us have signed 5 capable players rather than Wheater for presumably similar money.

5 is probably an exaggeration but this illustrates the frustrating thing for me. The budget seems to be OK and it would be likely that someone like Pete Wild, Shez or dare i say Wellens/Scholes could have put a decent side together with it. It appears to me that AL is shooting himself in the foot with the foreign recruitment policy, unless his aim is purely to siphon money out of the club into his agency contacts pockets. 

23 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I dare say I've missed  it but what happened to Wheater?

Also, a notable absence from the line-up was the recent addition of David Wheater. An update was given by Banide on the defender.

"David for the moment is injured, so we don't take a risk. He's very important in the team for the character, for the spirit but we cannot take risks with a player like that. 

21 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

Maybe Burys potential demise would mean only one club dropping out of the football league. We would only need one club to be shitter than us. 

I'm hoping that Bolton and Bury fold, and then we won't need anybody to be shitter than us.

It might be our most realistic option.

16 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Banide again blaming a lack of quality in the team. He can say that can’t he because he’s not responsible for recruiting this pile of shite.

I really don’t see a hope in hell that this arrangement is going to work in our favour!

🤡🤡ABDALLAH OUT!🤡🤡

Surprised this is the only comment on banide's post match comments. For me that was the most worrying part, he's clearly an experienced coach who will have assessed where we are and already realises we are well short for the division. i think we know that but I'm actually glad he's come out and said it as its an honest assessment of what he's seen and i'd have preferred that to him saying its early stages ect. i just think when the coach mentions after two games that to 'exist' or stay in this league we must improve he realises already we are going to be down there and lack any real quality. I just hope thats his way of trying to get AL to sign some better players

i actaully thought he'd have had some impact on the signings but now i dont think he has, he's just here to coach them and he clearly has no say in who comes and go's in the squad. the fact he doesnt scream and shout doesnt bother me thats just his style and i think we need to get off his case for that, not sure anyone would do any better with what we have and i do think the team will be being well coached. If we go down or struggle he already has his excuse as he hasnt signed anyone, he can just sit there and be honest and say what i was left with wasnt up to the task and i think he'll do that every game. the owners will back themselves and say it was the coach not up to it and try and free themsleves from any blame and thats how it will play out. 

to top it off this weekend seeing macc win, cheltenham win and morecambe get a credible point at mansfield makes me think we currently have the worst team in the leage. its going to be a hard watch this year

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Surprised this is the only comment on banide's post match comments. For me that was the most worrying part, he's clearly an experienced coach who will have assessed where we are and already realises we are well short for the division. i think we know that but I'm actually glad he's come out and said it as its an honest assessment of what he's seen and i'd have preferred that to him saying its early stages ect. i just think when the coach mentions after two games that to 'exist' or stay in this league we must improve he realises already we are going to be down there and lack any real quality. I just hope thats his way of trying to get AL to sign some better players.

Tend to agree that Banide has quickly recognised that we are short in quality players. But I also think that he he wants more application from the players he currently has at his disposal.

“But we need to have more personality, more character, more spirit.”

"When you lose a duel, when you lose a 1v1 it's difficult. It's important to have more capacity to win the 1v1 and for passing and dribbling and for creating something. And for the moment we don't have that."

Yes we may bring in one or two loanees but he will also need to demand more from the players he has in his squad.

I'm not so sure that Banide is saying they are not good enough.  It could just be a language thing in that I think he is saying they are not doing enough nor are they playing with the right intensity or spirit.  So I think he wants these players to do better and that is his responsibility.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Tend to agree that Banide has quickly recognised that we are short in quality players. But I also think that he he wants more application from the players he currently has at his disposal.

“But we need to have more personality, more character, more spirit.”

"When you lose a duel, when you lose a 1v1 it's difficult. It's important to have more capacity to win the 1v1 and for passing and dribbling and for creating something. And for the moment we don't have that."

Yes we may bring in one or two loanees but he will also need to demand more from the players he has in his squad.

The players look to have no organisation, they don't press, run off the ball or track back, just stand around.

Desire and movement costs nothing, you even see it in well drilled sides at non league level, this may be controversial, but to my eyes it's the coach who's not doing a good  job with the players at his disposal, no matter what their pedigree. 

AL can't be happy with what he's seeing even though hes brought a lot upon himself. Hopefully he's making this known to those concerned.

Edited by BP1960