What would end the negativity?

Guest BeckfordsForehead

For me (and i'm a regular supporter and a poster on here, despite this being my first post under this pseudonym), it is personally clear that engagement between the club and its supporters is very poor. Some time ago, when the club 'advertised' for applications for fan based board members, i applied through the two channels requested. I received no reply, not even a 'thank you for your interest but' type of response. My personal circumstances would allow me to devote considerable free time to the club and as a long term successful businessman, i could contribute/lead in many areas of the business management side of the club. The fact that my application was overlooked does not concern me. It is the remit of the owner and the board to decide who they want to 'have on board' and i am 100% fine with that. The lack of response, from a personal point of view, while it is disappointing, it doesn't put me off my club. I'll still be there tonight as a pay on the day supporter, i'll still buy a program and as ususal, probably not read it. I'll still buy a pie and a pint. What disappoints me the most is that i was a gift horse. I come with skills and experience for free and i have had to to turn to other charitable angles (less involved and interesting to me personally) to burn my energy. No club (let alone Oldham Athletic) can afford to turn down gift horses, but Oldham Athletic did. It bodes not well for the future and aligned to many other of the reported goings on, it tends to confirm the apathy towards long suffering supporters.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Missed Opportunity said:

For me (and i'm a regular supporter and a poster on here, despite this being my first post under this pseudonym), it is personally clear that engagement between the club and its supporters is very poor. Some time ago, when the club 'advertised' for applications for fan based board members, i applied through the two channels requested. I received no reply, not even a 'thank you for your interest but' type of response. My personal circumstances would allow me to devote considerable free time to the club and as a long term successful businessman, i could contribute/lead in many areas of the business management side of the club. The fact that my application was overlooked does not concern me. It is the remit of the owner and the board to decide who they want to 'have on board' and i am 100% fine with that. The lack of response, from a personal point of view, while it is disappointing, it doesn't put me off my club. I'll still be there tonight as a pay on the day supporter, i'll still buy a program and as ususal, probably not read it. I'll still buy a pie and a pint. What disappoints me the most is that i was a gift horse. I come with skills and experience for free and i have had to to turn to other charitable angles (less involved and interesting to me personally) to burn my energy. No club (let alone Oldham Athletic) can afford to turn down gift horses, but Oldham Athletic did. It bodes not well for the future and aligned to many other of the reported goings on, it tends to confirm the apathy towards long suffering supporters.

Why a pseudonym? 

1 minute ago, BeckfordsForehead said:

Very suspicious man aren't you Magic Mikey?

When warranted. You've posted a few times since Stevie asked you a question, but haven't responded to him. You're only serving to reinforce my suspicions.

Guest BeckfordsForehead
1 minute ago, Magic Mikey said:

When warranted. You've posted a few times since Stevie asked you a question, but haven't responded to him. You're only serving to reinforce my suspicions.

The past is the past

15 minutes ago, Missed Opportunity said:

You forgot to mention modesty in your list of desirable attributes 

Quite simple really. I don't care to have endless discussion about my motives from those who know me by either another name on here, or in person by those that know my regular pseudonym. Up until this point, i chose to keep the whole matter to myself and one other person. Indeed, there would be a period of time where it might still be possible there was a vetting process underway and the response might just be slow. As time has passed, it is way too late for the simple 'courtesy' response and as matters are so toxic now, i decided to share my experience. I prefer that who i am is kept between me and the other person in th know, that's all.

So you're asking a past poster who was banned...to show himself or herself who they were...in the likelihood it will probably lead to themselves being banned again. Yeah, that makes sense 🙄

It's also laughable to think that...while some posters are so energised to start up or divert numerous posts every day into owner bashing, that it isn't going to energise some people who are still supportive to want to sign up and offer an alternative/opposite view to the angry voices on here. There will be been new posters signing up with views on either side of the debate. Yet new posters with support still for the owners are immediately looked on with suspicion and derived. At times to school playground level. Lovely bunch on here, aren't we (myself included) 👍

1 minute ago, Missed Opportunity said:

Quite simple really. I don't care to have endless discussion about my motives from those who know me by either another name on here, or in person by those that know my regular pseudonym. Up until this point, i chose to keep the whole matter to myself and one other person. Indeed, there would be a period of time where it might still be possible there was a vetting process underway and the response might just be slow. As time has passed, it is way too late for the simple 'courtesy' response and as matters are so toxic now, i decided to share my experience. I prefer that who i am is kept between me and the other person in th know, that's all.

FLG seem a bit more open, could your skills assist them? 

This is sincere by the way, quite aside from the results, the club in simple areas such as communication, marketing has been run so poorly for years (before and after AL) and anyone with business experience could add value if prepared to take opinion on board. 

Fair number of fans who are intelligent, professional people who could/would help, but you can take a horse to water, can’t make it drink. 

Guest BeckfordsForehead
27 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

So you're asking a past poster who was banned...to show himself or herself who they were...in the likelihood it will probably lead to themselves being banned again. Yeah, that makes sense 🙄

It's also laughable to think that...while some posters are so energised to start up or divert numerous posts every day into owner bashing, that it isn't going to energise some people who are still supportive to want to sign up and offer an alternative/opposite view to the angry voices on here. There will be been new posters signing up with views on either side of the debate. Yet new posters with support still for the owners are immediately looked on with suspicion and derived. At times to school playground level. Lovely bunch on here, aren't we (myself included) 👍

Thanks Boundary Blue.

The reaction to a perfectly civil forum post - and a good question judging by the number of views it has generated - has made it clear that the rumours and stories about a split, toxic atmosphere within the fan base are correct.

The post was written without even an antagonising sylable and yet those with differing opinions have immediately jumped on it.

7 minutes ago, BeckfordsForehead said:

Thanks Boundary Blue.

The reaction to a perfectly civil forum post - and a good question judging by the number of views it has generated - has made it clear that the rumours and stories about a split, toxic atmosphere within the fan base are correct.

The post was written without even an antagonising sylable and yet those with differing opinions have immediately jumped on it.

Friend. 

36 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

It's also laughable to think that...while some posters are so energised to start up or divert numerous posts every day into owner bashing, that it isn't going to energise some people who are still supportive to want to sign up and offer an alternative/opposite view to the angry voices on here. There will be been new posters signing up with views on either side of the debate. Yet new posters with support still for the owners are immediately looked on with suspicion and derived. At times to school playground level. Lovely bunch on here, aren't we (myself included) 

The funniest thing is that if you think slagging off new players is going to make them play worse, and if you don't think the team will be improved by a British passports only policy, you are obviously "supporters of the regime"

And if you let any money go to the club whatsoever, you're a "scab"

As it happens, I've read the forums for years now, and just happen to have started to post at the wrong time it seems. And I'm hardly happy at what's going on at the club - now, or in the last ten years. 

Guest BeckfordsForehead
10 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Friend. 

You definitely use the word banter in day to day conversations. 

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

They're a bit more open....if you can find the organ grinders 👍

I accept what you are getting at with regard to other potential members. 

But there are two of them at least who are accessible. One of them at least I am sure you could walk in to the OEC tonight and talk to directly. 

Guest BeckfordsForehead
15 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:
15 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I'm not one of the owner's stooges hiding behind a screen name, Mike. I first went to Oldham in 1987, Bradford City beat us 2-0 at Boudary Park. It was a terrible game, so bad in fact that I didn't miss another home game for about 20 years!

I lost interest when I paid more to see Oldham play (I think, somebody will no doubt check) Grimsby than I had done when I had to take 2 clients to see United play Leverkusen in a Champions League semi final a week or so earlier. It sounds mental but its true. I couldnt fathom that and I just stopped going to football all together.

Oldham will always be my team though. 

I've just been drawn back in by the latest situation.

It's the lowest Oldham have ever been during my tine as a fan (I can't say supporter these days) and it looks like they could slip away amid all the chaos.

Sad times.

1 hour ago, BeckfordsForehead said:

The past is the past

So why did you draw attention to that past by claiming you were unfairly banned? 

Perfectly reasonable question from Stevie J re the circumstances of your alleged ban, and you haven't yet given him the courtesy of a direct answer?

Believe me, there've been some pretty strong comments on here over the years (I've been guilty myself at times) and you have to behave pretty badly to get banned. The mods do a good job and are about as broad-minded as it's possible to be in this litigious age. I therefore find your lack of courtesy to them poor to say the least.

Guest BeckfordsForehead
Just now, Worcester Owl said:

So why did you draw attention to that past by claiming you were unfairly banned? 

Perfectly reasonable question from Stevie J re the circumstances of your alleged ban, and you haven't yet given him the courtesy of a direct answer?

Believe me, there've been some pretty strong comments on here over the years (I've been guilty myself at times) and you have to behave pretty badly to get banned. The mods do a good job and are about as broad-minded as it's possible to be in this litigious age. I therefore find your lack of courtesy to them poor to say the least.

🤷🏽‍♂️

I've come back to talk about Latics' dire situation and I think you can see that I'm doing it in a constructive manner by asking sensible questions.

3 minutes ago, BeckfordsForehead said:

🤷🏽‍♂️

I've come back to talk about Latics' dire situation and I think you can see that I'm doing it in a constructive manner by asking sensible questions.

Maybe so. That said, it didn't take you long to bring up your "unfair ban", which would not appear to be relevant to Latics' dire situation. A curious tack, that's all.

Guest BeckfordsForehead
Just now, Worcester Owl said:

Maybe so. That said, it didn't take you long to bring up your "unfair ban", which would not appear to be relevant to Latics' dire situation. A curious tack, that's all.

It was definitley an unfair ban, though. 

Archived