Bury: Minutes to Midnight

30 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Looks like Weatherfield FC have moved in to gigg lane already 😂. Steve MacDonald scattering ashes on their pitch on telly box last night. Bit insensitive tho lol

Can see who’s in charge of the remote in your house. Jesus, grow some balls and tell her to watch it upstairs FFS

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Belter. And not far from the truth. I don’t have a spare room but the couch keeps me closer to Babestation 😩

Babestation?? You not got internet? Far better on there... so that Gary told me...

48 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Belter. And not far from the truth. I don’t have a spare room but the couch keeps me closer to Babestation 😩

Yes, I used to be married.... 

I'm thinking Sally Metcalfe/Babe Station mash up. 

On 8/30/2019 at 10:39 AM, HarryBosch said:

Exactly - the top 20 clubs are opted out so they can retain the bulk of monies earned they earn.

This is a good read.... by Kieran McGuire, Price of Football.... it includes the passages below. Now, if you're cool with capitalism in sport, then this is far enough one assumes?

New rules introduced by the Premier League will result in solidarity payments falling as the owners of the elite clubs think they are subsidising smaller clubs too much. A club in the EFL receives two types of broadcast income, solidarity payments from the Premier League (about £900k for a L1 club) and a share of the EFL’s own TV deal with Sky (£500k for a L1 club).

Nervous owners of clubs in League One and Two will also be concerned at the noises coming from some Championship club owners too who want to renegotiate the EFL deal and it’s unlikely these owners will be wanting to give smaller clubs a bigger share of the pie. How the money is split at present is 80% to Championship, 12% to League One and 8% to League Two.

http://priceoffootball.com/scunthorpe-united-2018-the-light-pours-out-of-me/

25 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

This is a good read.... by Kieran McGuire, Price of Football.... it includes the passages below. Now, if you're cool with capitalism in sport, then this is far enough one assumes?

New rules introduced by the Premier League will result in solidarity payments falling as the owners of the elite clubs think they are subsidising smaller clubs too much. A club in the EFL receives two types of broadcast income, solidarity payments from the Premier League (about £900k for a L1 club) and a share of the EFL’s own TV deal with Sky (£500k for a L1 club).

Nervous owners of clubs in League One and Two will also be concerned at the noises coming from some Championship club owners too who want to renegotiate the EFL deal and it’s unlikely these owners will be wanting to give smaller clubs a bigger share of the pie. How the money is split at present is 80% to Championship, 12% to League One and 8% to League Two.

http://priceoffootball.com/scunthorpe-united-2018-the-light-pours-out-of-me/

Elitism is pretty much the whole point of professional sport.

55 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

....for the individual sportsperson, that's a maybe.... but for the competition, without regulation, that elitism leads to greed. That greed creates power and influence over regulation, which ultimately focuses on self interest & fails the community and wider society.

....but, like I said, if you're a dyed in the wool capitalist, you'll see the 2 professional elite leagues that we're headed toward as a form of natural selection. A country of 60m people will only be able to support 40 or so elite professional clubs.... the rest will be left unable ever to compete at the elite table ever again. That's progression for you.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

By definition then the Prem should get 99% of the money. 

Is that fair, or good for fnancial prudence? 

A consequence of the Prem is greater gambling of club owners to reach the promised land of the Prem. 

Without the League system, the competition could wither, or certainly decrease in popularity with meaningless game. As Rugby League found out. 

The Prem is stronger because of the pyramid system. 

Edit. I'm not advocating some Utopian even 25% split though. 

Running costs should be broadly the same (not exactly) no selling/splitting grounds, and better prize money per success so revenue from tickets /commercial activities funds players. 

So if the distribution money is broadly club operating costs are covered. The rest is self generated. 

Clubs can survive, but better clubs can prosper. 

Obviously that may adjust with detail. 

I think we are at cross purposes @singe, @lookersstandandy.  I'm not advocating unfettered capitalism - there's no such thing, anywhere. But I'm also not advocating big subsidies either as I just don't see why that should happen.  Clubs have to be well managed and live within ther resources and until they prove they can do that then throwing more cash at them just so they can buy another striker (we wish!). Regulation can only work up to a point; nobody wants a regulator telling anyone how to run their business.  There must always be the capacity for wll run clubs to prosper and that must necessarily be at the expense of poorly run clubs.

36 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think we are at cross purposes @singe, @lookersstandandy.  I'm not advocating unfettered capitalism - there's no such thing, anywhere. But I'm also not advocating big subsidies either as I just don't see why that should happen.  Clubs have to be well managed and live within ther resources and until they prove they can do that then throwing more cash at them just so they can buy another striker (we wish!). Regulation can only work up to a point; nobody wants a regulator telling anyone how to run their business.  There must always be the capacity for wll run clubs to prosper and that must necessarily be at the expense of poorly run clubs.

I agree, in the main. I’m lamenting a) the fact that the Premier League have been allowed to keep such an enormous amount of money ‘they’ generate, and b) Both the Premier League and Championship want to keep proportionately more of the money ‘they’ generate in future. As @singe says, in both instances ‘they’ are as attractive as ‘they’ are because we have the most competitive professional league system in the world, predicated on 4 divisions. This should not be lost on the FA and EFL and ‘they’ should protect the pyramid. By all means divvy it up 50/30/15/5 for example, but never change it, meaning the meritocracy/fairness/justness is retained. Sadly, ‘they’ get greedier and it becomes more like a cartel.

32 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I agree, in the main. I’m lamenting a) the fact that the Premier League have been allowed to keep such an enormous amount of money ‘they’ generate, and b) Both the Premier League and Championship want to keep proportionately more of the money ‘they’ generate in future. As @singe says, in both instances ‘they’ are as attractive as ‘they’ are because we have the most competitive professional league system in the world, predicated on 4 divisions. This should not be lost on the FA and EFL and ‘they’ should protect the pyramid. By all means divvy it up 50/30/15/5 for example, but never change it, meaning the meritocracy/fairness/justness is retained. Sadly, ‘they’ get greedier and it becomes more like a cartel.

Their competition now is La Liga, Serie A etc. They're not going to agree to anything that disadvantages them there. To be honest I'm surprised they are as philanthropic as they are including, in particular, still having three up three down. I'd have expected the exit to have been narrowed before now. 

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Their competition now is La Liga, Serie A etc. They're not going to agree to anything that disadvantages them there. To be honest I'm surprised they are as philanthropic as they are including, in particular, still having three up three down. I'd have expected the exit to have been narrowed before now. 

Well, 52% of the UK arguably rejected globalisation of one kind or another....

I don't think we are that far apart in views @Dave_Og  @lookersstandandy
It's a fair point you raise about potentially losing more share, but I think that is still being pushed for. Then there is the checkatrade and B Teams. I fear the PL is pushing the FL from all angles and eventually they will crumble. Of course, the PL is far more profitable than the other Leagues currently but now sky has changed hands, I think the last deal was their last big payday (although I  thought that last time!) They will have to go streaming in the future, and that does allow for individuall club revenue more easily.

5 minutes ago, singe said:

I don't think we are that far apart in views @Dave_Og  @lookersstandandy
It's a fair point you raise about potentially losing more share, but I think that is still being pushed for. Then there is the checkatrade and B Teams. I fear the PL is pushing the FL from all angles and eventually they will crumble. Of course, the PL is far more profitable than the other Leagues currently but now sky has changed hands, I think the last deal was their last big payday (although I  thought that last time!) They will have to go streaming in the future, and that does allow for individuall club revenue more easily.

It will be interesting to see the next tv deal goes I think we may see potentially the likes if Netflix and Amazon potentially getting in the game and even the likes of Facebook could quite easily stream games the technology exists.

Interms of distribution of the tv renenue well what keeps the PL competitive is that the whole league is generally competitive and the teams coming up are often competitive. So for that reason its in the PLs interest to have a competitive EFL backing it up as it puts pressure on the bottom PL clubs to strive forward. Plus its pretty clear that with 20 of the 23 man squad at the last world cup for England having either been on loan at or coming through academies in the EFL then we mustn't underestimate the value the EFL has to both the premier league to the Engliah national team.

4 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

....for the individual sportsperson, that's a maybe.... but for the competition, without regulation, that elitism leads to greed. That greed creates power and influence over regulation, which ultimately focuses on self interest & fails the community and wider society.

First you get the money. Then you get the power. Then you get the women.

Archived