Bury: Minutes to Midnight

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, League one forever said:

Well that must be a first. Can’t remember them doing that to anybody else. 

Think they must be terrified of another Bury - the irony that they let the previous dodgy takeover of Wigan which has led to this situation will be completely missed by them 

5 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Think they must be terrified of another Bury - the irony that they let the previous dodgy takeover of Wigan which has led to this situation will be completely missed by them 

I'm not entirely sure why people believe that the EFL/PL can possibly spot lunatic owners when they have not previously demonstrated lunatic tendencies. 

8 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I don't think they care about another Bury to be honest.

I think they care far more about not having another Bolton, where they obviously ignored all their previous rules to keep them in and avoid a far bigger financial black hole.  

They turned a blind eye to the financial doping at that basket case for ten years, and it only just didn't go off in their faces.

14 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I don't think they care about another Bury to be honest.

I think they care far more about not having another Bolton, where they obviously ignored all their previous rules to keep them in and avoid a far bigger financial black hole.  

They turned a blind eye to the financial doping at that basket case for ten years, and it only just didn't go off in their faces.

It probably still could. Hope it does tbh.

22 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm not entirely sure why people believe that the EFL/PL can possibly spot lunatic owners when they have not previously demonstrated lunatic tendencies. 

I think the problem is the EFL/PL track record. The fact that several owners have turned out to be far from fit and proper might suggest that the tests are, shall we say, a little loose and need tightening up. Adding to the mix, the finances of football clubs in general have become more stretched and the lack of a voice for fans has, in a number of cases, grown considerably.

Transparency is a big issue in all of this. One wonders how much evidence of financial strength - never mind character references - the Lemsagams were asked to provide to support the takeover and why such a cloak of secrecy has to attend these events.

31 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I think the problem is the EFL/PL track record. The fact that several owners have turned out to be far from fit and proper might suggest that the tests are, shall we say, a little loose and need tightening up. Adding to the mix, the finances of football clubs in general have become more stretched and the lack of a voice for fans has, in a number of cases, grown considerably.

Transparency is a big issue in all of this. One wonders how much evidence of financial strength - never mind character references - the Lemsagams were asked to provide to support the takeover and why such a cloak of secrecy has to attend these events.

Yes, but not many have actually had a history that would have disqualified them under any sort of objective test.  After all, the main test of lunacy in relation to wanting to own a football club is the fact that you want to....own a football club!

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Yes, but not many have actually had a history that would have disqualified them under any sort of objective test.  After all, the main test of lunacy in relation to wanting to own a football club is the fact that you want to....own a football club!

Reminded me of something that Groucho Marx said:

“I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member” 😉

• 5 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I was wondering which club he expects to step aside for them. 

They wouldn't need to. They're one short in the National League and the National League South as it is, so it's not impossible. Particularly if all football below that is deemed null and void this season. 

Would set an interesting precedent, though... 

8 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

They wouldn't need to. They're one short in the National League and the National League South as it is, so it's not impossible. Particularly if all football below that is deemed null and void this season. 

Would set an interesting precedent, though... 

There'd still be a club or clubs that they'd be jumping in front of in the pyramid. 

Unless the conversation is along the lines of: "Look here, EFL, you screwed us over, but you looked after Notlob a lot better, so how about try to level things off a bit?" 

Although I expect the EFL reply to be <ahem> in the negative.

12 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Unless the conversation is along the lines of: "Look here, EFL, you screwed us over, but you looked after Notlob a lot better, so how about try to level things off a bit?" 

Although I expect the EFL reply to be <ahem> in the negative.

EFL got no jurisdiction over Conference leagues

Archived