Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Been to ticket office today to buy 4 x Gateshead tickets and the queue was about 10 deep, either no one works on a Friday afternoon in Oldham or alternatively the truncated opening hours have resulted in jams at the ticket office, the likes of which we haven't seen for many years.

 

Speaking to others patiently waiting in the queue, what struck me was how there is still a groundswell of love and affection for the club - no matter how poorly run the club is at present (my opinion) and how poor the depth of the first team squad is. I announced "Its a bit like the good old days"  at seeing the queue which brought chatter & conversation about the good old days and how we all wished we were back there somehow as a club.

 

As with every occasion I go to the ticket office, I bumped into Dino (maybe he needed a ticket too?), he shook all the supporters by the hand and promised he will do his utmost to get the lads to win on Saturday. I like the fella as a fella, seems positive and smiles a lot which makes him a lot more personable than our Sporting Director who does neither.

 

I seriously believe that this club can be reinvigorated (to some degree at least), but only in spite of rather than because of the current owner & Board of Directors who seem incapable of grasping what is important to us as Latics supporters - it may not have been if they had sought to ask. The town is in decline allegedly - I don't live in Oldham so have to rely on others' opinions - the club has been in decline for years but that decline has accelerated under these owners, maybe both are terminal but from the goodwill & cheer today of many people who I don't know, even after watching for 50 years+,  I still feel that the club can be saved from oblivion. This will only happen however if there is an active willingness from both the owners and the supporters (both pro- and anti-establishment) to accept some commonality and act towards a common goal. 

Agree with all this. Great post. Although I do think (maybe I'm being overly optimistic) that AL and Mo have turned a slight corner in letting dino do what he wants to do despite half their signing not playing. And unfortunately I think most smaller towns are going to shit these days. Not enough people shopping and when they do they go to the city. So councils dont want to regenerate towns like oldham too much because they wont see any type of return on it ☹ but that's the world we live in

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps Dino could get the unfit bastards to run round the fucker. 

It shows how far we have fallen, even in the space of 12 months, that I am just not that bothered about the FA Cup or who we play!   Last years cup run was brilliant and put me through all t

Been to ticket office today to buy 4 x Gateshead tickets and the queue was about 10 deep, either no one works on a Friday afternoon in Oldham or alternatively the truncated opening hours have resulted

On 11/1/2019 at 9:21 PM, Chris15Arm said:

Agree with all this. Great post. Although I do think (maybe I'm being overly optimistic) that AL and Mo have turned a slight corner in letting dino do what he wants to do despite half their signing not playing. And unfortunately I think most smaller towns are going to shit these days. Not enough people shopping and when they do they go to the city. So councils dont want to regenerate towns like oldham too much because they wont see any type of return on it ☹ but that's the world we live in

 

Yet the town of Bury with probably the best shopping anywhere in the country lost their EFL club.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How long is it since you’ve been BP.

 

’Best shopping anywhere in the country’

 

You’re seriously having a laugh there😳😳

 

Bury has a decent market but other than that’s its an absolute shit hole!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

 

Yet the town of Bury with probably the best shopping anywhere in the country lost their EFL club.

 

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

How long is it since you’ve been BP.

 

’Best shopping anywhere in the country’

 

You’re seriously having a laugh there😳😳

 

Bury has a decent market but other than that’s its an absolute shit hole!!

Think the reality is somewhere in the middle. 

 

Bury is arguably a more prosperous town compared with Dale/Oldham, probably helped by Ramsbottom often featuring in those best small places to live lists. 

 

I can see Bury (the town) struggling slightly after the demise of Bury (the football club), though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rudemedic said:

 

 

I can see Bury (the town) struggling slightly after the demise of Bury (the football club), though. 

I can't see how, the businesses in the town seemed like they'd rather have plague victims through their door than football fans.

 

Anyone who can't see that Bury is much much nicer than Oldham (or Rochdale) however is deluded or blind.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BP1960 said:

 

Yet the town of Bury with probably the best shopping anywhere in the country lost their EFL club.

I live in bury.... it far from the best shopping haha. Money is tight these days and bury is getting quieter by the week. People now treat a shopping day as a treat and head to the city or t.centre. plus most of bury is city and United fans anyway and have had owners throwing money at the club with no way of recouping anything

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

I live in bury.... it far from the best shopping haha. Money is tight these days and bury is getting quieter by the week. People now treat a shopping day as a treat and head to the city or t.centre. plus most of bury is city and United fans anyway and have had owners throwing money at the club with no way of recouping anything

 

Was heaving when I went last Wednesday, hardly any shops boarded up like in other towns and loads of cafes yet most full.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 9:21 PM, Chris15Arm said:

And unfortunately I think most smaller towns are going to shit these days. Not enough people shopping and when they do they go to the city. So councils dont want to regenerate towns like oldham too much because they wont see any type of return on it ☹ but that's the world we live in

I wouldn't class Oldham as a small town; certainly not if we are talking about the Metropolitan Borough with a population approaching quarter of a million (about half that of the city of Manchester). There are some good examples of towns of our size doing well. However, our local council, generally, have a lamentable record. Not a surprise when you look at the calibre of local councillors (yes - a few exceptions, I know). In my view, though, the biggest bollock dropped was the pursuit of that holy grail called "Metrolink". It has simply sucked people out of Oldham into Manchester to seek their entertainment, shopping, culture etc.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

I wouldn't class Oldham as a small town; certainly not if we are talking about the Metropolitan Borough with a population approaching quarter of a million (about half that of the city of Manchester). There are some good examples of towns of our size doing well. However, our local council, generally, have a lamentable record. Not a surprise when you look at the calibre of local councillors (yes - a few exceptions, I know). In my view, though, the biggest bollock dropped was the pursuit of that holy grail called "Metrolink". It has simply sucked people out of Oldham into Manchester to seek their entertainment, shopping, culture etc.

 

That's what Metrolink is all about, easier travel into Manchester.

 

It doesn't even go into the bus station. Rochdale, Ashton and Bury it does

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Highlights from Gateshead's match on Saturday. 

The away end ....bring binoculars

https://www.gateshead-fc.com/news/highlights-gateshead-23-guiseley-021119-2483228.html

 

My eyesight is not what it used to be, i struggle in the RRE on saturdays.I believe we are expecting rain in sunday as well ! We better bloody win now... looking forward to the atmosphere amongst the latics fans..

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

 

Was heaving when I went last Wednesday, hardly any shops boarded up like in other towns and loads of cafes yet most full.

Bury mbc played a blinder whilst every other councill reigned in tgey went ahead with the Rock shopping and entertainment area was a big gamble but it payed off when the econamey started to improve they were ready with a shiney new shopping and leisure complex right next to the already popular market boom its thriving 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Fred Dibnah said:

570 Tickets sold up until today Tuesday 5th November !!!!

I guess the kick off time is going to have a say in terms of numbers travelling over..there is a train that get ms you into Newcastle for 12 but what happens if there are any delay ? still think there will be a 1000 at the game 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Fred Dibnah said:

570 Tickets sold up until today Tuesday 5th November !!!!

 

Not a bad effort so far considering a 270 mile round trip/the early Sunday KO time/transport difficulties/the shit view/freezing weather forecast and the general state of the club....

 

I expect around 750 or more will go which will be more then 25% of our current home fans attendance.....amazing.

 

Shows there is still a lot passion and loyalty within our dwindling fan base. 

 

I'd be very surprised if many L1 and 2 clubs will take 25% of their home numbers to cup games this weekend, even without the challenges we have....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

 

Not a bad effort so far considering a 270 mile round trip/the early Sunday KO time/transport difficulties/the shit view/freezing weather forecast and the general state of the club....

 

I expect around 750 or more will go which will be more then 25% of our current home fans attendance.....amazing.

 

Shows there is still a lot passion and loyalty within our dwindling fan base. 

 

I'd be very surprised if many L1 and 2 clubs will take 25% of their home numbers to cup games this weekend, even without the challenges we have....

 

 

The hardcore go home and away. If the home crowds are pretty much down to the hardcore then the away following will naturally be a larger percentage of them. Not a positive indicator at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

The hardcore go home and away. If the home crowds are pretty much down to the hardcore then the away following will naturally be a larger percentage of them. Not a positive indicator at all. 

Not sure that's true - going in a car with 4 others, all ex-ST holders, only me who attends (some) home games now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The hardcore go home and away. If the home crowds are pretty much down to the hardcore then the away following will naturally be a larger percentage of them. Not a positive indicator at all. 

Very true. Although if we don't improve, I can see a 2,500 Saturday Hardcore and sub 2,000 Tues night. 

Just whw you think we've reached the low, we get lower. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The hardcore go home and away. If the home crowds are pretty much down to the hardcore then the away following will naturally be a larger percentage of them. Not a positive indicator at all. 

 

Positive as usual Dave....

Think we all know the multiple reasons for our dwindling home support...

My point is seeing as in our last 2 away games we took 440 to Mansfield and 500 to Vale when both were 3pm Saturday KOs, much easier to get to, and only around 50 miles away, I think taking 750+ to Gateshead on a Sunday morning is pretty impressive whichever way you look at it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...