What was it like when we were good?

4 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

There were some stories about PW at the time too.  Not sure if it was all the same “incident” but football has always been a team game 👬🤷‍♀️👬

Well whoever it was should have kept it zipped up, it well and truly fucked us. 

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Inspiral_Carpet said:

How can you say that when we replaced Redders with the more expensive Neil McDonald? 😩😩😩

That has to be the worst half a million we ever spent.  Joe usually got more right than wrong in the transfer market but this one really didn't work out.  The thing I didn't get was McDonald had played against us for Everton in the FA Cup not long before and he was absolutely awful for them.  No idea why Joe went for him.

19 hours ago, Sparkleking said:

That has to be the worst half a million we ever spent.  Joe usually got more right than wrong in the transfer market but this one really didn't work out.  The thing I didn't get was McDonald had played against us for Everton in the FA Cup not long before and he was absolutely awful for them.  No idea why Joe went for him.

I couldn't believe our luck when we managed to recoup the fee when we sold him to Bolton. Why we kept him for three seasons I don't know.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:22 PM, Inspiral_Carpet said:

How can you say that when we replaced Redders with the more expensive Neil McDonald? 😩😩😩

Actually, it was Mike Milligan who replaces Redders. Neil Mc came the season after!!.

Watched a documentary on BT last night about the United team "too good to go down" in the early 70's, obviously hoping to see us mentioned after beating them 1-0 at BP ( no joy ! ) in the subsequent promotion season.

What did strike me was that Stepney couldn't catch a cold at that stage in his career and let in some embarassing efforts from outside the box barely moving his feet at times.

Still it was good to see what a dis-organised rabble they were around that time - there's hope for everyone ! 

On 4/5/2020 at 4:14 PM, Lukers1 said:

Actually, it was Mike Milligan who replaces Redders. Neil Mc came the season after!!.

Milligan came back in the summer of 1991, McDonald joined in the Autumn of the same year. At the time I was delighted Milligan came back.... with hindsight, we should probably have kept Redfearn in centre mid (Royle wanted him to play RW and ditch Adams) instead.....

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I found it very surprising that Joe played Earl Barrett at right back when he managed him later in his career. No way was that his best position. 

I think he’d a lost a bit of pace - after injury - by then.... and the back pass rule change wasn’t something that helped him at centre half, as he wasn’t as comfortable as others bringing the ball out from that position. That’s my opinion at least.

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Milligan came back in the summer of 1991, McDonald joined in the Autumn of the same year. At the time I was delighted Milligan came back.... with hindsight, we should probably have kept Redfearn in centre mid (Royle wanted him to play RW and ditch Adams) instead.....

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Same as Marshall. If you haven’t listened to the Under the Cosh interview with him, it’s worth it.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I found it very surprising that Joe played Earl Barrett at right back when he managed him later in his career. No way was that his best position. 

I think Joe lost the plot on all these decisions. Adams was a good RW and Redfearn certainly wasn't as good in that position. How could Marshall be played anywhere but up front, other than at CB in an emergency, after the goals he scored for us and went on to score for other clubs. Barratt wasn't the tallest CB, but he made up for it in pace. Never a RB.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

I think Joe lost the plot on all these decisions. Adams was a good RW and Redfearn certainly wasn't as good in that position. How could Marshall be played anywhere but up front, other than at CB in an emergency, after the goals he scored for us and went on to score for other clubs. Barratt wasn't the tallest CB, but he made up for it in pace. Never a RB.

He wanted two dogs of war in centre midfield and that was Milligan & Henry.... so he wanted Redfearn to move to the right (which incidentally is where he started for us - played well there in the ‘90 FA Cup run).... he bought Olney to partner Sharp, so that meant Marshall to partner Jobson. In his defence, had Redfearn & Marshall acquiesced, we’d have probably been a much better team, but they didn’t, and so once they made their feelings known, I guess he had to get rid to maintain control of the dressing room.... but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I liked Redmond, but he wasn’t as good as Barrett (who started as a LB for us, before moving to CB) or Marshall..... and as good as Adams & Milligan were, Redfearn was a better footballer. Rick Holden said in his autobiography that the players who left were replaced by inferior ones.... and this is what I read it to mean.

11 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

He wanted two dogs of war in centre midfield and that was Milligan & Henry.... so he wanted Redfearn to move to the right (which incidentally is where he started for us - played well there in the ‘90 FA Cup run).... he bought Olney to partner Sharp, so that meant Marshall to partner Jobson. In his defence, had Redfearn & Marshall acquiesced, we’d have probably been a much better team, but they didn’t, and so once they made their feelings known, I guess he had to get rid to maintain control of the dressing room.... but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I liked Redmond, but he wasn’t as good as Barrett (who started as a LB for us, before moving to CB) or Marshall..... and as good as Adams & Milligan were, Redfearn was a better footballer. Rick Holden said in his autobiography that the players who left were replaced by inferior ones.... and this is what I read it to mean.

I think Redfearn must have been hard to manage.  He played for a dozen league clubs but only stayed at one of them for more than two years

Just seen on FB page that its 30 years ago today of the epic FA Cup match at Maine rd against Manure......3-3 was the result....wow

Shame there is no-one at the club that could get this stuff uploaded on the site. Like on this day in history...a diary of event/did you know... that just keeps us in touch as such

16 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Guardian are doing a retro minute-by-minute of the 1990 FA Cup semis tomorrow afternoon - Liverpool v Palace first, then us v the red shite.

https://www.theguardian.com/football

Remember the day very well. Was sat then with my leg up as injured running by the river,  so unable to use my ticket for the Kippax. I'm actually sat in same position today, but Covid has stopped me going out and about. Same weather here in Manc too. Hope we don't end up drawing, as don't fancy us over 2 matches against Utd.

On 4/6/2020 at 5:10 PM, Bobledgersheart said:

Watched a documentary on BT last night about the United team "too good to go down" in the early 70's, obviously hoping to see us mentioned after beating them 1-0 at BP ( no joy ! ) in the subsequent promotion season.

What did strike me was that Stepney couldn't catch a cold at that stage in his career and let in some embarassing efforts from outside the box barely moving his feet at times.

Still it was good to see what a dis-organised rabble they were around that time - there's hope for everyone ! 

Have seen the programme before, sad to relate it spent far too long on the Reds recovery under Tommy Doc.....should have stayed on the demise for me lol  

5 hours ago, underdog said:

Just seen on FB page that its 30 years ago today of the epic FA Cup match at Maine rd against Manure......3-3 was the result....wow

Shame there is no-one at the club that could get this stuff uploaded on the site. Like on this day in history...a diary of event/did you know... that just keeps us in touch as such

They could do that working from home. I guess being furloughed means not working at all.

Archived