What was it like when we were good?

2 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Mouldy Old Dough was played at H/T on Saturday (didn't do us much good) is that the norm these days? It was only my second home game this season and I can't remember if it was played at H/T v Rochdale. Clearly it needs to be played before KO!

Too expensive if used as an ‘Entrance’ song apparently …

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Too expensive if used as an ‘Entrance’ song apparently …

Pretty sure thats not how it works. Royalties are paid on the number of times it is played and not what the event is or at what point in the day or event. Someone want to ask Lt Pigeon?

11 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Was said by club earlier that to use it as an "entrance tune" would entail additional royalty costs so it would be used otherwise.

I could be wrong, just tried a webchat with PRS, who can't discuss licences for others, understandably, but not even in general.

Each licence is decided on use. Although is a second half entrance tune different to a first half one? Forgive me, I'm arguing with myself now.

Funny day I suppose

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Mouldy Old Dough was played at H/T on Saturday (didn't do us much good) is that the norm these days? It was only my second home game this season and I can't remember if it was played at H/T v Rochdale. Clearly it needs to be played before KO!

It's been played before the start of the second half at every home game this season as far as i can remember.

2 hours ago, Mercater said:

I could be wrong, just tried a webchat with PRS, who can't discuss licences for others, understandably, but not even in general.

Each licence is decided on use. Although is a second half entrance tune different to a first half one? Forgive me, I'm arguing with myself now.

Funny day I suppose

😃

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, Bobledgersheart said:

Was said by club earlier that to use it as an "entrance tune" would entail additional royalty costs so it would be used otherwise.

just get a fan to request it every week and play that request as the players run out 

Best football ever.Royle built a team from nothing to compete and beat the best.

Thank god ive supported them since 1970 and saw the steady progress to the top but sadly  seen no  thanks to Mark bastard Hughes the death by a 1000 cuts ,and ive missed a letter out,of a fantastic  club .

My first true heroes from Boundary Park

Only lad in my class in Middleton who followed OAFC, a few in the school 

Latics very much the 3rd team in Middleton then after United and City

We were relatively small but humble, crowds of around 10,000 and 11,000 towards the end of 1970/71 

Missed promotion game at Workington (0-0) as only 8 but saw celebration after the final game of the season v Stockport County (1-1).

52 years ago, so happy I was around when Latics were a lovely funny club who brightened up people's lives instead of blighting them     

1970-71 team.jpg

On this day in 1990, I and many others saw Latics play Nottingham Forest at Wembley in the Final of the Littlewoods Cup (league cup). 

Amazing experience - when I started watching Latics in 1970, I never for one moment thought that I would see Latics ever play at Wembley in a major Cup Final. 

Over 30,000 fans came to support Latics, wonder what percentage of them still come (or would still come if we got new more suitable owners?)

Fabulous day, how Sutton saved that header from Roger Palmer late on I will never know 

Wembley.jpg

9 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

On this day in 1990, I and many others saw Latics play Nottingham Forest at Wembley in the Final of the Littlewoods Cup (league cup). 

Amazing experience - when I started watching Latics in 1970, I never for one moment thought that I would see Latics ever play at Wembley in a major Cup Final. 

Over 30,000 fans came to support Latics, wonder what percentage of them still come (or would still come if we got new more suitable owners?)

Fabulous day, how Sutton saved that header from Roger Palmer late on I will never know 

Wembley.jpg

Even when I watch it now, having seen it so many times, I still think that header’s going in. 

12 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

We were relatively small but humble, crowds of around 10,000 and 11,000 towards the end of 1970/71 

Missed promotion game at Workington (0-0) as only 8 but saw celebration after the final game of the season v Stockport County (1-1).

52 years ago, so happy I was around when Latics were a lovely funny club who brightened up people's lives instead of blighting them     

1970-71 team.jpg

My first game at Boundary Park was April 1965, I was seven. We beat QPR 5-3 and I was hooked. I don't remember any of my mates or anyone at all at my school in Middleton who supported Latics. I blagged a free place at Bury Grammar in 1969 and over there it was United or City or Bury naturally. My best mate was a Rochdale fan and we all thought he was crazy. 

It never really occurred to me as a kid, but given how close Middleton is to Boundary Park - I often used to walk to the ground - I'm surprised I didn't know any Latics fans but as you say Middleton was mainly United and City fans. The fools!

On 4/29/2022 at 11:19 PM, unsworth blue said:

1970-71 team.jpg

Same here.I see big Jim Bowie at my local each Friday .Those were the best days pre big Joe's magic years.

One can but live in hope but all our assets have been sold to the devil.

7 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Same here.I see big Jim Bowie at my local each Friday .Those were the best days pre big Joe's magic years.

One can but live in hope but all our assets have been sold to the devil.

The days of Bryceland and Bebbington and Fryatt and Shaw were magical days I agree - even more so perhaps as they were seen through the eyes of a kid.

Jim Bowie was brought in to take over the role of Bobby Johnstone* - an impossible task I know- but he became a firm favourite with the fans nevertheless.

I still remember the chant in the Chaddy End:

”Jim Bowie,Bowie, Bowie…Jim Bowie, Jim Bowie” - great lyrics…😳

(*)Johnstone joined Latics at the end of his career but was still an incredible player at our level

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2022 at 8:09 AM, TheBigDog said:

The days of Bryceland and Bebbington and Fryatt and Shaw were magical days I agree - even more so perhaps as they were seen through the eyes of a kid.

Jim Bowie was brought in to take over the role of Bobby Johnstone* - an impossible task I know- but he became a firm favourite with the fans nevertheless.

I still remember the chant in the Chaddy End:

”Jim Bowie,Bowie, Bowie…Jim Bowie, Jim Bowie” - great lyrics…😳

(*)Johnstone joined Latics at the end of his career but was still an incredible player at our level

And remember Andy Sweeney our very own George Best?  He had plenty of  pace and dribbling skills so what went wrong with his career is a mystery to me.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:18 PM, BP1960 said:

And remember Andy Sweeney our very own George Best?  He had plenty of  pace and dribbling skills so what went wrong with his career is a mystery to me.

I was only young BP but remember him clearly on the right wing. He certainly had the "hair do" but, if I remember correctly, I thought he lacked pace for a winger. Stamina was also in doubt from memory. Went to Mossley from Latics I think. Alan Groves & David Shaw from that era. Simply amazing to watch. Thereafter, Simon Stainrod - I`m talking before the "pinch me " years.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

I was only young BP but remember him clearly on the right wing. He certainly had the "hair do" but, if I remember correctly, I thought he lacked pace for a winger. Stamina was also in doubt from memory. Went to Mossley from Latics I think. Alan Groves & David Shaw from that era. Simply amazing to watch. Thereafter, Simon Stainrod - I`m talking before the "pinch me " years.

Stainrid was class from his very first game, why Sheffield United let a player of his quality go so cheaply is bewildering.

Groves and Shaw also fall into the same bewildering category.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:18 PM, BP1960 said:

He only played 44 times for us and my, admittedly failing, memory of him was that he was injury prone. 
When he passed away a couple of years ago it was mentioned that he was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma at the age of 33.

Maybe that in some way had impacted his career?

Still a great player to watch when he was marauding down the wing 👍

Archived