What was it like when we were good?

2 hours ago, wogghead1 said:

Remember every now and again a group of people would go around the ground with a big sheet and everyone threw coins into it (pre buckets) for local charities, hanging off the chaddy railings as a child, (mid 80s you may have turned around to see the away fans coming in trying their luck with 5 mins to go) away at Bradford when a near riot broke out when some other teams fans (can’t remember who) came in our end when their game got called off and started abusing roger and our fans didn’t take it lightly. Huddersfield away at their old ground when 2 of their fans jumped over the fence and battered the linesman because he disallowed a goal and we went up our end and scored. 
getting pushed through a turnstile so my dad didn’t have to pay for me at away games. Thinking it was normal to go to Darlington on a Tuesday night for a cup game 😂 the clubshop was a portakabin and latique was just a dream but it was still better than it is now!

as the title says “when we were good”

For the above, we weren’t necessarily good,

But IT was good.!

It was Carlisle United fans who turned up at Bradford City.

The big sheets were usually for St John's Ambulance brigade - remember fans throwing at the individuals rather than into the sheet.... think there were a few casualties but at least they could treat themselves.

Are you old enough to recall the fans running across the pitch at each other or into the Chaddy End to try and take it? 

The Hudders nightmatch incident - think it was a lone-wolf attack - we had just equalised to be 2-2 after being 2-0 down and all the players were celebrating then one looked over at the linesman lying on the floor with a  dog-botherer kicking him ad all went over to stop the assault.

Times definitely not always good but interesting nontheless 

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

The big sheets were usually for St John's Ambulance brigade - remember fans throwing at the individuals rather than into the sheet.... think there were a few casualties but at least they could treat themselves.

Are you old enough to recall the fans running across the pitch at each other or into the Chaddy End to try and take it? 

The Hudders nightmatch incident - think it was a lone-wolf attack - we had just equalised to be 2-2 after being 2-0 down and all the players were celebrating then one looked over at the linesman lying on the floor with a  dog-botherer kicking him ad all went over to stop the assault.

Seem to remember Bolton, Burnley and Blackburn all getting “ You’ll never take the Chaddy “  used to stand right in the middle wasn’t there a disused exit up there

1 hour ago, unsworth blue said:

The equaliser (I think from Tommy Wright) was a mile offside which caused the incident. It was pretty tasty in the car park outside after as well... I’m pretty sure the result relegated Hudders that night. It was the season they got beaten 10-1 at Maine Road.

7 hours ago, No Pyro No Party said:

So many posts that deserve a thanks in this thread. Some absolutely brilliant reads, definitely restores some form of faith in me towards Latics having heard about the good old days - even if those days are dead and buried in a grave marked "Property of Brassbank". 

I've just Googled "Brimelow's cough tablets and mintoes", which used to be sold from a vendor walking round the pitch, and it threw up this thread:

http://www.owtb.co.uk/topic/17252-memories-of-latics/

2 hours ago, Jerry the Berry said:

Anyone remember going on “ The League Liner “ to Bournemouth I think , train complete with disco carriage , hired out to different clubs

Remember going on the Latics Liner to Bristol Rovers

the players were on it too and some saucy shenanigans ensued, allegedly 

1 hour ago, Jerry the Berry said:

Anyone remember going on “ The League Liner “ to Bournemouth I think , train complete with disco carriage , hired out to different clubs

Yes, took a few quid off Paul Edwards  ( who scored the own goal that beat us, if my memory is correct ) at cards, who was mates with Denis Stott (RIP) who was a Platt's workmate at the time.

Also remember some fans taking the piss out of Ian Robins who was acting the pan a bit !

It also had a "disco" carriage, although it was empty most of the time.

19 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Yes, took a few quid off Paul Edwards  ( who scored the own goal that beat us, if my memory is correct ) at cards, who was mates with Denis Stott (RIP) who was a Platt's workmate at the time.

Also remember some fans taking the piss out of Ian Robins who was acting the pan a bit !

Yes the disco carriage wasn’t exactly “ Manumission “ but a novelty at the time , what year was that then , I am feeling old

11 hours ago, inspectormorose said:

The Bradford one was Carlisle fans, their game at Halifax had been called off.

10 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Used to happen a lot that, didn't it? Matches called off so a contingent of away fans dive on a train to one that is on. It was slightly before my time but I recall someone regaling me with a story of our match at Blackburn being snowed off so 60-70 or so headed down the line to Burnden Park looking for straighteners with the Bolton lads whose match at home to Gillingham was on.

7 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Used to happen a lot that, didn't it? Matches called off so a contingent of away fans dive on a train to one that is on. It was slightly before my time but I recall someone regaling me with a story of our match at Blackburn being snowed off so 60-70 or so headed down the line to Burnden Park looking for straighteners with the Bolton lads whose match at home to Gillingham was on.

Some also went to watch Man city v Westham on same day. I used to work with a Wanky Wanderer (was actually a belting lad) and he told me that about 150 latics turned up looking for some afters, they initially put them into the pen holding Gillingham fans but they were a bit unhappy with that so eventually opened up a section just for Latics.  It made the report in the football Pink as well, reporter not happy about a load of Latics herberts attending just for trouble.

Funnily enough, I can't recall doing it myself although I am a connoisseur of football rather than rowing, just don't think the games were appealing enough to part with my hard earned or to present an elongated stretch in the boozer.         

On 10/24/2019 at 8:46 PM, unsworth blue said:

It was a great time to be alive. I had been a regular home and away supporter since 1974 and had witnessed the great days of 1973/74 and our establishing ourselves in the Second Division over time, mixing it with much bigger clubs. We hadn't really had a cup run to speak of apart from 2 visits to round 5 of the FA Cup in late 70s. The good days for me really started when we overachieved and came 3rd in 1986/87 (the first season of the play offs and we came bastard 3rd lol). The crowds didn't really come then but the team was homegrown and doughty and our support base was growing again slowly. 1987/88 was a bit flat results wise (kept drawing 2-2) but the football was very watchable, 1988/89 started very disappointingly but in late November, big Joe signed Frank Bunn and the fun really started. in the last 20 games of that season, we scored 50 goals - beat bastard Rovers 4-2 at home on Good Friday (they were going up that season and we leathered them) and 1989/90 came with a fair sprinkling of optimism. What happened was beyond belief. A slow start and then the team really clicked, I think the players started believing in themselves, they really gelled and we beat Arsenal 3-1 in 4th round of the league cup in front of 14,500 in November. It was unbelievable, Latics thumped mighty Arsenal (top of the First Division at the time) and in front of the BBC cameras. The league form was great at home as well and the whole country started waking up to this wonderful little club who played great attacking football, home and away, never played with cynicism, just a refreshing venture into how football should be played. We went to the Dell in 5th round, Saints were a great home side at the time and attacked with great aplomb, 2000 supporters travelled on a Tuesday night only for the home club to take one of the away pens for their own fans leaving 600 locked out. Ritchie's last minute equaliser was more than deserved and we won the home game easily in front of 18,500. The crowds at home games were increasing too, 12000- 15000 were quite regular in second half of that season. If you went out in town, there were always lots of lads / lassies who wanted to talk about Latics, we used to park near Chaddy Town Hall and the Sun Mill Inn was packed with latics fans on match days. Beating West Ham 6-0 on Valentines Day was surreal - came out thinking "Bloody hell, we are going to Wembley for a Cup Final".  Wembley was fabulous, Latics had more than 30,000 there - perhaps 1/2 proper Latics and 1/2 ex-latics or hangers-on or just Oldhamers out for the day. We had more there than Forest!! The FA cup run was in full flow as well and we beat Everton in a 2nd replay (2 home games x 19000 crowds) and then beat Aston Villa 3-0 to reach the semis against United. We actually were playing much better football than United at the time but they managed to scrape through the semis after a replay. The league form held up but too many games in too short a time with a small squad meant we finished 8th. At the time, Latics were everybody's second favourite team - they really took the nation's heart and Joe Royle was interviewed for the England job.  Joe had stayed on to finish the job instead of going to City in December and the whole town loved it. We had 5000+ season ticket holders the following season and went 17 games unbeaten at the start of the season before losing at Port Vale 1-0. I think the regulars all knew we were going up - many of us selected Ipswich as the place our dream would be realised at the start of the season. The football never faded, we scored goals aplenty, won 15 at home in a season, scored a total of 88 goals and the Chaddy End was roaring. Great days - easily recalled, I went to 58/67 games in 1989/90 and missed about 4  in 1990/91. Wonderful wonderful days, players who loved the club, fans loved the players and manager......60000 turned out in Oldham to welcome the lads home from Wembley and the following year to celebrate promotion.  Never ever forget the feeling of pride at being a Latics fan...…...God they seem a long time ago now                                    

So many good memories, great to share these thanks

I first went to a game in December 1972 v Bournemouth.  Never forget walking up steps in the main stand upper, to see the bright green pitch and the brand new Ford Stand opposite. Smell of pipe tobacco and whisky of the crowd.

Next season  started going at top right of the Chaddy on the old wooden boards.  What a season . Alan Groves was my hero and later on moved to sitting on the perimeter boards at front of the Chaddy to get a chance of chucking the ball back to him.

Always remember giving the OPPO keeper a round of applause which was usually recognised. Even got a ' thanks cock' from Jim coombes when returning ball to him.

Away days at Blackburn and york , when woody was injured and Maurice scored a screamer.

Moved away then got the bug when I came back in 1989, had season tickets at back of lookers with the BB guys. 

Promotion, then pinch me season .

As a side note I was working in those days for major accountancy firm in Manchester, with a certain Mr Parry. Shared an office with a Wednesday fan and was amazed when I was stood by the fax machine when I saw his team's headed whitepaper,  saying they had resigned from the football league. By the time I got in to confirm what I had read, a pile of similar letters were there, Liverpool  , arsenal and then Latics.  I thought that after all the effort of our first season on first division what had we done?

Later that day it was announced the formation  of the Premier league.

Rick Parry I think went on to become it's chairman.

Then came pinch me season, and alongside all the thrills and spills of a title style game, my memories ate after the games we always went to the Houghton arms, and were always beaten to the bar by Jonny hallworth, mark Brennan and often neil Adams.

Years later when he was coach at Norwich, he still came in the pub yo meet up with the this players and got yo chat to him. He missed the atmosphere of the club.

After a number of years away again, got a season ticket last year .

So sad to see where we ate now but as my dad says, he saw us fight of re-election to the old 4th division so we have gone full circle. 

Hoping for new memories sometime soonish!

17 minutes ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

So many good memories, great to share these thanks

I first went to a game in December 1972 v Bournemouth.  Never forget walking up steps in the main stand upper, to see the bright green pitch and the brand new Ford Stand opposite. Smell of pipe tobacco and whisky of the crowd.

Next season  started going at top right of the Chaddy on the old wooden boards.  What a season . Alan Groves was my hero and later on moved to sitting on the perimeter boards at front of the Chaddy to get a chance of chucking the ball back to him.

Always remember giving the OPPO keeper a round of applause which was usually recognised. Even got a ' thanks cock' from Jim coombes when returning ball to him.

Away days at Blackburn and york , when woody was injured and Maurice scored a screamer.

Moved away then got the bug when I came back in 1989, had season tickets at back of lookers with the BB guys. 

Promotion, then pinch me season .

As a side note I was working in those days for major accountancy firm in Manchester, with a certain Mr Parry. Shared an office with a Wednesday fan and was amazed when I was stood by the fax machine when I saw his team's headed whitepaper,  saying they had resigned from the football league. By the time I got in to confirm what I had read, a pile of similar letters were there, Liverpool  , arsenal and then Latics.  I thought that after all the effort of our first season on first division what had we done?

Later that day it was announced the formation  of the Premier league.

Rick Parry I think went on to become it's chairman.

Then came pinch me season, and alongside all the thrills and spills of a title style game, my memories ate after the games we always went to the Houghton arms, and were always beaten to the bar by Jonny hallworth, mark Brennan and often neil Adams.

Years later when he was coach at Norwich, he still came in the pub yo meet up with the this players and got yo chat to him. He missed the atmosphere of the club.

After a number of years away again, got a season ticket last year .

So sad to see where we ate now but as my dad says, he saw us fight of re-election to the old 4th division so we have gone full circle. 

Hoping for new memories sometime soonish!

Sadly the club are currently at the lowest ebb during my lifetime of watching them. Some fabulous memories there (shared happily by those of us who were lucky enough to have been around), I think we must ensure that we as a fanbase do our utmost to remain vigilant on issues arising about the way the club is governed as I fear our younger generation may not have the same opportunity to make memories.   

1 hour ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Then came pinch me season, and alongside all the thrills and spills of a title style game, my memories ate after the games we always went to the Houghton arms, and were always beaten to the bar by Jonny hallworth...

Had a chat with him a couple of weeks ago in a pub in Mossley - great fella - and still a giant of a man.

2 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Did Hallworth ever tip his drink over the bar :)

Neil Adams and his wife came to the OASIS dinner in Blooomsbury to celebrate promotion.  Holly was about 8.99 months pregnant; they stayed till midnight and then got a cab to a club!!

On 10/28/2019 at 5:15 PM, Jerry the Berry said:

Yes I remember going to Bournemouth and Shrewsbury on 'The League Liner'. I got into a game of cards, which I am sure was rigged because I lost  money. It could have been because I had a really bad headache though.

22 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I worked at Platt's at the time as well.

On 10/24/2019 at 3:32 PM, Jerry the Berry said:

Having a declutter, found about 20 issues of “ Beyond the Boundary “ fanzine ! great reading , first one says it must be a long time since we had 2 players in the full England squad  as Jobbo and Earl Barrett were in that week , Happy Days , not going to get much work done and these are not going to get thrown out . BTB was produced and edited by Pete Mason , Kaptain Klueless and Brian T Green

Cheers Jerry I’ll tell Harry and Brian next time I see them (Pete Mason)

2 hours ago, No Pyro No Party said:

Found this on YouTube which answers a lot of my questions but what a cracking documentary. Back in the 92-93 season, interviews with JR, the players, local fans and follows us throughout that season. Great insight.

Thanks for looking that out. Really enjoyed it. 😊

First game 1985 had the 1st play off defeat afte the rule change and thought missed out chance. Little did I know what was to follow I wouldn't swap it for the world but think opportunity where missed at that time with bus us and oldham bears. To think for my 1st 12 years I only knew them as a team in the top two divisions never seen them lower. Seems an impossible dream away now. Live in wolves now and I look at their club and think about how we used to routinely beat them home and away. 

Archived