What was it like when we were good?

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for those slightly older than me. What specifically happened between 1986-87 and 1987-88 for us to go from promotion-chasing to fighting relegation. We perked up strongly in the second half of the season but I recall the first half of 1987-88 as a bit of a car crash really. Was it injuries, or the sale of some players which caused it?

38 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Question for those slightly older than me. What specifically happened between 1986-87 and 1987-88 for us to go from promotion-chasing to fighting relegation. We perked up strongly in the second half of the season but I recall the first half of 1987-88 as a bit of a car crash really. Was it injuries, or the sale of some players which caused it?

Yep, we signed Ritchie in 87/88 and he was injured for a large part of it.... & we sold Andy Goram to Hibs... and lost some experience by selling Ron Futcher to Bradford.... Tony Henry to Stoke.... & Kevin Moore - who we had on loan from Grimbsy - went to Southampton to be reunited with Chris Nicholl.

The younger lads who took their places, like Andy Gorton/Andy Rhodes - who signed in 87/88, Mike Flynn, Mike Cecere, Mike Milligan & Earl Barrett - signed in 87/88 & played at LB to start with - were still raw..... Frank Bunn joined for the 2nd half of the season and began scoring too. I remember it being 2-2 at home to Reading and him scoring 2 in the last minute. 87/88 was also the season we were 2-0 down at HT away at Shrewsbury and Palmer scored a 2nd half hat-trick. I've still got the football pink from that weekend.

Season after was the same story, we had a shocker over the winter and clawed it back at the end.... season after that, well.... I'll never see the likes again.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:45 PM, Dave_Og said:

there are 400 out there somewhere...

I’ve got one..... and I’m keeping it! Don’t often get mentioned in a book.

Mind you Dave, you must have had more time on your hands back then than Singe has now 😉.

55 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Yep, we signed Ritchie in 87/88 and he was injured for a large part of it.... & we sold Andy Goram to Hibs... and lost some experience by selling Ron Futcher to Bradford.... Tony Henry to Stoke.... & Kevin Moore - who we had on loan from Grimbsy - went to Southampton to be reunited with Chris Nicholl.

The younger lads who took their places, like Andy Gorton/Andy Rhodes - who signed in 87/88, Mike Flynn, Mike Cecere, Mike Milligan & Earl Barrett - signed in 87/88 & played at LB to start with - were still raw..... Frank Bunn joined for the 2nd half of the season and began scoring too. I remember it being 2-2 at home to Reading and him scoring 2 in the last minute. 87/88 was also the season we were 2-0 down at HT away at Shrewsbury and Palmer scored a 2nd half hat-trick. I've still got the football pink from that weekend.

Season after was the same story, we had a shocker over the winter and clawed it back at the end.... season after that, well.... I'll never see the likes again.

Frankie seemed to be the catalyst to it all coming right. As for Cecere I really thought we had a decent young striker but he flattered to deceive, didn't he end up joining the police force instead of plying his trade elsewhere. 

15 minutes ago, disjointed said:

..... As for Cecere I really thought we had a decent young striker but he flattered to deceive, didn't he end up joining the police force instead of plying his trade elsewhere. 

Me too.... he looked good against Spurs in the FA Cup game we lost 4-2..... I thought he was bit of a cult figure at Exeter after us....? Did't we sell him to Udders first?

1 hour ago, JED said:

I’ve got one..... and I’m keeping it! Don’t often get mentioned in a book.

Mind you Dave, you must have had more time on your hands back then than Singe has now 😉.

Ha!

Funnily enough, I wanted to keep mine too, but not 100% sure where it is.

@Dave_Og is this just as oyou haven't got a copy?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I've only got one copy and that stays put! I do have the book on floppy disks!! 

I would like a read if you fancied sharing it electronically Dave? Maybe in return for the price of a pint* to charity?

* Sam Smith's mild, 1983 prices

12 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I would like a read if you fancied sharing it electronically Dave? Maybe in return for the price of a pint* to charity?

* Sam Smith's mild, 1983 prices

Wouldn't mind but I don't have the technology to do it - i.e. computer from the same era as your kind beer offer....

6 hours ago, disjointed said:

Frankie seemed to be the catalyst to it all coming right. As for Cecere I really thought we had a decent young striker but he flattered to deceive, didn't he end up joining the police force instead of plying his trade elsewhere. 

I think it was Jim Steele who ended up being a copper.

1 hour ago, unsworth blue said:

Ste

Mike Cecere did too as far as I recall, he certainly left to be a copper, whether or not he eventually became one I have no idea   

He played for half a dozen clubs after he left us

On 10/31/2019 at 1:04 PM, lookersstandandy said:

People never mention that 88-89 was, in it's way, as grim as now at times.

Crowds mainly in the 5,000's - I think City at 19,000 and Blackburn at 11000 were the only times we got double figures in the league - rattling round in a much bigger ground often with a shit atmosphere (not drum led shit like now but shit for those times).

Still, the buzz for the likes of City, Leeds, Blackburn, Bradford, even Chelsea who were still quite glamorous opponents despite generally having been shit for years was there several times during the season...   

59 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

People never mention that 88-89 was, in it's way, as grim as now at times.

Crowds mainly in the 5,000's - I think City at 19,000 and Blackburn at 11000 were the only times we got double figures in the league - rattling round in a much bigger ground often with a shit atmosphere (not drum led shit like now but shit for those times).

Still, the buzz for the likes of City, Leeds, Blackburn, Bradford, even Chelsea who were still quite glamorous opponents despite generally having been shit for years was there several times during the season...   

that was it we still had dirty Leeds citeah & bastard rovers to look forward to even during the grimest times now all we have to get exited about are macclesfield and salford ffs ah well i ive said before it was fuckin brilliant  while it lasted 

4 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

People never mention that 88-89 was, in it's way, as grim as now at times....

Hmmm. Attendances were low.... but they were low everywhere is those days. B@stard only averaged 8k at home - finishing in the play offs. We had 7k in 15th. There were 5 teams with worse attendances in the 2nd tier, only 3 teams in the 3rd tier averaged more; Wolves, Sheff U & PNE (W@nky Wanderers only had 5.5k) & no one in the 4th tier inc Burnley. The football wasn’t as grim though. We had some dire patches,  but we beat Citeh 4-1 away, Brum & Ipswich 4-0, Oxford, Walsall, Shrews 3-0 & Pompey 5-3 at home..... fat chance of us putting that many goals past teams this season....

On 10/31/2019 at 2:01 PM, disjointed said:

I(☺️).... I mean he went around the lower leagues a bit playing for Chester, Huddersfield, Walsall, Exeter, Stockport and Dale before he joined the Police after an 11 year pro career. He showed lots of early potential with that hat trick against Blackburn at BP and What looked like the winning goal in the play offs against Leeds, but it wasn’t to be.

On 11/1/2019 at 4:18 PM, HarryBosch said:

Was that the City game when their fans basically tried to rip down the Lookers stand?

Before my time, but I've heard the story..

6 hours ago, JoeP said:

Was that the City game when their fans basically tried to rip down the Lookers stand?

Before my time, but I've heard the story..

If it was, they also tried to kick down the doors of the Clayton Arms.

Archived