Northampton (H)

Surely it should be the same XI again?  Can't think of any player coming into the side who would make that much of a difference to be worth bringing in.

Not surprised that Northampton are near the playoffs, Keith Curle knows how to build effective teams at this level.  But I don't think they'll overrun us, it'll probably be an ugly low-scoring game.*  Hopefully we'll find a way to grind out a win.

*I might have to go for a 4-4 draw in the prediction league as a cover bet!

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would be happy with a scrappy 1-0 win.. I would love nothing more than a goal bonaza but i just dont see it yet .. Midfield and defense we are looking organised and hard to beat, just the issue with scoring goals now.. but roll on sat 

1 hour ago, Frankies6 said:

i would be happy with a scrappy 1-0 win.. I would love nothing more than a goal bonaza but i just dont see it yet .. Midfield and defense we are looking organised and hard to beat, just the issue with scoring goals now.. but roll on sat 

Yeah, just want to get a little run going and build some confidence. 

Agree with eagles getting more game time but I think Morais  has been our most consistent performer  since he joined,  against Walsall he was the one setting the pace early doors  with quick pressing  and ball movement . Smith has also performed well  so I think eagles off the bench for  last half hour  is best he can hope for. He hasn’t exactly pulled up any plants  since he been here 🤞he does this weekend 

1 hour ago, Handsy said:

Agree with eagles getting more game time but I think Morais  has been our most consistent performer  since he joined,  against Walsall he was the one setting the pace early doors  with quick pressing  and ball movement . Smith has also performed well  so I think eagles off the bench for  last half hour  is best he can hope for. He hasn’t exactly pulled up any plants  since he been here 🤞he does this weekend 

Before the much disliked director said this, I’d only seen the phrase used with trees not plants ? Now everyone seems to have adopted this ? Weird. 

19 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

Having watched him in the youths I have a feeling McKinney could start or come off the bench and score.

Far better footballer than either of our current strikers.

27 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Having watched him in the youths I have a feeling McKinney could start or come off the bench and score.

Yet he missed at least 2 gilt edged chances on Tuesday.

Maybe we are getting a bit carried away with our youths, however much potential they possess.

Just now, Bobledgersheart said:

Yet he missed at least 2 gilt edged chances on Tuesday.

Maybe we are getting a bit carried away with our youths, however much potential they possess.

Not bothered about that, if they get in goal  scoring positions often enough goals will be scored.

I remember a youth at Sheffield United many years ago missing lots of easy chances in one game. Keith Edwards, check out his later career goalscoring record.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Not bothered about that, if they get in goal  scoring positions often enough goals will be scored.

I remember a youth at Sheffield United many years ago missing lots of easy chances in one game. Keith Edwards, check out his later career goalscoring record.

Our strikers now don't get the service. When they have they've scored. Why would a youth get more chances? He'd be feeding off the same scraps

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I'm not saying the lad won't make it as a footballer or goalscorer, just that perhaps he's not quite ready yet, which is what you suggested.  

The idea that these young lads can be transplanted wholesale into the first team, especially a struggling one, is foolish.

Dino seems to be taking the slowly slowly approach at present which is how it's normally done.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I'm not saying the lad won't make it as a footballer or goalscorer, just that perhaps he's not quite ready yet, which is what you suggested.  

The idea that these young lads can be transplanted wholesale into the first team, especially a struggling one, is foolish.

Dino seems to be taking the slowly slowly approach at present which is how it's normally done.

He transported a 15yo into the first team, that's hardly slowly  slowly.

17 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Looks a very gifted player, I get a feeling dino rates him highly but is trying to protect him also..I know Willie Donachie used to say " If they are good enough , they are old enough"

On 10/30/2019 at 8:39 PM, League one forever said:

Yeah, just want to get a little run going and build some confidence. 

2 decent clean sheets, Will help Dino massively having an experienced head at the side of him..Dino love it at Oldham, loves the fans and its great that the fans have taken to Dino also..I think Dino is going to build a decent squad of players  and wont be long before we asre top 10.. 

On 10/30/2019 at 7:06 PM, unsworth blue said:

Last 2 seasons have been 5-1 (on holiday) and 2-5 (sadly there)….. in my warped mind, I can see a 5-3 to Latics but can't see anyone capable of getting more than 1 goal so 5 different scorers 

i dont there are 5 goals in our team yet, so happy to take a 2-1 win on saturday 

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He transported a 15yo into the first team, that's hardly slowly  slowly.

You could argue now is exactly the right time to do it. Maybe after a couple more decent results if relegation becomes very unlikely we could use this season to blood a lot of them while trying to get the crap off the books. Has to be a better policy than the current one.

39 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

You could argue now is exactly the right time to do it. Maybe after a couple more decent results if relegation becomes very unlikely we could use this season to blood a lot of them while trying to get the crap off the books. Has to be a better policy than the current one.

Still need to earn about another 30 points yet...

Archived