NEWPORT AWAY

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Hands on said:

It has been said before but Dino obviously rates the non French speaking players

Its interesting to see that our results have improved since Maouche and a few others has been dropped to the bench....

*I actually think Maouche could be handy being a squad player at this level coming off the bench and aslong as his wage reflects this status Im ok with him being here.

It wasn't a great game, but we deserved the three points. I'm not sure we changed our approach to the game massively - it just worked for once.

Always had a soft spot for Newport and their fans were friendly and gracious in town afterwards. Good luck to them. 

59 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It wasn't a great game, but we deserved the three points. I'm not sure we changed our approach to the game massively - it just worked for once.

Always had a soft spot for Newport and their fans were friendly and gracious in town afterwards. Good luck to them. 

At the minute it’s all about the points. Looking forward to Swindon Away in a fortnight - old blues reunion 😀

15 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

It was brilliantly worked and we very nearly scored from it. The corner routine a few minutes later where it was hit low and hard to the near post and flicked out to the edge of the box for Hamer to have a crack nearly came off as well.

After that first flurry of action, I thought we struggled to get out of our own half for the next 30 minutes, passes went astray and, thankfully, Newport fluffed their openings. 

The goal was very well taken and gave us the confidence boost we needed. I thought we were the better team second half, although Newport had their moments, but we looked pretty solid at the back.

All in all, a hard fought victory and, on the balance of play, just about deserved. To me, the formation looked more a 4-4-1-1 than a 5-4-1, but it worked. Well done Dino and the 11 in blue.

Good to know that we're trying out different things at dead ball situations. Given our overall lack of firepower in open play this has to be worth a try, and can be practised over and over in training.

Just like to echo the congrats to all fans who made the journey in filthy weather. You were rewarded!

19 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

Can I say "Well Done" to Dino, his tactics and team selection, the players and also a massive "Well Done" to ALL THE FANS who made their way to Newport, whether locally or from Oldham?

I can't recall ever seeing a stranger question than this..... 

Make no mistake we were shit & it was a shit game but what a great result.

I was going to boo them off at half time for the first time in my life before we scored. 

But I'll settle for such drudgery for the rest of the season if it gets us up.

We really need to get promoted from this godforsaken league. 

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Make no mistake we were shit & it was a shit game but what a great result.

I was going to boo them off at half time for the first time in my life before we scored. 

But I'll settle for such drudgery for the rest of the season if it gets us up.

We really need to get promoted from this godforsaken league. 

I thought league one had copyrighted 'godforsaken league'. 

Azankpo is very rapidly giving O'Grady a run for his money as the worst player to ever wear the shirt on a regular basis.

Wheater was better but is still phoning it in.

I think we need to beat Burton and get a good away draw so he can be enthused by seeing that we're not quite as tinpot as he might currently think.

I thought de la Paz was good despite not having much to do (which is always a good attribute in a keeper) 

We controlled the game and protected the lead very well by camping out in their half but, my god, it was life draining....

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Azankpo is very rapidly giving O'Grady a run for his money as the worst player to ever wear the shirt on a regular basis.

Wheater was better but is still phoning it in.

I think we need to beat Burton and get a good away draw so he can be enthused by seeing that we're not quite as tinpot as he might currently think.

I thought de la Paz was good despite not having much to do (which is always a good attribute in a keeper) 

We controlled the game and protected the lead very well by camping out in their half but, my god, it was life draining....

I'd take this performance every week tbh...:)

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I don't think any striker would be able to look good with this formation.  It's almost pointless playing a striker at all..

23 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

fantastic result is this ! Another game unbeaten and a clean sheet away from home ! And McCann has been a fantastic addition to the squad..Hats of to whoever signed him 👏

I have just watched the game and it was pretty dreadful. Far too many hopeful punts up the pitch from both teams. Newport were nothing like the Newport of last season, and they were woeful. At last an OAFC team wasting time and getting away with it. 

McCann is only on a short term contract, which I presume runs out in January, (maybe to save money on the budget) but he needs to be signed up for the rest of the season. Hopefully an offer has been made already, but will it be competitive?.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

You mean 4-2-3-1?

Why do so many other teams use it and use it really effectively then.

It looked more like a 4-4-1-1 to me which, if used effectively, can easily become a 4-3-3 when attacking and a 5-4-1 when defending. Although not brilliantly switched, I thought we adopted all of those formations at times.

3 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

It looked more like a 4-4-1-1 to me which, if used effectively, can easily become a 4-3-3 when attacking and a 5-4-1 when defending. Although not brilliantly switched, I thought we adopted all of those formations at times.

Exactly aslong as you have the players to do it then it works. Look at the goal yesterday a shot by Smith and a follow up by Mills a goal because 2 midfielders get in the box.

I do find this theory that you can't score with 1 uptop a total fallacy.

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You mean 4-2-3-1?

Why do so many other teams use it and use it really effectively then.

Whatever formation we're playing, it's definitely not "effective".

One up front doesn't work.  We expect the lone striker to produce miracles from scraps. It's not like we've been unlucky in the numerous games we've lost - we don't miss loads of chances, because we don't create any.  Much needed three points yesterday, etc but it was bloody anti-football.  Newport were rubbish.  We were rubbish, but we took the sole chance that came our way.

Just now, JoeP said:

Whatever formation we're playing, it's definitely not "effective".

One up front doesn't work.  We expect the lone striker to produce miracles from scraps. It's not like we've been unlucky in the numerous games we've lost - we don't miss loads of chances, because we don't create any.  Much needed three points yesterday, etc but it was bloody anti-football.  Newport were rubbish.  We were rubbish, but we took the sole chance that came our way.

I'm genuinely facinated by people like you who think this I wonder what other football do you watch? Sergio Aguero plays as a lone striker City its either him or Jesus. Do they play anti football? Before you say it yes teams in league 1 and 2 play 1 up the middle.

The key is to get supporting players into the box as I highlighted above look at the goal yesterday Smith and Mills 2 midfielders getting in the box and it drops to one of them.

The problem is we don't do that enough.

Archived