NEWPORT AWAY

12 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'm genuinely facinated by people like you who think this I wonder what other football do you watch? Sergio Aguero plays as a lone striker City its either him or Jesus. Do they play anti football? Before you say it yes teams in league 1 and 2 play 1 up the middle.

The key is to get supporting players into the box as I highlighted above look at the goal yesterday Smith and Mills 2 midfielders getting in the box and it drops to one of them.

The problem is we don't do that enough.

It doesn't work for us.  We haven't got the quality.

Look at the number of goals we score, chances we create and current standing in the league table, along with the anecdotal evidence that most of our fans think this is the worst team in living memory.

It's not a pretty football league - you've got to play an effective system.  We can only shit with the arse we are given, but there is literally nothing to suggest this formation is worth sticking with, regardless if it works for Manchester City (!!)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It doesn't work for us We haven't got the quality.

Look at the number of goals we score, chances we create and current standing in the league table, along with the anecdotal evidence that most of our fans think this is the worst team in living memory.

It's not a pretty football league - you've got to play an effective system.  We can only shit with the arse we are given, but there is literally nothing to suggest this formation is worth sticking with, regardless if it works for Manchester City (!!)

Which is the real problem isn't it?

Its not to do with formations its about the personnel.

I probably sound quite pedantic here I know but its one of those little things which is a bug bear of mine.

4 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Azankpo is very rapidly giving O'Grady a run for his money as the worst player to ever wear the shirt on a regular basis.

Wheater was better but is still phoning it in.

I think we need to beat Burton and get a good away draw so he can be enthused by seeing that we're not quite as tinpot as he might currently think.

I thought de la Paz was good despite not having much to do (which is always a good attribute in a keeper) 

We controlled the game and protected the lead very well by camping out in their half but, my god, it was life draining....

Watch Azankpo closely and you will see his biggest failing is a lack of anticipation, he's quick once he gets going, but slow off the mark.

32 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I probably sound quite pedantic here I know but its one of those little things which is a bug bear of mine.

Well, yeah.  I haven't got a fear of the number one or anything like that...

I just want us to play in a way that we're going to score goals and for Oldham Athletic at the moment, playing one up front isn't doing that.

We can't change the players, so why not change the formation?

58 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We can change the formation tomorrow; we can't do the same with the squad.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Exactly aslong as you have the players to do it then it works. Look at the goal yesterday a shot by Smith and a follow up by Mills a goal because 2 midfielders get in the box.

I do find this theory that you can't score with 1 uptop a total fallacy.

I find this cant score idea ridiculous anyway. Bar the odd game, weve been able to score and half the time score 2. We would all love a 20 goal striker or to b sticking 3 or 4 in every week, but the last few seasons weve struggled a lot more than this year. I think consistency is our biggest problem. Too many players who only have a good game once in 5

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Watch Azankpo closely and you will see his biggest failing is a lack of anticipation, he's quick once he gets going, but slow off the mark.

He has great enthusiasm and is a willing runner but...

He has poor positional sense, gives away too many fouls when closing down; also the ball does not stick when played into him and he should not be played as a lone striker in my opinion.

Wilson is the better player and should be starting ahead of Segbe. 

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

He has poor positional sense, gives away too many fouls when closing down; also the ball does not stick when played into him and he should not be played as a lone striker 

But apart from that.... 

12 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

He has great enthusiasm and is a willing runner but...

He has poor positional sense, gives away too many fouls when closing down; also the ball does not stick when played into him and he should not be played as a lone striker in my opinion.

Wilson is the better player and should be starting ahead of Segbe. 

A fair assessment, I thought he was at his best at Plymouth when pulling out to the left flank and running at their right full-back or centre back.

I agree that Wilson is a better central striker, although neither are by any means a lone striker or target man.

If Dino gets his way in January, I can see him making a rugged physical forward his priority.  With a player like that on board, Wilson and Azankpo will be more effective than the first half of the season (not hard I know!)

14 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Completely correct, and the reason he is absolutely awful.

You can see his runs are of similar ilk to a child in the playground who just runs around after the ball, and not having any idea what he's supposed to do when he actually gets near it.

Don't agree at all that he's "awful".

I agree with those saying his positioning can be poor and when challenging for the ball he usually comes out second best but I feel it's down to the formation he's being played in.

He's netted 4 times for us so far this season: Liverpool U21s, Walsall, Fleetwood and Morecambe. All of which didn't come from some long shot or some intricate dribbling from him. Liverpool U21 was a worldy chip as the last man, Fleetwood was parked in front of the net and so was Walsall.

He's the player you want parked in front of the net or ready to run on a through-ball which isn't his role at Latics. He's currently a lone striker who's small up against a line of League Two defenders. It's visible that's just not him. Feel this is why he runs about a lot trying to compensate.

If we had 2 strikers or a midfield that could feed the ball better with him as the last man I feel he'd be in a much better situation. He can score; he's proved that elsewhere, albeit at a lower level in France. His pace and finishing are wasted in this current formation.

Really rate the guy. Plus his dedication is admirable.

41 minutes ago, No Pyro No Party said:

Don't agree at all that he's "awful".

I agree with those saying his positioning can be poor and when challenging for the ball he usually comes out second best but I feel it's down to the formation he's being played in.

He's netted 4 times for us so far this season: Liverpool U21s, Walsall, Fleetwood and Morecambe. All of which didn't come from some long shot or some intricate dribbling from him. Liverpool U21 was a worldy chip as the last man, Fleetwood was parked in front of the net and so was Walsall.

He's the player you want parked in front of the net or ready to run on a through-ball which isn't his role at Latics. He's currently a lone striker who's small up against a line of League Two defenders. It's visible that's just not him. Feel this is why he runs about a lot trying to compensate.

If we had 2 strikers or a midfield that could feed the ball better with him as the last man I feel he'd be in a much better situation. He can score; he's proved that elsewhere, albeit at a lower level in France. His pace and finishing are wasted in this current formation.

Really rate the guy. Plus his dedication is admirable.

Their is nothing to suggest that putting him upfront in a 2 is going to work infact I tell you now it won't 

Here is his career stats taken from wiki. You're idea of a player that can score and mine are somewhat different.

2012–2013 Metz B 28 (1)
2013–2014 Jeunesse Esch 11 (6)
2014–2015 Le Puy 19 (7)
2015–2017 Pagny-sur-Moselle 21 (12)
2017–2018 Épinal 22 (11)
2018–2019 FK Senica 25 (4)
2019– Oldham Athletic 17 (2

38 minutes ago, maddog said:

I really have no issue with people who run around a lot. 

Neither do I just aslong as they can do a little bit more than just run.   

16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Their is nothing to suggest that putting him upfront in a 2 is going to work infact I tell you now it won't 

Here is his career stats taken from wiki. You're idea of a player that can score and mine are somewhat different.

2012–2013 Metz B 28 (1)
2014–2015 Le Puy 19 (7)
2017–2018 Épinal 22 (11)

Neither do I just aslong as they can do a little bit more than just run.   

Those stats also illustrate that we're on the verge of using him more than he's ever been used at the highest level he's ever played at whilst he's had the 2nd worst form of his career.... 

Marvelllous....

22 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'm genuinely facinated by people like you who think this I wonder what other football do you watch? Sergio Aguero plays as a lone striker City its either him or Jesus. Do they play anti football? Before you say it yes teams in league 1 and 2 play 1 up the middle.

The key is to get supporting players into the box as I highlighted above look at the goal yesterday Smith and Mills 2 midfielders getting in the box and it drops to one of them.

The problem is we don't do that enough.

This works in the Prem. and probably in the Championship, but at our level the players just aren't good enough to play this way. The passing isn't accurate enough, and whoever gets in the box isn't clever enough when shooting. 

6 minutes ago, al_bro said:

This works in the Prem. and probably in the Championship, but at our level the players just aren't good enough to play this way. The passing isn't accurate enough, and whoever gets in the box isn't clever enough when shooting. 

According to sky sports Swindon play with a 4-2-3-1 line up, with Doyle as the striker.  

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

2012–2013 Metz B 28 (1)
2014–2015 Le Puy 19 (7)
2017–2018 Épinal 22 (11)

What those stats seem to show is that he's had a better goalscoring record at almost every other club he's played at. 

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

According to sky sports Swindon play with a 4-2-3-1 line up, with Doyle as the striker.  

Have you seen Swindon play under Wellens ? Play passing football and battered us at our place last year and all they needed was someone who can score goals. They have got that in Doyle and look at them flying. 

Archived