NEWPORT AWAY

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Have you seen Swindon play under Wellens ? Play passing football and battered us at our place last year and all they needed was someone who can score goals. They have got that in Doyle and look at them flying. 

So a lone striker can work at league 2 then?

I've not missed Swindon away since I moved to where I am now.  I really don't fancy it this year.  Look at what you could have won...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

So a lone striker can work at league 2 then?

I've not missed Swindon away since I moved to where I am now.  I really don't fancy it this year.  Look at what you could have won...

Course it can ? never said it couldn’t. It’s a better formation than 442 when used effectively. Just a shame we are shit 

35 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Have you seen Swindon play under Wellens ? Play passing football and battered us at our place last year and all they needed was someone who can score goals. They have got that in Doyle and look at them flying. 

Oddly enough, I was talking about Swindon Town with Step-son the Younger the other day. He'd been chatting with his Dad (Mrs B's ex), who is secretary of their Supporters Trust. He said the frustrating thing about Wellens is that he never has a Plan B and some of his substitutions are unfathomable.

That's pretty much what many of our supporters criticised him for, so he doesn't seem to learn. What he has got, though, is two strikers who we could desperately do with. In fact, their starting XI is superior to ours. However, once Swindon go in front, they'll likely win the game but, if they go behind and are struggling, chances are they won't because he doesn't know how to change things. 

Obviously, I haven't seen them play this season, so this isn't my take on it, but it's the opinion of someone who watches them on a regular basis.

7 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Oddly enough, I was talking about Swindon Town with Step-son the Younger the other day. He'd been chatting with his Dad (Mrs B's ex), who is secretary of their Supporters Trust. He said the frustrating thing about Wellens is that he never has a Plan B and some of his substitutions are unfathomable.

That's pretty much what many of our supporters criticised him for, so he doesn't seem to learn. What he has got, though, is two strikers who we could desperately do with. In fact, their starting XI is superior to ours. However, once Swindon go in front, they'll likely win the game but, if they go behind and are struggling, chances are they won't because he doesn't know how to change things. 

Obviously, I haven't seen them play this season, so this isn't my take on it, but it's the opinion of someone who watches them on a regular basis.

That’s a fair comment and more than likely is correct. However it should be taken into consideration he is yet to complete a full year in management, it’s his second job and the first was us under AL. I’m sure he will learn, but the fundamentals of what he try’s to get his teams to do is there. But still can’t get over not getting a single win from 8. 

40 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Course it can ? never said it couldn’t. It’s a better formation than 442 when used effectively. Just a shame we are shit 

Crossed wires. Others seemed to be saying it. 

Changing the emphasis of this thread - I thought that the Newport County stewards, staff and supporters were very welcoming and the Fans Bar within the ground for away fans  was a very good facility for travelling supporters. If only we could offer the same to visitors to the Holy Ground.

Are my opinions on the hospitality of Newport County shared by others who travelled?      

3 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

... once Swindon go in front, they'll likely win the game but, if they go behind and are struggling, chances are they won't because he doesn't know how to change things. 

Swindon have just won 5 games on the bounce and I think Doyle is on 17 goals for the season now........... fingers and toes crossed for an "off day" for them.

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Their is nothing to suggest that putting him upfront in a 2 is going to work infact I tell you now it won't 

Here is his career stats taken from wiki. You're idea of a player that can score and mine are somewhat different.

2012–2013 Metz B 28 (1)
2013–2014 Jeunesse Esch 11 (6)
2014–2015 Le Puy 19 (7)
2015–2017 Pagny-sur-Moselle 21 (12)
2017–2018 Épinal 22 (11)
2018–2019 FK Senica 25 (4)
2019– Oldham Athletic 17 (2

Neither do I just aslong as they can do a little bit more than just run.   

Our ideas of a goalscorer are probably the same just the reality of what that supposedly is at Latics right now is either Wilson or Segbé (and there goes my happiness for the day).

The fact is he's netted elsewhere fairly regularly. He's keen, pacey, likes to be hovering around the net. Every time he's scored that's where he's been. My gripe is why aren't we playing him there? Why is he on his own when it's clear he can't physically handle the opposition's defence? Have him trying to beat the offside trap, the target man from a supporting striker or just hovering in the box waiting for a bobble/rebound. I can't understand why we're not changing things up up-front. That's literally how we beat Newport this weekend.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

And no one  has claimed that they’re tactically astute either...👀

It's certainly worth a discussion though, given it that their interference in team matters is almost certainly more to blame for our relegation than anything Wellens ever did. 

Wellens - had us flying before the Lemsagams arrived and has Swindon flying now.  By far his worst stint so far has been under our delightful owners.  Funny that..

55 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Wellens - had us flying before the Lemsagams arrived and has Swindon flying now.  By far his worst stint so far has been under our delightful owners.  Funny that..

Probably just a coincidence 😂

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

It's certainly worth a discussion though, given it that their interference in team matters is almost certainly more to blame for our relegation than anything Wellens ever did. 

Let’s not re-write history.

He was there in the summer under Sheridan. He watched at close quarters Sheridan's departure and the reasons for it. He knew exactly what he was getting into. We ‘flew’ for four games. Then we faded. Badly. We faded to such an extent that he couldn’t get a win in the last 8 games. We went down. 

Did the chuckle brothers have effect? Of course they did. But to absolve poor old Ritchie of any responsibility is nonsense. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He was there in the summer under Sheridan. He watched at close quarters Sheridan's departure and the reasons for it. He knew exactly what he was getting into. We ‘flew’ for four games. Then we faded. Badly. We faded to such an extent that he couldn’t get a win in the last 8 games. We went down. 

Did the chuckle brothers have effect? Of course they did. But to absolve poor old Ritchie of any responsibility is nonsense. 

Bit hard to know what you are getting into when you've never done it before...

34 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We faded badly. We’re still fading badly, all under Lemsegam’s watch, while Wellens’ Swindon are flying, which shows he’s capable, while countless staff, players and managers - past and probably present - find the situation at the club unworkable.

Twist it anyway you like, but I believe that if Wellens had have been left to his own devices we would have stayed up and be in a better position now.

24 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Bit hard to know what you are getting into when you've never done it before...

I knew you’ll be along Eyresy. 😂

Joe said ‘Wellens had us flying before the lemsagams arrived’  That’s not true. As everyone knows AL was pulling the purse strings well before Wellens was appointed- Or were menig omrani etc all Corney signings. .🙄

At the very least Wellens knew he taking a job with lots going on. He made a positive start, then blamed everyone else. He was backed with 8 of his own players in Jan, and we still went down. Good luck to him Swindon, maybe he learnt some lessons for his time here, and they’re reaping the benefits. However it doesn’t change the fact that he managed a club that went down. Plenty of other managers do ok at ‘crisis’ clubs, when their back is against the wall. Ryan Lowe dealt with far worse than wellens, and he still got results. Blaming the owner and whoever else for your own shortcomings lacks personal responsibility IMO. 

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We faded badly. We’re still fading badly, all under Lemsegam’s watch, while Wellens’ Swindon are flying, which shows he’s capable, while countless staff, players and managers - past and probably present - find the situation at the club unworkable.

Twist it anyway you like, but I believe that if Wellens had have been left to his own devices we would have stayed up and be in a better position now.

Joe,  if you don’t like counter opinion don’t come on a message board. You wanted to debate Wellens, so I am doing. I’m not ‘twisting’ anything. I’m merely pointing you’re factually incorrect. Wellens didn’t have us flying before AL came in. Wellens was working for the club as an assistant for months while AL was there.  Wellens flew under AL- for four games. He wanted more players- AL gave him 8 of his own players in Jan. He was the manager when we were relegated. You can’t ignore that, because of a really good start at Swindon. He may go on to be very good. Good luck to him. However he was largely poor in his tenure with us. 

Archived