Akpa Akpro Signs

If I were a manager looking for a goal at 1 nil down, I’d definitely have brought this guy on with his immaculate scoring record rather than a guy who got double figures for a relegation fighting club literally last season who was on the bench next to him. And I’d definitely make sure I brought him on for the only other striker on the pitch. Because I’m a good coach

• 1 month later...

He can only ever have been thought of as a  (desperate attempt at a) sticking plaster.

If we were to look for a positive maybe there is a recognition that the squad post summer recruitment wasn't good enough and bringing him on a short term deal was intended to not block a space for anyone better available in January.

This only makes sense if we get some better players in January. If we will or have remains to be seen.

For me the whole approach needs a rethink. There does not seem to be a plan. A clear out every 12 months and then scrabble to get another squad isn't working. Maybe this is the reality of lower league football- but it isn't very appealing. Turning up each August to see a pitch full of strangers fail to click is a turn off.

It needs to be plan to build something. Imagine a core of five or six who were good enough on reasonable length contracts, supplemented by a few loans, blooding a few youngsters over time. Much lower turnover of the core or youngsters (admittedly having to sell one of two from time to time), and a small group of others who at least offered something who might not be part of the 4 year vision.

11 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

He can only ever have been thought of as a  (desperate attempt at a) sticking plaster.

If we were to look for a positive maybe there is a recognition that the squad post summer recruitment wasn't good enough and bringing him on a short term deal was intended to not block a space for anyone better available in January.

This only makes sense if we get some better players in January. If we will or have remains to be seen.

For me the whole approach needs a rethink. There does not seem to be a plan. A clear out every 12 months and then scrabble to get another squad isn't working. Maybe this is the reality of lower league football- but it isn't very appealing. Turning up each August to see a pitch full of strangers fail to click is a turn off.

It needs to be plan to build something. Imagine a core of five or six who were good enough on reasonable length contracts, supplemented by a few loans, blooding a few youngsters over time. Much lower turnover of the core or youngsters (admittedly having to sell one of two from time to time), and a small group of others who at least offered something who might not be part of the 4 year vision.

This for me. 
But the crucial part here is recruitment, Dino said it himself out of the 5 loan players we got only Jonny Smith was any good to us. So that’s a 20% success rate on loans. 
looking at permanent contracts I’m not evening going to look as it’s a lot less than 20% and the amount of players we have signed and ended up terminating the contracts is embarrassing.

recruitment needs to improve, and consistency is key, otherwise you rely on luck that every transfer you make will work, that’s not going to be the case majority of the time. 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Dino said it himself out of the 5 loan players we got only Jonny Smith was any good to us. So that’s a 20% success rate on loans.

This contrast with last season says it all.

Surridge 

Lang 

Iversen 

Lyden

Archived