Cheltenham (A)

1 minute ago, unsworth blue said:

Think there was about 80 Alan, weather was ridiculous, took about 4 diversions to get there for a rearranged fixture that in any ways didn't matter - think was in Paul Dickov's days

Dickov being in charge could be about right. Was it 0-0 or they may have done us 1-0. Seems like halcyon days at this moment in time. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, unsworth blue said:

Think there was about 80 Alan, weather was ridiculous, took about 4 diversions to get there for a rearranged fixture that in any ways didn't matter - think was in Paul Dickov's days

80 - 22nd Jan 2013, lost 1-0

6 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Wonder what our lowest is? I see we took 68 to a 1-0 win over Hartlepool on a March Tuesday in 2012. Any lower? 

West Ham away around 1980/81 - 7 of us in a Transit Van - honestly don't remember any other away fans there! 

And locally - Sheff Weds away same era - we had about 60 or 70 - and it was only an hour over the tops!

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

West Ham away around 1980/81 - 7 of us in a Transit Van - honestly don't remember any other away fans there! 

And locally - Sheff Weds away same era - we had about 60 or 70 - and it was only an hour over the tops!

I was at West Ham away in 1980/81 Wiseowl, there were at least 40 of us on the train - spread around the ground, I was in their end with Jimmy Ragg - went wrong way on Tube and didn't get to ground till 3.20..... directly behind Steve Taylor turning on a sixpence to fire us in front - had trouble keeping my arms down, brought some suspicious looks from the locals. 

We had a decent following at Wednesday each year around that period, I used to go and stay at a mate's in Sheffield so was always there, didn't have so many one year when we lost 3-0 to them - several offside looking goals - 1979/80 - return fixture of the riot match season? Definitely more than 60/70 though - once again  I can recall maybe 50 or so on the train. We had a very low turnout at Sheff Wednesday one night when Sharp was playing for us but that was many years after     

14 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

I was at West Ham away in 1980/81 Wiseowl, there were at least 40 of us on the train - spread around the ground, I was in their end with Jimmy Ragg - went wrong way on Tube and didn't get to ground till 3.20..... directly behind Steve Taylor turning on a sixpence to fire us in front - had trouble keeping my arms down, brought some suspicious looks from the locals. 

We had a decent following at Wednesday each year around that period, I used to go and stay at a mate's in Sheffield so was always there, didn't have so many one year when we lost 3-0 to them - several offside looking goals - 1979/80 - return fixture of the riot match season? Definitely more than 60/70 though - once again  I can recall maybe 50 or so on the train. We had a very low turnout at Sheff Wednesday one night when Sharp was playing for us but that was many years after     

Lol - the fans kept v quiet at West Ham then! My memory must be going because I could swear it was 0-0 and a night game? However having looked at the records, there only seems to have been a 1-1 Saturday game. As for Sheff Weds away - deffo only 60/70 of us - the police put us in their end with the Weds fans! We had a ring of police around us with all the Sheff nutters trying to get at us - crazy! My dates may be a little confused but used to go in a "Verity's greengrocer" van with a group of lads. They were good days - and you grew up quick trying to avoid the headcases!

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Lol - the fans kept v quiet at West Ham then! My memory must be going because I could swear it was 0-0 and a night game? However having looked at the records, there only seems to have been a 1-1 Saturday game. As for Sheff Weds away - deffo only 60/70 of us - the police put us in their end with the Weds fans! We had a ring of police around us with all the Sheff nutters trying to get at us - crazy! My dates may be a little confused but used to go in a "Verity's greengrocer" van with a group of lads. They were good days - and you grew up quick trying to avoid the headcases!

There were a fair few on the train to West Ham that day Wiseowl, I think the only night matches we had at WHU were cup semi final 2nd leg and the League cup 3rd round Carlo Corazzin winner. Think the Wednesday match must have been mid 90s - night match?  My memory of 70s and 80s is pretty good, not that good in the mid to late 90s and shocking in 21st century, must be an age thing?        

On 1/6/2020 at 4:05 PM, unsworth blue said:

Yeah I think this was the last game before the Liverpool cup match at home. Everyone was scared of getting injured... Think it was ninth winless. Dickov then got sacked..., and then unsacked thanks to Matt Smith and Co. 

9 hours ago, IceStationLatic said:

Yeah I think this was the last game before the Liverpool cup match at home. Everyone was scared of getting injured... Think it was ninth winless. Dickov then got sacked..., and then unsacked thanks to Matt Smith and Co. 

8th league game without a win - 9th was Walsall (didn't Rooney miss a pen?)

Archived