Red Card overturned.

26 minutes ago, Agnus UK said:

Referees ruining games because they fancy 2 mins under the spotlight. Referees, all of them, are charlatans. Last pick on the playground, billy no mates. 

I despise every fibre of their beings.

Yet the game doesn't exist without them.... but I agree the standard ranges between pretty bad and laughable at this level.

But who on earth would want to be a referee? There's a small pool to pick from, so it's unsurprising that the competencey declines so drastically, the further down the league you go..

4 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Silly boy.

What was the name you posted under when writing almost exactly the same a few months ago? 
Oh, tell us, how would matches be supervised in your referee free utopia?

We need referees, that doesn't mean we can't point out their failings. Their many, many failings. 

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

Not necessarily the case. The red card could have been overturned  on the basis that it was not deliberate. Under the “double jeopardy “ interpretation, a player can’t be sent off if a penalty is given and the offence wasn’t intentional . So if the ball came off his thigh onto in arm then yes a penalty but no sending off. 

Good point 

2 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Not necessarily the case. The red card could have been overturned  on the basis that it was not deliberate. Under the “double jeopardy “ interpretation, a player can’t be sent off if a penalty is given and the offence wasn’t intentional . So if the ball came off his thigh onto in arm then yes a penalty but no sending off. 

If it's handball I'm sure it has to be classed as deliberate or arm has be in an unnatural position for it to go against a defender. I think it's a different rule for defending and attacking teams when it comes to handballs. 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Not anymore. Law officially changed before the start of the season. Think the Women's World Cup was the first major use of the amended law. 

I once read a psychology book and there was a fascinating chapter on the types of "personality profile" consistently attracted to certain jobs. Referees were in the same category as traffic wardens.

I thought that was interesting.

37 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I once read a psychology book and there was a fascinating chapter on the types of "personality profile" consistently attracted to certain jobs. Referees were in the same category as traffic wardens.

I thought that was interesting.

Is that interesting?

Think I could have guessed that without reading the book. 

Both roles involve being easy targets, needing a thick skin and making decisions that are likely to piss people off...

38 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Is that interesting?

Think I could have guessed that without reading the book. 

Both roles involve being easy targets, needing a thick skin and making decisions that are likely to piss people off...

Or both roles allow sad losers to get themselves into a position of power. 

11 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

Or both roles allow sad losers to get themselves into a position of power. 

Through my job, I used to come into contact with the local traffic wardens, for about 5 years. They were nearly all just people that applied for the job because they could get it. They were different. Most lasted a couple of years. 

The people that launched long verbal attacks and rants on them could probably be categorised more easily... 

Being a referee is not easy.  Having ref ed just for fun a few times, you are constantly doubting yourself as to what you actually saw.   Someone who does it professionally doesn't see better then me, 

He is just prepared to act confident that what he thinks happened actually did happen. That necessary confidence is what we see as arrogance when the decision was wrong.

The fact is in rapidly moving situations, we miss some of what happens, and out brain fills in the gap.  It is what magicians use.

There is a little known fact, that the eye cannot see anything as it moves from one subject point to the next.  It has to be still to see. 

28 minutes ago, Agnus UK said:

Bring on the robots. Take empathy out of the equation.

Ridiculous.  They regularly get criticised for sticking to the letter of the law when they have no choice as that is how they're assessed. 

Why don't you give it a go?  I'm sure there's a Sunday league near you that would welcome an extra whistle

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Ridiculous.  They regularly get criticised for sticking to the letter of the law when they have no choice as that is how they're assessed. 

Why don't you give it a go?  I'm sure there's a Sunday league near you that would welcome an extra whistle

The problem with Refs nowadays is that they've tried to standardise their performances and brought assessors to matches to check they're following the guidelines, although little is apparently done to sanction shocking performances.

It was much better years ago when they made their decisions as individuals ( some were keen on blowing for fouls - some let the game flow ) so you basically knew what sort you were getting week to week and adjusted your game accordingly.  

17 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

3 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

I keep telling people locally that I still haven't got over the Burton keeper not being sent off at BP.

They get criticised for being shit. The above example and Saturday are just two examples were we've suffered at the hands of their shiteness. 

3 hours ago, singe said:

Through my job, I used to come into contact with the local traffic wardens, for about 5 years. They were nearly all just people that applied for the job because they could get it. They were different. Most lasted a couple of years. 

I sometimes insert grapes up my bottom and fart them out, aimed at passing traffic wardens.

36 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Alright Dave chill out.

Archived