Danny Rowe

42 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Not if you pay more than them. The club has to learn to speculate to accumulate.

Not sure I agree with that. Risky in the current situation.

Plus while that might work for some I doubt just throwing money around convinces everyone. A few extra grand isn't going to compensate for no-interest games in the bottom half of League Two, dealing with our ownership mess and management turnover, and the constant threat of missed wages. Plus is a player who'll overlook all of that for the money the kind of player we really want?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

If ever there was a time NOT to speculate this is it.

It's an even bigger gambol than usual.

I'm doubtful that even the coming season will finish.

I honestly cant even see it starting.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:35 PM, BP1960 said:

I did contact the club about him and they were tracking him but couldn't compete.

I contacted the club when Tunde hadn't even signed a contract at FC, he was effectively a free agent till November when he put pen to paper at FC, strange that such an obvious talent wasnt snapped up given his desire to be a full time professional footballer who could of cost absolutely nothing.

21 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I contacted the club when Tunde hadn't even signed a contract at FC, he was effectively a free agent till November when he put pen to paper at FC, strange that such an obvious talent wasnt snapped up given his desire to be a full time professional footballer who could of cost absolutely nothing.

Hamilton did pay an undisclosed fee though, something we were unlikely to do at this stage.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Hamilton did pay an undisclosed fee though, something we were unlikely to do at this stage.

Oh I know that but the point is he was looking to sign for a professional club (I use the term loosley) before he put pen to paper on that FC contract in early November, he would of cost nothing and was clearly better than anything else we had at the time.

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Name a better striker to pull on the latics shirt than this lad in the past 25 years. Not appreciated enough coz he’s surrounded by absolute garbage. 

I’ll admit, we’ve not had that many good ones, but I take him over anyone I’ve seen. 

Lee Hughes

3 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Name a better striker to pull on the latics shirt than this lad in the past 25 years. Not appreciated enough coz he’s surrounded by absolute garbage. 

I’ll admit, we’ve not had that many good ones, but I take him over anyone I’ve seen. 

If it’s goals per game ration then a fair few would be infront. 

although I share your appreciation of him and agree he’s class! 

Just now, super_blue said:

If it’s goals per game ration then a fair few would be infront. 

although I share your appreciation of him and agree he’s class! 

Yeah I knew stats would get brought up. I know he’s behind stats wise but he’s had a lot worse service and off field politics to contend with. 

1 hour ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Dearnley and McAleny in the last 25 days for starters

1 hour ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Bit of a cheat really but if you want to go back 25 yrs then it includes Andy Ritchie who played in 98/99 season. A footballing God.

11 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Dearnley and McAleny in the last 25 days for starters

Have you watched McAleny play for a full 90 or just the highlights? 

I know the point is you don’t rate Rowe, which is fine. Just curious on what basis you form that opinion. 

im aware the stats aren’t great, surely you can agree there are mitigating circumstances though?

4 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Bit of a cheat really but if you want to go back 25 yrs then it includes Andy Ritchie who played in 98/99 season. A footballing God.

I caught the tail end of his career but he was obviously on his way out by then. Can’t form an opinion on him but one of few players I’ve never heard a latics fan say a bad word about. 

14 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

I caught the tail end of his career but he was obviously on his way out by then. Can’t form an opinion on him but one of few players I’ve never heard a latics fan say a bad word about. 

I think it’s much harder to be a club legend these days. Shorter tenures thanks to freedom of contract, the all-seeing eye and echo chamber of 24/7 media and social media presence, etc. I’m going a bit BP1960 here (sorry, don’t mean to be rude) but I kind of miss the late 90s/early 00s days of only hearing about players in the Chron online or Teamtalk. 

19 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Have you watched McAleny play for a full 90 or just the highlights? 

I know the point is you don’t rate Rowe, which is fine. Just curious on what basis you form that opinion. 

im aware the stats aren’t great, surely you can agree there are mitigating circumstances though?

McAleny 28 league goals from 76 starts ....the vast majority in league 1 . 5 in 9 league games for us 

what mitigating circumstances ? 

2 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Rowe, Hughes, Beckett and Porter would be a good race.

All 3 are far superior to Rowe. 

All played at a much higher level than Rowe for most if not all their career. Why has a 31 year old never played higher than league two? Probably because his pace and movement aren’t good enough. 

Rowe is a good example of lowered expectation these days. He’s a decent conference/league two striker, he’s a good player for where we are and I would play him every week.  But let’s not forget how far we’ve fallen, and with it the barometer of what a real quality is. 

2 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Clyde, but I get your point 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Lee Hughes

Clyde Wijnhard

Andy Liddell (when he played up front)
Luke Beckett

Chris Porter

Eoin Doyle

Lee Hughes 

Jonathan Forte (goals to game ratio)

Sean McCarthy was on fire in 95 to begin with wasn't he?

Craig Davies 

All scored more than Danny and in a higher league - he did well today but at the risk of sounding like BCD - it was against a level he’s used to I mean Jesus, Real Madrid will on the phone for Fage the way some are going on tonight 

Could any of the above hit the post on a driving run from the left wing. Hes obviously a class player. Unproven above, but also extremely prolific at a lower level. And for majority chose not to leave. The guy is class, great vision and awareness and strikes a ball like I've never seen 

Archived