Leyton orient 22nd February

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

Not the case....Orient changed tactics by playing 2 against our fullbacks. We still attacked them but McCann and Missilou were both poor and didn't help Hamer and Mills.

Two outstanding performances today from Scylla, who broke up play and attacked Orient (apologies, not really, if I upset those who say Scylla is one of the worst players ever to wear a Latics shirt)  and Mills.

Sylla lost his man for their first goal. Did you think Fane's runs were amazing?

38 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Sylla lost his man for their first goal. Did you think Fane's runs were amazing?

What has Fane got to do with it?

I was there watching a League 2 match and I saw 11 Oldham players and named 2 

whostood out.

Did you go?

Just now, mikejh45 said:

What has Fane got to do with it?

I was there watching a League 2 match and I saw 11 Oldham players and named 2 

whostood out.

Did you go?

No but your saying he had a great game and Im pointing out he lost his man for the first goal.

As for the Fane comment well Im wondering if their is correlation between those who thought his runs were amazing and those who think Sylla is a good footballer.

So you're assessment of Sylla is based on 90 seconds of Sky output....good call. So you are in a strong position to comment on the rest of the game.

If Sylla wasn't there, the midfield would have been overrun causing big problems for our defence as Missilou and McCann were largely absent and when Missilou did get in good positions going forward, it was because Sylla put him there but you wouldn't know that, would you? It's easier to sit down and run down an opinion.

I was with a couple of friends, one Arsenal and one Southampton, who agreed me after the game but I'm sure that will give you some ammunition for a sarcastic response.

7 hours ago, LT_SMASH said:

Jesus, the body language of Missilou for Oldham's second goal says it all in terms of the togetherness of the team 🙄

Can't see a problem there. He trots over and gives his team mate a pat on the back, what's wrong with that?

Could be that Missilou is a fan of the old manly handshake following a goal, followed by a jog back into position for the kick-off. Each to his own!

8 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Can't see a problem there. He trots over and gives his team mate a pat on the back, what's wrong with that?

Could be that Missilou is a fan of the old manly handshake following a goal, followed by a jog back into position for the kick-off. Each to his own!

Like Rowe

11 hours ago, stevesidg said:

Thought Piergianni was good today

made many good clearances , broke up play well and wound up their fans, and provided an assist for the first goal 

not so good to wait 20 minutes to get served at half time 

Agree 100% Steve.....about both!

7 hours ago, oafc 123 said:

I've not been this season.  Would you say this team is good enough for a top half finish if managed correctly?

This current team - definitely. 

The team at the start of the season - probably. However, a few injuries to key players and it definitely wouldn't be. See any game without Wheater in August (e.g Bradford). 

I'd give Dino the benefit of the doubt and count games from Macclesfield away onwards. But even then we aren't in the top half. 

25 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

The team at the start of the season - probably. However, a few injuries to key players and it definitely wouldn't be. See any game without Wheater in August (e.g Bradford). 

I'd give Dino the benefit of the doubt and count games from Macclesfield away onwards. But even then we aren't in the top half. 

Agree 100% with this. Even as far back as away at Swindon now the clear leaders, we more than held our own, the only difference being they had 2 strikers who consistently put the ball in the net, we had Azankpo.

1 hour ago, mikejh45 said:

So you're assessment of Sylla is based on 90 seconds of Sky output....good call. So you are in a strong position to comment on the rest of the game.

If Sylla wasn't there, the midfield would have been overrun causing big problems for our defence as Missilou and McCann were largely absent and when Missilou did get in good positions going forward, it was because Sylla put him there but you wouldn't know that, would you? It's easier to sit down and run down an opinion.

I was with a couple of friends, one Arsenal and one Southampton, who agreed me after the game but I'm sure that will give you some ammunition for a sarcastic response.

Given the weather yesterday - strong gusting wind pushing the temperature close to freezing - I thought that both teams coped well with the playing conditions. Yes there were the usual failings and some poor technical skills on show but there was also a lot of bright play and all in all it wasn’t a bad game. As some bloke behind me kept repeating: ‘Welcome to the fourth division lads’.

All  four goals came from corners/free kicks played high into the box to take advantage of the additional pressure that the defenders faced from the swirling wind. Even the disallowed goal and the late Rowe header came from dead ball situations. 

Defensively we worked hard with Piergianni and Wheater dealing well with the inevitable aerial bombardment as well as causing problems when up front. Dearnley was sharp in converting both his goals. Mills showed good skills going forward and Sylla was my MotM for his total effort all game. In the end a point was a fair result.

Leyton Orient are a similar club to us in many ways - a small but committed fan base in the shadow of Premier league neighbours. I travelled  to the game with a good friend who is a long-standing Orient fan like his father before him. A proper fan and, as he colourfully describes himself, ‘a proper cockney wanker’.

And finally a huge shout out the the 522 Latics fans who made the journey - nonstop support throughout the game. 

My take.on yesterday was

Woods 7/10 did nothing wrong and little chance with their goals. Very little to do otherwise

Mills 7/10 did some good things in the game but gave the ball away unnecessarily a few times. Mostly solid

Wheater 7/10 did ok and calm on the ball. He should be marshalling the defence and organising much better though particularly at set pieces.

Hammer 5/10 weak link in defence yesterday. Poor possitional play on numerous occasions but never lacked commitment. Needs more direction from senior pros.

Pidge 8/10 good game. Won 90% of headers and looked dangerous at set pieces. Unlucky to give away a foul when Rowe I think put the ball in the net late on. Need to keep him for next season.

McCann 6/10 huffed and puffed but didn't really influence the game. Tough conditions to be fair in the wind. Will have better games

Sylla 9/10 MOM for me. Dominated midfield, won most 50/50 tackles and was our biggest threat 3 or 4 times with driving runs forward. Just lacks the final ball

Missi 6/10 started well but faded 2nd half. Gave away silly foul for their 2nd goal. Did win some good tackles but when ventured wide right left gaps in midfield exposing Hammer.

Dearnley 8/10 never stopped running. 2 good poachers goals. Need to get him signed for next season as a threat with his pace

Rowe 6/10 couldn't get in the game. Drifted wide too often which is not where we want him. Narrowly missed with pile-driver in the first half and had goal ruled out late on. Needs playing as a centre forward and given more of the ball.

Smith 6/10 found it difficult to get in the game. Sometimes makes the wrong decision and shoots when others are free but no complaints from me about him.

Dino 5/10 lack of organisation and communication at set pieces makes you wonder what he is doing at training sessions. All these time wasting tactics and team meetings during fake injuries make him and us look like twats! Needs a system to make Rowe more effective. Not sure he knows how to do this.

Fans 10/10! Over 500 at Orient in late Feb when most are skint and we were 86th in the football pyramid. As some have said imagine if we had something meaningful to play for!

Overall draw a fair result and 2 poor sides whose main threats came from corners sums it up. 6/10

45 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

My take.on yesterday was

Wilson 7/10 did nothing wrong and little chance with their goals. Very little to do otherwise

Mills 7/10 did some good things in the game but gave the ball away unnecessarily a few times. Mostly solid

Wheater 7/10 did ok and calm on the ball. He should be marshalling the defence and organising much better though particularly at set pieces.

Hammer 5/10 weak link in defence yesterday. Poor possitional play on numerous occasions but never lacked commitment. Needs more direction from senior pros.

Pidge 8/10 good game. Won 90% of headers and looked dangerous at set pieces. Unlucky to give away a foul when Rowe I think put the ball in the net late on. Need to keep him for next season.

McCann 6/10 huffed and puffed but didn't really influence the game. Tough conditions to be fair in the wind. Will have better games

Sylla 9/10 MOM for me. Dominated midfield, won most 50/50 tackles and was our biggest threat 3 or 4 times with driving runs forward. Just lacks the final ball

Missi 6/10 started well but faded 2nd half. Gave away silly foul for their 2nd goal. Did win some good tackles but when ventured wide right left gaps in midfield exposing Hammer.

Dearnley 8/10 never stopped running. 2 good poachers goals. Need to get him signed for next season as a threat with his pace

Rowe 6/10 couldn't get in the game. Drifted wide too often which is not where we want him. Narrowly missed with pile-driver in the first half and had goal ruled out late on. Needs playing as a centre forward and given more of the ball.

Smith 6/10 found it difficult to get in the game. Sometimes makes the wrong decision and shoots when others are free but no complaints from me about him.

Dino 5/10 lack of organisation and communication at set pieces makes you wonder what he is doing at training sessions. All these time wasting tactics and team meetings during fake injuries make him and us look like twats! Needs a system to make Rowe more effective. Not sure he knows how to do this.

Fans 10/10! Over 500 at Orient in late Feb when most are skint and we were 86th in the football pyramid. As some have said imagine if we had something meaningful to play for!

Overall draw a fair result and 2 poor sides whose main threats came from corners sums it up. 6/10

Seems a fair reflection on the game. Didn't know we'd signed another Goalie though- I think you mean Woods. 

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

My take.on yesterday was

Wilson 7/10 did nothing wrong and little chance with their goals. Very little to do otherwise

Wilson did well in goal, better than as a striker. 😉

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

My take.on yesterday was

Agree with majority of that apart from Missilou and Mills would have both been a 5 for me. Missilou pointless being played outwide/ tucking didn’t know where he was playing. 
Mills was beat by the ball over the top every time very predictable. 

3 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Agreed.

The expectation has to be top 10 minimum, clearly the owner etc have to speak about ambition for promotion ....

Few would support a view that we had the right 'plan' or resources to deliver this season, far from it.

The dynamics would have been much different had it not been for the Bury situation, Stevenage form or Morecambe earlier in the season.

Criticism of David Wheater for not being a one man defensive colossus every week is puzzling, we are significantly weaker without him, partnering with Pidge has been one of few strides made in building a decent side.

Jury must still be out on Dino, some players appear to be enjoying his tenure, others are weary of being barked at.

I will keep the faith through the summer, squad changes, then see where we are ten games in.

I think the majority of players Dino has brought in have strengthened the Team, and I always thought one half window so to speak, and one full window will see the Team he wants so to be fair we have to give him that chance.

Granted tactically he appears to be a bit lost however, if you dont have all the right pieces of the jigsaw you are never going to complete it. I would give him upto January which should really indicate a Dino team.

McCann, Pidge, Dearnley have strengthened the team and the jury is out currently on Desi, whilst Jones and the other loan striker has been let go. I still think Morais has something to offer but I hear he is in limbo.

I've just watched the game. First half we pressed well with the wind behind us. 2nd. half we ran out of steam because of the efforts in the 1st. half and playing into the wind. A better pre season to get them fitter will make a difference next season. Sylla was the best on the pitch for us. Rowe seemed lost and Hamer also had a poor game. The long throw ins just don't work, they are to high and loop in slowly and are easily dealt with by the defenders. A decent draw, but it was a game we could have won.

10 minutes ago, al_bro said:

I've just watched the game. First half we pressed well with the wind behind us. 2nd. half we ran out of steam because of the efforts in the 1st. half and playing into the wind. A better pre season to get them fitter will make a difference next season. Sylla was the best on the pitch for us. Rowe seemed lost and Hamer also had a poor game. The long throw ins just don't work, they are to high and loop in slowly and are easily dealt with by the defenders. A decent draw, but it was a game we could have won.

The truth is that pre-season is somewhat irrelevant at this time of the season.  What you were watching was the effects of this managers fairly basic training. He believes in working them hard with no real regard for recovery etc.  Hence you get players running out of steam.  This is just one more reason to consider a change of manager to someone more modern in his approach to training. Someone who is a better tactician and someone who is better at man management would also be nice. 

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

The truth is that pre-season is somewhat irrelevant at this time of the season.  What you were watching was the effects of this managers fairly basic training. He believes in working them hard with no real regard for recovery etc.  Hence you get players running out of steam.  This is just one more reason to consider a change of manager to someone more modern in his approach to training. Someone who is a better tactician and someone who is better at man management would also be nice. 

Agreed. I'd have stuck with Benide as head coach long term, and had a more vocal British assistant to help with motivation etc. Big arms is simply not a coach from what I can see.

19 hours ago, Blue Feather said:

I think the majority of players Dino has brought in have strengthened the Team, and I always thought one half window so to speak, and one full window will see the Team he wants so to be fair we have to give him that chance.

Granted tactically he appears to be a bit lost however, if you dont have all the right pieces of the jigsaw you are never going to complete it. I would give him upto January which should really indicate a Dino team.

McCann, Pidge, Dearnley have strengthened the team and the jury is out currently on Desi, whilst Jones and the other loan striker has been let go. I still think Morais has something to offer but I hear he is in limbo.

Agree. Of the eleven that started on Saturday, only two, Sylla and Missilou, could be classed as #frenchlads. We have seen a significant influx of Players with knowledge and experience of the English leagues. Piergianni, Dearnley, Rowe and McCann have definitely strengthened the team. Borthwick-Jackson and Dieseruvwe have not played enough minutes to be able to assess their impact. And as for N’Guessan well your guess is as good as mine...

Wheater, Woods, and Mills are good for this level and all coped well on Saturday. Smith has gone off the boil recently but has been our standout forward.

The bench also contained Nepomuceno, Branger-Engone and De La Paz and the highly skilled but mercurial talent that is  Maouche. Segbe seems to have disappeared for the moment maybe for good.

As for Dino’s tactical awareness... I’m still undecided. 

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Segbe seems to have disappeared for the moment maybe for good.

He's been transfer listed along with Iacovitti, so I doubt we'll see either of them again. Fortunately. Just need a National League outfit to take them off our hands.

Archived