30 Years ago today...

2 things stand out in my memory.   

Big Joe sent Marshall from centre half to centre forward at 0-0 ( and I remember being very concerned at 3-0 that he should send him back to protect what we had got)

at at the time we were only allowed to name 2 subs ( I think) and for the second leg BigJoe named a keeper as one of them reckoning that the only way we could lose 7-0 was if keeper got injured. 

17 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I went to the second leg at Upton Park. We were 3-0 down after something like 20-25 mins I think and I remember wondering if we might get away with both keepers on the pitch! 😆

Two of the loudest crowds I'd seen us play at were Upton Park that night and QPR in the 2003 play-off. Not sure we were 0-3 that early myself but every time West Ham attacked us you just had a dreaded feeling they'd score. But think towards the end it was party time in our end as they accepted the game was gone. It was very open up until then though.

14 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I went to the second leg at Upton Park. We were 3-0 down after something like 20-25 mins I think and I remember wondering if we might get away with both keepers on the pitch! 😆

The only cup game home and away I missed that season (there were a lot). I remember nervously pacing up and down listening to the radio commentary. Andy Ritchie on co-commentary telling me everything was going to be OK. 

The closest we came to footballing perfection.

It wasn't perfect , they should have made it 1-1 ...I can still see the ball trickling wide as our players were still celebrating like the fans.

Brady robbed off the ball , Martin sent dizzy by Stitch , Robson bamboozled by Ricky  for the 6th.

Gung ho , non stop attacking football .......my daughter hates me for reminiscing about this era ,suffering 20 years of almost all misery.

7 minutes ago, stargazer said:

It wasn't perfect , they should have made it 1-1 ...I can still see the ball trickling wide as our players were still celebrating like the fans.

Brady robbed off the ball , Martin sent dizzy by Stitch , Robson bamboozled by Ricky  for the 6th.

Gung ho , non stop attacking football .......my daughter hates me for reminiscing about this era ,suffering 20 years of almost all misery.

Holden made Robson look like a dog on lino 

29 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Well I got that wrong, having now seen Glossop's video! It was the second half before we went 3-0 down, weird how your mind plays tricks!

To be fair I watched that game surrounded by some very large West Ham fans, it wasn't just the result I was worried about! 

Didnt Julian Dicks smack one into the bar at 3-0 with about 20 minutes left?

I'd also forgotten west ham had sacked Macari and appointed Billy Bonds between the 2 games.

On YouTube the West Ham matches were followed by the Everton FA Cup match and the two replays. Andy Ritchie had already scored 24 goals that season. Yes 24!!!!
Imagine us having a player who’d scored that many goals by February!

What the hell has happened to us?!?! 😡😡

40 minutes ago, Gozza said:

I went to the second leg too & remember the atmosphere feeling very threatening & West Ham fans none too welcoming!

Yep watching that in the home end was interesting.

Great seeing the packed away end celebrating at FT though.

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

To be fair I watched that game surrounded by some very large West Ham fans, it wasn't just the result I was worried about! 

1 hour ago, Gozza said:

I went to the second leg too & remember the atmosphere feeling very threatening & West Ham fans none too welcoming!

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Yep watching that in the home end was interesting.

I must have been to over 300 away games following Latics over the years and I can only recall a handful of occasions when I have actually felt in fear of getting a good kicking from the opposition fans. This was definitely one of them - and what struck me was that the aggression came from blokes of all ages not just the boot boys. 

A few years earlier I had gone with a  brummie mate of mine to watch Birmingham play at West Ham. The Away end was sold out so we paid to go in down one side. Somehow we ended up in the notorious ‘chicken run’  with the hammers finest... Birmingham won the game 2-1 and my bluenose buddy simply refused to speak throughout the entire 90 minutes.

Happy days...👀

5 hours ago, Gozza said:

I was staying with a mate who lived fifteen minutes away.  I got herded onto a tube to Euston and was grateful..

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I must have been to over 300 away games following Latics over the years and I can only recall a handful of occasions when I have actually felt in fear of getting a good kicking from the opposition fans. This was definitely one of them - and what struck me was that the aggression came from blokes of all ages not just the boot boys. 

A few years earlier I had gone with a  brummie mate of mine to watch Birmingham play at West Ham. The Away end was sold out so we paid to go in down one side. Somehow we ended up in the notorious ‘chicken run’  with the hammers finest... Birmingham won the game 2-1 and my bluenose buddy simply refused to speak throughout the entire 90 minutes.

Happy days...👀

I wasn't at the game at West Ham, but I would say the only game supporting us where I actually was worried for my safety, was the Leeds play off leg at Elland Road, hated them sheep shaggers ever since. 

What memories! Being valentines I was in a restaurant with my then girlfriend and with 20 minutes to go I pretended to go to the gents, went out to a payphone and dialled clubcall with a few 10p pieces (anyone under 40 can get their parents to explain that bit 😊

After a few moments the live commentary kicks in "... and Palmer scores and it's Oldham" 5th!!!"

My girlfriend asked if I was always that happy after going to the gents 😂 

That was 30 years ago tonight, wow! 

I'm still in love with the same team..... and the same girl 😁

one of the best days ever had an exam that morning at work on to the game remember turning to my dad when Ricky smashed number four and him saying finaly were going to Wembley. got to work in the morning and totally missed I'd got 99% in my exam meaning  I didnt have to do the last one I was buzzing that  much 

We were stood in the Lookers Stand paddock near to the RRE and watched the best game ever.What a team.Doesn't seem like 30 years ago. ..how time flies.Sad to say but I still blame Mark Hughes for our decline and bad times at Wembley in the FA cup and in the Littlewoods final Forests keeper...,the flying pig for saving Palmers header 

11 hours ago, stargazer said:

I reminisce about this era all the time  relived all these games in my mind, even the playoff semi final 2nd leg game against leeds united,that bloody Keith Edwards goal again,  i hated that man growing up.. i guess i have chilled slightly towards him now though.. 

Archived