Newport (H)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well that was most unexpected and welcomed.

When was the last time we scored 5? Peterborough when we turned it around to 5-4? seemed an age ago

Highlight for me was at the 86th minute when a fan behind me shouted out....."you know, I think we can win this...." well we all burst out laughing

Got to love a latics sense of humour. Priceless

Great game.Shame poor crowd but those who braved the cold saw a belter. OK Newport were crap but we played them off the park with our passing and Sylla was my Motm although Danny Rowe brace came close.Our second goal was superb and can't wait to see it again later.Well worked goal.

6 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

As has been said previously Rowe has a good football brain in him and can pick a pass.

It was churlish for some posters to question his pedigree when he didn't score loads in his first few games.  

Sounding pedantic here I know but I think what the majority were questioning was how he was being played rather than his pedigree. 

Today we got the ball to his feet and we reaped the benefits.

absolutely delighted with the lads performance today, showed quality to rise above all the shit around the club at the minute and demolish an opposition. 

Thanks fellas, enjoy your weekend, you may have nigh on 3000 Latics fans cold but very delighted and warm inside

1 hour ago, Flemboy said:

Great game.Shame poor crowd but those who braved the cold saw a belter. OK Newport were crap but we played them off the park with our passing and Sylla was my Motm although Danny Rowe brace came close.Our second goal was superb and can't wait to see it again later.Well worked goal.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, first 20 minutes a bit turgid then we turned on some proper entertainment, much appreciated by the faithful. True to say Newport weren't much of a threat, I credit our defence for being decent all game, whatever happens in the weeks to come, hopefully Pidge remains with the club.

Delighted for Danny Rowe, is a genuine goal threat when provided with chances around the box, looked fitter today, never the quickest but very alert and links play.

Mo Sylla is great for us, works hard and has quality, I chuckled when the Newport lad tried to square up to big Mo.

Zach Dearnley looks better every week, his goal was a peach.

Strange feeling at BP before the game, thought the turnout would be even lower, the team did us proud today amidst the soap opera which plays out between owner and landlord.

Please sort this out AL and Brassbank, we are long past caring who is right or wrong, just do the right thing by Friday.

48 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Has anyone else noticed Dearnley and Rowe are rarely caught offside, signs of a good complimentary  partnership blooming.

Hope it's not broken up with administration.

Yes look like a very good pairing.. One thing i do like about Rowe dropping deep , he does create space behind him..Very intelligent player.. 

4 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

And there are still people on here comparing Sylla to Fane.

He admittedly played well yesterday. However he still went on 4-5 runs that lead to nothing, fans still cheered when he ran down the right wing and it went out for a newport goal kick and I will never understand this. But he was also massively helped by McCann who was sensational and backs up my point that for me a holding mid shouldn’t have to run around and make recover tackles if he can pass and position themselves correctly. McCann was untouchable yesterday. 

I will add I think Sylla and McCann compliment each other and are the best CM partnership we have. 

39 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He admittedly played well yesterday. However he still went on 4-5 runs that lead to nothing, fans still cheered when he ran down the right wing and it went out for a newport goal kick and I will never understand this. But he was also massively helped by McCann who was sensational and backs up my point that for me a holding mid shouldn’t have to run around and make recover tackles if he can pass and position themselves correctly. McCann was untouchable yesterday. 

I will add I think Sylla and McCann compliment each other and are the best CM partnership we have. 

The one thing Sylla definitely does is get the crowd going.

Whether it's a tackle or embarking on one of those "headless chicken" runs that invariably lead to nothing he's good for morale, for team and supporters.  

43 minutes ago, Canada_latic said:

Any abuse or chants?  Or were they under security guard?

Could the Athleticos singing 'Barry Owen is a wanker' and there were a few banners. Apparently Barry was eager to get some fans kicked out but that was before I got there. 

Archived