@ Macclesfield – D 1-1
@ Stevenage – D 0-0
@ Salford – D 1-1
@ Crewe – L 2-1
@ Exeter – L 5-1
@ Leyton Orient – D 2-2
@ Crawley – L 3-0

Total P-14 W-2 D-5 L-7 GF-10 GA-27 GD=-17 Points - 11

You can't do anything at any football level if your away record is as bad as that. We are conceding nearly 2 goals a game. 

Given that his away record last season at Stevenage was P-23 W-8 D-7 L-8 Points - 31. I don't necessarily think it's all down to Dino but there is clearly an issue. It needs sorting for next season if AL is to get his 'Championship in 5 years' that he targeted a while ago. 

For comparison Bandied's record was P-5 W-1 D-2 L-2 Points - 5 GF - 6 GA- 9 GD= - 3

If the rumours are true then for a football agent to approve Mills' contract is daft. We presumably ended up with 2 midfielders playing in defence today due to not having any defenders on the bench. Presumably due to not wanting to pick 1 defender and other injuries. The fact that one of those midfielders has been one of the worst players to play for us this season says it all. 

Yeah but rude you have got to give big arms and the other muppets credit for them mighty 3 wins, ignore all the other dickens we have had to put up with all through the season!!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More of the same next season I reckon, the odd good win amongst mainly resounding losses and hard fought draws.

Even if this "deal in principle" goes ahead to buy the ground, what then? surely no room for investment on the pitch aswell.

We were Ok first half. Should have been 2 up early on and paid the price with an embarrassing 2nd half performance from both manager and players.

La Paz 6  had nothing to do really except save 3 shots...and didn't. However none were really his fault.

Hammer 5 was poor against their number 13 at right back, and when covering at centre half was no better. Even his long throws were aimless

Wheater 6 pretty solid till he went off. Missed when not on the field

Piergianni 7 probably our best player. Solid and committed. Played until the end. Must sign for next season

Borthwick Jackson 4 looked totally disinterested from the start and gave the ball away virtually every time he had it. As poor a full back performance as I have seen in a while

Nepo 6 some good stuff in the first half and looked dangerous  but poor 2nd. Needs to get the ball over earlier. Too many times gets in good positions to cross the ball and doesn't. To blame for first goal  as instead of crossing the ball at a set piece lost possession with our 2 centre backs in the Crawley box.

McCann 5 not creative enough for me. Some neat square passes but created nothing that I can remember. 

Sylla 6 Ok and worked hard as usual. Needed more support in midfield. Pen he gave away was clumsy but caused initially by shit defending by Hamer I think so not to blame for me

Smith 6 dangerous at times but needs to get his head up when in good positions and pass the ball instead of trying to do it all himself. 2nd goal his fault. Shot from 30yds gave ball away and didn't work hard enough to get the ball back.

Rowe 5 another who looked disinterested today and didn't work hard enough for me. Hardly broke sweat which is disappointing

Zac 5 not at his best today. Missed a couple of really good chances early on and then didn't get any decent service until subbed.

Subs

NGuessan 5 never a full back. Looked uncomfortable there from the start

Branger and Maouche not really given a chance to get into the game.

Dino 4 Poor tactically playing pretty much 2 in midfield with no creativity. Was clear early in 2nd half that Missi was needed in midfield and we needed someone to hold the ball up up front and as a target man.

Hadn't a clue it seemed how to change things. Not the man for next season for me.

Fans 6 poor turnout really with less than 200 and a shit set up so no atmosphere. Players 2nd half gave us nothing to shout about apart from their totally inept performance. 

Overall deserved what we got and it shows statistics can blur what really happened in the game. We were clueless!!

Have to agree with your ratings although I thought Pidge footwork was poor and he gave it away a lot, i would have marked him a 6, however workrate was exemplary.

Worst man on the pitch was Borthwick-Jackson just could not run and was totally disinterested, very poor and tracking back was if he had to....

Mouache gave it away too easily and was trying to be the star .... he failed...miserably. Dino only a 3 , poor subs and tactically inept.

11 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

I agree that it’s inconsistent but why is that necessarily the managers fault? He named an unchanged team and an unchanged formation from the last match that the same players won 5-0. He doesn’t miss the chances or play poor passes. The players must achieve their own consistency. Last week they looked really good, as they did against Mansfield and Bradford. Don’t remember the manager getting much praise for those performances but when we lose it’s down to him? 

Think about it Gary.   A player is responsible for his own performance. He may be good one match and poor the next, but that leaves 10 playing well. Oldham as a team, should still give a good account of themselves. 

If they all perform badly as a team (losing 3:0),  that is due to preparation, tactics, morale and team selection, ie, the manager.

You may argue that interference from above didn’t help with team selection, and I would agree with you!

10 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Dino's away record since he became manager

You can't do anything at any football level if your away record is as bad as that. We are conceding nearly 2 goals a game. 

If the rumours are true then for a football agent to approve Mills' contract is daft. We presumably ended up with 2 midfielders playing in defence today due to not having any defenders on the bench. Presumably due to not wanting to pick 1 defender and other injuries. The fact that one of those midfielders has been one of the worst players to play for us this season says it all. 

This is down to our biggest issues being at the back.  

No team starting with the likes of Iacovitti, Hamer, CBJ or de la Paz is going to frustrate a home side for 90 minutes.  Not outside non league, anyway.  

Playing 4-5-1 earlier in the season just made things worse. You can't play to contain when every other pass out of defence goes straight to the opposition, or one of them can't be bothered tracking back. 

Agree the situation with Mills is utterly pathetic, if true.  

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

Think about it Gary.   A player is responsible for his own performance. He may be good one match and poor the next, but that leaves 10 playing well. Oldham as a team, should still give a good account of themselves. 

If they all perform badly as a team (losing 3:0),  that is due to preparation, tactics, morale and team selection, ie, the manager.

You may argue that interference from above didn’t help with team selection, and I would agree with you!

No thats down to players themselves if one of their teammates is having a bad game its not an excuse for the others to down tools.

How many managers do we have to go through?

Some players in this squad are on their 4th and 5th manager and still haven't found consistent form under any of them.

The players themselves have to take some (not all) of the responsibility.

14 hours ago, mickjagger said:

Season is over already who ever owns the club next season will put in a place a well thought out player recruitment for next season to improve the starting eleven & subs, improve quality rather than numbers like this season.

Off the field hopefully codswallop & shenanigans will stop so the fans have some thing to look forward to again KTF

I admire your optimism as much as your music, Mick, and will have a pint of whatever you're drinking.

I think Popeye, as Singe calls him, has had long enough and shows no sign of being able to improve this group of players. If Mills really is being denied a place on financial grounds that's a disgrace and speaks volumes about the Chuckle Brothers' lack of integrity towards the fans. 

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

To say he's not exactly been a nailed on starter Mills must be pleased that he's suddenly morphed into Paolo Maldini.

Maybe so but to not have him available as an option when the current right back is struggling for form is appalling mismanagement.

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Maybe so but to not have him available as an option when the current right back is struggling for form is appalling mismanagement.

If he's not in the plans for next season then I can at least understand the reasoning.

31 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If he's not in the plans for next season then I can at least understand the reasoning.

But hopefully several others who are currently playing are not in the plans for next season 

4 hours ago, Pidge said:

But we played well in the first half only missed chances and lack of concentration let Crawley back in it.

The problem appears to be a  lack of willingness to cover and mark opponents when they hit us on the break.

Apart from Pidge too many don't put their bodies on the line enough in blocking shots, or close wide men down quick enough.  

Something that needs to be addressed IMO.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Yes, perhaps Fage might have been the more like for like change.

The obvious move would have been to put Nepo in the rb position, then any one of the subs could have played higher up the pitch. 

12 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Sylla 6 Ok and worked hard as usual. Needed more support in midfield. Pen he gave away was clumsy but caused initially by shit defending by Hamer I think so not to blame for me

I don't normally comment on other's player ratings when I didn't go to the game and they did. 

Having said that based on the highlights Sylla is at fault for their first goal. He's 30 yards away from the goalscorer (#13) when he should be a lot closer (and you can hear someone, presumably Dino yelling at him). This is having been attracted to the ball leaving their #13 with even more space. 

Then for what should have been quite an easy step-up to play offside, preventing the very easy pass to the goalscorer he doesn't get close enough to the goalscorer or step up. Because he was so out of position he doesn't take the right angle to prevent the pass or step up or go towards their #13. 

It's shocking defending. 

15 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Dino's away record since he became manager

@ Carlisle – L 1-0
@ Mansfield – L 6-1
@ Port Vale – D 0-0
@ Newport - W 0-1
@ Swindon – L 2-0
@ Morecambe – W 1-2
@ Cheltenham – L 3-0
@ Macclesfield – D 1-1
@ Stevenage – D 0-0
@ Salford – D 1-1
@ Crewe – L 2-1
@ Exeter – L 5-1
@ Leyton Orient – D 2-2
@ Crawley – L 3-0

Total P-14 W-2 D-5 L-7 GF-10 GA-27 GD=-17 Points - 11

Given that his away record last season at Stevenage was P-23 W-8 D-7 L-8 Points - 31. I don't necessarily think it's all down to Dino but there is clearly an issue. It needs sorting for next season if AL is to get his 'Championship in 5 years' that he targeted a while ago. 

For comparison Bandied's record was P-5 W-1 D-2 L-2 Points - 5 GF - 6 GA- 9 GD= - 3

This season I have been much less likely to travel than in previous seasons because I am afraid I have been caught up in the general malaise around the club and am no longer prepared to blindly follow a completely haphazard and random team selection/ leaderless outfit masquerading as a professional football club.

I still wish them well and want them to win but I cannot drum up the necessary enthusiasm to travel all round the country these days - will happily return to that state of mind once the club has had a clean sweep of both this and the previous owners, was hoping it would have been this Friday gone but not so am keeping my powder dry so to speak.

Anyway I digress - in such an abysmal up and down season I actually have a very good away record watching the not-so supers

(1) Carlisle                      L0-1 - dogshit

(2) Port Vale                   D0-0 - tour of the great lakes of Staffordshire, ropey game, nearly as hard getting home as getting there 

(3) Newport                    W1-0 - £29 return on train, professional display, poor game, well deserved win; well impressed by Newport in-ground facility for away fans and helpful stewards(?) 

(4) Morecambe              W2-1 - Boxing Day football fix, low OAFC turnout, barely deserved 3 points but gladly accepted

(5) Macc                          D1-1 - seduced by pub haven that it Macc although not as many pubs open as in previous years, crap game, nearly won but they got late equaliser

(6) Salford                       D1-1 - dreadful first 70 mins but decent finish by Rowe and much better after the Pyros, take a point so not had double done by plastics

(7) Orient                         D2-2  -low quality but quite entertaining and always enjoy a trip to the Os

My league record away

P7   W2 D 4 L1 F7 A6

(8) Gateshead              FAC W2-1 - Battered by non-leaguers but 2 good finishes and Zeus inspired victory (doesn't sound right)

Was all up for going to last 4 away games if AL&MO had gone, will still travel if things take a turn for worst if we lose -12 in admin

In such a wretched away season, so glad I have missed the constant cave-ins       

6 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

This is down to our biggest issues being at the back.  

No team starting with the likes of Iacovitti, Hamer, CBJ or de la Paz is going to frustrate a home side for 90 minutes.  Not outside non league, anyway.    

Although boycotting since early season, the one game I have seen (due to a promise made to someone) was at Fleetwood away in the mickey mouse cup when their second string massacred us. The Fleetwood fan I was with could not believe how bad we were. Lacovitti and Hamer, in particular, were utterly dreadful and the only player that looked like a footballer capable of progressing us beyond our current level was the loanee, Smith.

I think you are right to identify our biggest issues as being at the back but, generally, we are where we are due to the whole squad being mediocre.

The happy clappers (like those cheering and clapping Hamer at Fleetwood, deep into the second half, when he was about to take one of his deadly long throws!) keep trotting out the same KTF stuff but there is no sign of us being anything other than mediocre in an awful division.

On 3/5/2020 at 7:52 PM, wiseowl said:

That's me done with Latics then. The worst possible outcome in my eyes was exactly this.

Over and out. Thanks for the memories.

Yet here we find you again-seems like you just can't keep away despite your earlier promise above. Nevertheless it contains your usual positivity.

48 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

The happy clappers (like those cheering and clapping Hamer at Fleetwood, deep into the second half, when he was about to take one of his deadly long throws!) keep trotting out the same KTF stuff but there is no sign of us being anything other than mediocre in an awful division.

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

I don't normally comment on other's player ratings when I didn't go to the game and they did. 

Having said that based on the highlights Sylla is at fault for their first goal. He's 30 yards away from the goalscorer (#13) when he should be a lot closer (and you can hear someone, presumably Dino yelling at him). This is having been attracted to the ball leaving their #13 with even more space. 

Then for what should have been quite an easy step-up to play offside, preventing the very easy pass to the goalscorer he doesn't get close enough to the goalscorer or step up. Because he was so out of position he doesn't take the right angle to prevent the pass or step up or go towards their #13. 

It's shocking defending. 

Trust me if you were at the game you would have seen there were far worse performers. We know he's no superstar but he did ok generally which is not something you could say about half the team yesterday. 

They scored because we fucked up an attacking free kick when both our centre halves were in Crawleys 6 yard box.

If we get the ball into their area as planned then they don't score. Simple as that.

Archived