Official COVID-19 megathread

2 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Can I try a bit of amateur empirical research on the understanding of the “ Rule of 6 “ which Mr Hancock says is simple and straightforward

what are colleagues understanding of the scenario below?

i can go to the pub with 5 mates ( if I had 5!!)....so far so good.  Can 1 of the group then leave after half an hour and go to another pub and meet with a different set of 5 mates ?

Not easy is it? People should as always use heir common sense and not do things like that. This is exactly why the virus is spreading, and if people don't behave responsibly, pubs and restaurants will be closed again as they have been in Bolton. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Not easy is it? People should as always use heir common sense and not do things like that. This is exactly why the virus is spreading, and if people don't behave responsibly, pubs and restaurants will be closed again as they have been in Bolton. 

If the government want to avoid people exploiting loopholes they'd be better off not doing it themselves.

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If the government want to avoid people exploiting loopholes they'd be better off not doing it themselves.

Yeah, I think if Dominic Cummings had stuck his head in a fire, I'd have probably done the same...

There was a new testing kit on Sky news this morning, which gives results in 20 seconds. If it passes all he tests, they were saying it could be used at sporting events, concerts, theatres etc. What they didn't say, was what happens if someone tests positive. How do they get home? How many others have they been in contact with on their way to said event? These tests could be used at railway stations, but I don't think they could be used on buses or trams.

30 minutes ago, al_bro said:

There was a new testing kit on Sky news this morning, which gives results in 20 seconds. If it passes all he tests, they were saying it could be used at sporting events, concerts, theatres etc. What they didn't say, was what happens if someone tests positive. How do they get home? How many others have they been in contact with on their way to said event? These tests could be used at railway stations, but I don't think they could be used on buses or trams.

.....and who pays for them at league 2 grounds ?

5 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Can I try a bit of amateur empirical research on the understanding of the “ Rule of 6 “ which Mr Hancock says is simple and straightforward

what are colleagues understanding of the scenario below?

i can go to the pub with 5 mates ( if I had 5!!)....so far so good.  Can 1 of the group then leave after half an hour and go to another pub and meet with a different set of 5 mates ?

Not sure about elsewhere, but in Oldham, you’re not supposed to mix with anyone from other households anywhere, inside or out. So you shouldn’t be meeting your 5 mates unless you live with them.

And if you do go to a pub and ‘happen to run into’ (chortle 🙄 - seen this trotted out a lot) those 5 mates, you should stay 2m away from them. 

Same with your your second set of mates. 

49 minutes ago, maddog said:

Not sure about elsewhere, but in Oldham, you’re not supposed to mix with anyone from other households anywhere, inside or out. So you shouldn’t be meeting your 5 mates unless you live with them.

And if you do go to a pub and ‘happen to run into’ (chortle 🙄 - seen this trotted out a lot) those 5 mates, you should stay 2m away from them. 

This is the issue I have. Everyone piss and moans about the government opening things up. They have, but if people actually followed the rules when out and about it would help! 

5 hours ago, al_bro said:

Yep, just the odd £100bn needed and some technology that doesn't exist yet. 

3 hours ago, maddog said:

Absolutely this. My mates who are working for Oldham Council are spitting feathers about the govt’s omission regarding local areas already under tighter restrictions.  It has caused untold confusion, not to mention massive waste of resources this week.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Let's be honest, the lack of technology is irrelevant. The 100bn is what they are going to shift to their friends/selves. This is a sham of a government that is stealing thousands from every man, woman and child. It is their only aim in this. It is utterly shameless.

19 hours ago, al_bro said:

And what about the time it would take to test 80,000 trying to get into Wembley?

19 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Some of technology that doesn't exist for COVID exists for other viruses (such as HIV). The issue is adapting that pre-existing technology to work for COVID is not easy, and will be made more difficult if reports of different strains of COVID existing are accurate. 

The £100bn (roughly 80 to 90% of the NHS's total budget) will be the stopping block, unless Jeff Bevos gets involved. 

On 9/10/2020 at 4:28 PM, al_bro said:

Who is going to administer these tests, who is going to train the thousands needed to administer the tests (or teach people to self-administer). 

I don't think the test will be complicated and some will be used to doing what's needed already. But there's lots of different factors. 

What's a supermarket going to do if someone refuses to take a test, they don't do much about people not wearing masks. 

Entertainment venues can easily refuse entry, some other public places can't. 

The supermarket non wearing of masks seems much more prevalent round here, in the past month I have spent time in Northumberland and the Tamworth area, the supermarkets there seem quite strict with mask wearing. Having said that Im not being critical of those working in supermarkets for not enforcing it, they have a rough enough time at work without confronting ignorant people. 

14 minutes ago, disjointed said:

The supermarket non wearing of masks seems much more prevalent round here, in the past month I have spent time in Northumberland and the Tamworth area, the supermarkets there seem quite strict with mask wearing. Having said that Im not being critical of those working in supermarkets for not enforcing it, they have a rough enough time at work without confronting ignorant people. 

Yep having spent time in the SW over the past fortnight the mask-wearing is noticeably more prevalent in other bits of the country. 

24 minutes ago, disjointed said:

To be fair not everyone who isn’t wearing one is ignorant - some are exempt 

36 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Who is going to administer these tests, who is going to train the thousands needed to administer the tests (or teach people to self-administer). 

I don't think the test will be complicated and some will be used to doing what's needed already. But there's lots of different factors. 

What's a supermarket going to do if someone refuses to take a test, they don't do much about people not wearing masks. 

Entertainment venues can easily refuse entry, some other public places can't. 

The technology is already there. They are self administered. All that is needed is someone handing out a swab and telling the person being tested to wipe it around the back of their mouth. The swab is then put in a small plastic container, turned around a few times and a cap is put on. The container is then popped into a small hole in a box, where it is scanned by ultraviolet light when the start button is pressed. After 20 seconds the machine displays no virus in green. Or, I guess virus found in red (they didn't show a positive result). These machines are currently being tested at Heathrow. It will take time to scale manufacturing up, but a company in Hartlepool is all set to do that.

29 minutes ago, al_bro said:

The cases in Oldham have rocketed again the past few days. There were 40 on the 9th., 50 on the 10th. and 44 again today. Back in the middle of July it was down to 3 or 4.

For it to a fair analysis we should get given a percentage of positive results compared to number of people tested.  More people are being tested positive but at the same time more people than ever are getting tested.  

39 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

To be fair not everyone who isn’t wearing one is ignorant - some are exempt 

I understand that, it just may be that there are more exemptions round here than anywhere else in the country. But the cynic in me suggests otherwise. 

Archived