Official COVID-19 megathread

38 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Nobody, whatever their age, should be seen as expendable.

Common sense? Well, in a nutshell, follow the rules. We all know we should. Yes, it's been a very trying time, but all countries are struggling to a greater or lesser degree with this new virus and will do until we have a vaccine. In the meantime we have to protect the economy as much as possible while sheltering the vulnerable and providing non-covid health care.

I do think that return to work was rushed. Schools first, then offices etc, then pubs/restaurants in an ideal world. On the other hand Sweden doesn't seem to have done terribly badly, with no lockdown at all, though it's said that as a society they are much more self-disciplined and voluntarily isolated anyway.

Sweden benefitted from some fake news push.
In the deaths per million population, to compare fairly and a rolling 7 day average to take into account weekend under reporting it oftenw as even above the UK, and much higher than Denmark & Norway, and Italy as a benchmark

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average?yScale=log&time=2020-04-06..latest&country=ITA~GBR~SWE~NOR~DNK

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry had a wine, my point was that this isn't going away anytime soon. Shield the elderly and make sensible choices, we cant continue to shut down the world every 3 months. We need to be looking at a  new way of living. I havent been in my parents house since march, they have only seen my children over a fence since then. My mum has developed extreme anixety. Something needs to change, the younger who are less at risk need to carry on. The older or weaker immuned have to make a choice, thier choice. I dont think it healthy to say you have to stay in. It should be there choice, its maybe easy for me to say with limited risk... but if I was getting on I dont think I would want to spend my last few years away from friends and family stuck behind 4 walls.

The partial lockdown approach ensures that herd immunity even if possible will take much longer to evolve, it is what would naturally happen, but Boris has confirmed that the strategy is based on suppressing the virus until a vaccine can be developed.

We know from Influenza that both herd immunity & vaccination programs do not prevent deaths when a virus mutates and forms many different strains.  It is not this simplistic as the really nasty flu viruses often arise when they jump from species to species.

There is no reason to believe that Covid is any different.  Indeed the strain that hit Europe and then North America was a more aggressive version of the escapee in Wuhan.  It is the mutation of the virus that allows them to tract the source of infection and one mutation was to allow it easier access through our cell membranes hence more aggressive.

So to coin a phrase Boris has been advised to put all his eggs in one basket.  If vaccination does help it will be a continuous 'fight' to get it right because vaccination itself helps different strains to emerge and become dominant (survival of the fittest of any mutation that the vaccine does not provide immunity from).

I spent 10 years of my working life dealing with pharmaceutical businesses.  I had to read a great deal and the chances of a safe effective vaccine being available this year are negligible.  The chance that one will be available next year are unlikely.

Yes the Boris approach will result in fewer deaths from Covid but has already resulted in some 20k excess deaths over and above those attributed to Covid (anyone who had a positive test in the 28 days before they died).  My view is that the damage being done to society, the destruction of our economy and way of life and the deflection of the NHS away from the work it was already doing so well will see a steady rise in the excess deaths that can't be attributed to Covid.

There is another way.

18 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Just heard what Dyche said today..... what an absolute c++t... basically saying Premier league clubs should not help lower league teams and used the analogy of a successful hedge fund being forced to help an unsuccessful one!! Actually, hedge funds and the Premier league are a similar breed 

I feckin hate the Premier league and everything it's done to try and destroy the amazing football pyramid we have in this country but to hear the manager of a club like Burnley who are punching above their weight talk like that is especially galling

Yes I thought the same when I heard Dyche's comments, I'd previously liked him but that comparison is just ridiculous. A football club is nothing like a hedge-fund, it's part of the community and integral in the lives of the fans. I'm old enough to remember Burnley nearly dropping out of the the pyramid back in the 80's, and now they have someone like Dyche at the helm spouting that sort of nonsense. Lets hope they go the same way as Bolton have and become one of these 'unsuccessful' clubs once again.

23 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

This! If you are vulnerable or worried stay at home and let the rest carry on with life 

Someone can be worried and/or vulnerable but not be able to afford staying at home and perhaps lose their job because, let's face it, employers are struggling too and cannot afford to pay wages for non-attendance with the lack of production alongside it. The Government cannot possibly prop-up the economy to the extent they have been doing, if at all. It is literally a no-win situation for many and not just here but the World over.

I think the shit storm is just about to go to another level.

Home COVID Test

1.  Pour a large glass of wine, try to smell it.

2.  If you can smell the wine then drink it and see if you can taste it.

3.  If you can taste it and smell it then you don't have COVID.

Last night I did the test 19 times and all were negative, thank god.

Tonight I am going to do the test again, because I woke up this morning with a headache and I feel like I am coming down with something.

5 hours ago, super_blue said:

Haha how an earth would a fan know about this. Prob just seeing Oldham is in local lockdown and adding 2+2 and coming up with 7. 

On 9/22/2020 at 4:41 PM, BP1960 said:

Interesting comment from an Orient fan.

I wonder if our Trust could find out if any Latics players were tested prior to this game.

'I reckon we caught it at Oldham as the players felt ill after that game. There is not regular testing in League 2 so I wouldn’t be surprised if it has spread across the whole league already'.

It's probably connected to the "rumour" that Wheater had COVID-19 to explain his absence from first team. 

There are also going to be false positives. I know in the NFL there were some players and staff from across the country who were all asymptomatic positive, but when they were tested again, were negative. Even more unusual were some regular close contacts of those staff and players were negative. It turns out that the positive tests were all from the same laboratory, I think in New Jersey. 

While the official testing system in the UK isn't like that I don't know about the private testing, which I presume some organisations, including some football clubs are using. 

I'm a little bit surprised there hasn't been more fixtures postponed due to COVID-19 cases, especially at our level. The beginning of flu season is also going to complicate matters. So please get a flu jab if you are eligible, I don't think they are that expensive to get privately either, but you may have to wait to allow those who can get one on NHS to go first. 

2 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

Home COVID Test

1.  Pour a large glass of wine, try to smell it.

2.  If you can smell the wine then drink it and see if you can taste it.

3.  If you can taste it and smell it then you don't have COVID.

Last night I did the test 19 times and all were negative, thank god.

Tonight I am going to do the test again, because I woke up this morning with a headache and I feel like I am coming down with something.

Now I know where my Dad got his bad jokes from. 😀

48 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Someone can be worried and/or vulnerable but not be able to afford staying at home and perhaps lose their job because, let's face it, employers are struggling too and cannot afford to pay wages for non-attendance with the lack of production alongside it. The Government cannot possibly prop-up the economy to the extent they have been doing, if at all. It is literally a no-win situation for many and not just here but the World over.

I think the shit storm is just about to go to another level.

Yes I get that - and I am lucky to work for a company that is supportive of those needing to isolate and also to help as many as they can work from home. Construction business so obviously site staff can’t work from home.  I think the issue that @latics22was raising wasn’t so much from a selfish position but a real one in saying you can not lockdown the country every three months.  We are going to feeling the affects of this for a very very long time and many are going to be out of work. The hospitality world is on its knees - hotels rely on businesses providing weekday trade and the lack of xmas parties this year must be causing some sleepless nights as when I worked in hospitality November to January was literally “kerching”

pf course any deaths are sad and I’m not heartless nor do I think we should just sacrifice the elderly - my grandparents are in their 80s and my grandmother particularly is very ill - I havent seen them since March and COVID has led to my grandmother not getting the treatment she needed - but having said that we are carbon based life forms - we all have to die eventually and of something- we shouldn’t cripple the country to delay that event 

58 minutes ago, singe said:

Lincoln City & Colchster United Chairman have updated their fans, Col U chairman direct to to Boris

https://www.weareimps.com/news/2020/september/200923-update-from-ceo/

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/september/robbies-letter-to-pm/

Good for them. FGR chairman said similar on 5live today

Sadly I'm afraid this government have zero creativity or emotional intelligence and it feels like the "conversation" you try and have with a jobsworth steward or US airport security! 

I think we are fecked

1 hour ago, singe said:

Lincoln City & Colchster United Chairman have updated their fans, Col U chairman direct to to Boris

https://www.weareimps.com/news/2020/september/200923-update-from-ceo/

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/september/robbies-letter-to-pm/

Over a million kids missed school today having just missed 6 months of Education.....anyway enough of that ..what are we going to do about those 92 prvately owned football clubs  One of whom is paying an employee £600k a week!....let the football family look after itself 

4 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Over a million kids missed school today having just missed 6 months of Education.....anyway enough of that ..what are we going to do about those 92 prvately owned football clubs  One of whom is paying an employee £600k a week!....let the football family look after itself 

:blink:
You're not an Oldham fan are you?
The Prem will bail out the 72, but at what cost? B teams?
We could be replaced by Burnley B.

5 minutes ago, singe said:

:blink:
You're not an Oldham fan are you?
The Prem will bail out the 72, but at what cost? B teams?
We could be replaced by Burnley B.

So who do you want to bail out the likes of privately  owned loss making clubs even  in normal times with a fan base the size of 4 average sized secondary schools  ? . ....and as for Burnley B we have survived on other clubs loan players for last 25 years ?

3 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

So who do you want to bail out the likes of privately  owned loss making clubs even  in normal times with a fan base the size of 4 average sized secondary schools  ? . ....and as for Burnley B we have survived on other clubs loan players for last 25 years ?

Aye.  There are 100 priorities before you get to supporting lower league clubs. Things like trying to keep as many people as possible in a job. 

1 hour ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Neither article asks for a bailout. Just to be allowed to continue to operate and plan to reopen like other businesses.
The help will come from the PRem, but allowing fans safely will permit more self determination.

We may have survived with a smattering of loan players, but we have existed on our own. Something that we may not without safe reopening.
FL teams hav been coplely cucked by the Prem, this just re=enforces it.

It's not so much the players,PFA & Prem need to sort that, it's the laundry staff, the pitch guys, media guys, the Community Trust team.

Latest is hibernation tion as part of the rescue.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EioQF1eWAAg8t3S?format=jpg&name=large

2 minutes ago, singe said:

Neither article asks for a bailout. Just to be allowed to continue to operate and plan to reopen like other businesses.
The help will come from the PRem, but allowing fans safely will permit more self determination.

We may have survived with a smattering of loan players, but we have existed on our own. Something that we may not without safe reopening.
FL teams hav been coplely cucked by the Prem, this just re=enforces it.

Latest is hibrnation as part of the rescue.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EioQF1eWAAg8t3S?format=jpg&name=large

Reopen like other businesses....what world are we talking about ?  M and S is deserted, Manchester Airport has shut terminals,taxi firms are stuffed, university lecture theatreScare shut, Greggs is shutting shops, travel agents ? The West End ? The Rep?Emoty trains ! empty buses?  .....and as I said before 1,000,000 kids off school today ....
There is a tsunami of redundancies about 3 weeks away.....but let’s prioritise opening a ground that’s its owner won’t open 25% of......football is not a victim 

2 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Reopen like other businesses....what world are we talking about ?  M and S is deserted, Manchester Airport has shut terminals,taxi firms are stuffed, university lecture theatreScare shut, Greggs is shutting shops, travel agents ? The West End ? The Rep?Emoty trains ! empty buses?  .....and as I said before 1,000,000 kids off school today ....
There is a tsunami of redundancies about 3 weeks away.....but let’s prioritise opening a ground that’s its owner won’t open 25% of......football is not a victim 

I'm not going to take a lecture in redundancies from you, when I could very well be told of my own tommorow. 

Nor of deserted hospitality establishments like my own, in an industry I've worked in for 37 years. 

We cannot allow a Thatcherite cliff edge drop in jobs. Seems like there may be a chink of light from the Chancellor. 

3 minutes ago, singe said:

I'm not going to take a lecture in redundancies from you, when I could very well be told of my own tommorow. 

I sincerely hope you are fine tomorrow and the re-opening of BP ( where the owner has voluntarily shut the best part of it) pales into total insignificance in comparison to your and many others similar circumstances ...that is my point

14 minutes ago, singe said:

Nor of deserted hospitality establishments like my own, in an industry I've worked in for 37 years. 

We cannot allow a Thatcherite cliff edge drop in jobs. Seems like there may be a chink of light from the Chancellor. 

In your edit you have moved a bit from letting people into Latics on Saturday  to a dispute about a 40 year old philosophy.....not really comparable are they ?

8 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

I sincerely hope you are fine tomorrow and the re-opening of BP ( where the owner has voluntarily shut the best part of it) pales into total insignificance in comparison to your and many others similar circumstances ...that is my point

Thank you for the kind words, and I acknowledge there is no way you could have known in any comments

But it is related, I've no problem reopening businesses if it is done safely, or if not possible then support people. 

Not sure if the Chancellors statement will be too late for me, but that's on my employer. 

9 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

BOOOOOORING

Sums up you... the real  and serious debate  around Civid 19, the government’s response , the issue of to what extent it is born out of incompetence or malevolence, the discussion of priorities for action , the issues of redundancies, physical and mental health are not boring......what is totally irrelevant is whether you or 1 get into BP to watch Rowe scoring 25 or 2 in the season.....it matters not a jot and your and my opinion of whether he is any good matters even less.......he is not very good btw

1 hour ago, singe said:

Thank you for the kind words, and I acknowledge there is no way you could have known in any comments

But it is related, I've no problem reopening businesses if it is done safely, or if not possible then support people. 

Not sure if the Chancellors statement will be too late for me, but that's on my employer. 

Best of luck 

Archived