Official COVID-19 megathread

22 hours ago, singe said:

Sweden benefitted from some fake news push.
In the deaths per million population, to compare fairly and a rolling 7 day average to take into account weekend under reporting it oftenw as even above the UK, and much higher than Denmark & Norway, and Italy as a benchmark

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average?yScale=log&time=2020-04-06..latest&country=ITA~GBR~SWE~NOR~DNK

Sweden abandoned their 2m distancing advisory and reverted to the usual 5m.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/23/2020 at 1:23 PM, singe said:

Sweden benefitted from some fake news push.
In the deaths per million population, to compare fairly and a rolling 7 day average to take into account weekend under reporting it oftenw as even above the UK, and much higher than Denmark & Norway, and Italy as a benchmark

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average?yScale=log&time=2020-04-06..latest&country=ITA~GBR~SWE~NOR~DNK

In the latest tables published in the FT today, Sweden is ranked eighth for excess deaths per million of population among countries producing comparable data (UK is 4th, behind Ecuador, Peru and Spain. Worldometers has them 14th for virus deaths per million of population (UK 11th).

The Swedes haven't fared as well as their neighbours Norway and Finland, but their record is far from the worst. Don't know what the "fake news push" is that you're referring to, but the point is that they seem to have possibly found a response without drastic measures for their economy. Time will tell. 

On 9/23/2020 at 1:09 PM, Behind Closed Doors said:

I think over 60s are massively economically active....the grey pound and all that is vital to the economy. We need over 60s out there spending

I don't disagree, though 20-50 year olds are more active/productive in absolute terms and, at the younger end of that age range, need to be given scope to live life to the full as much as can be done in a safe and responsible manner. Working from home, for example is fine if you live in a rural idyll, big garden, good broadband. If you're in your early 20s, trying to make your way in the rat race and living out of a one room bedsit in Docklands, not so much.

39 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I don't disagree, though 20-50 year olds are more active/productive in absolute terms and, at the younger end of that age range, need to be given scope to live life to the full as much as can be done in a safe and responsible manner. Working from home, for example is fine if you live in a rural idyll, big garden, good broadband. If you're in your early 20s, trying to make your way in the rat race and living out of a one room bedsit in Docklands, not so much.

Indeed working from home isn’t all it’s cracked up to be ......I have a young graduate son working in Central London but having to work from his South Wimbledon shared house. Fortunately he has been there a while and has a social sports and work network but like you I feel and fear for those who relocated to London post University last Sept / Oct 

Even worse what do June’ 2020  graduates do?

( PS I am fully aware it is not just these types for whom this is a disaster.)

37 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

In the latest tables published in the FT today, Sweden is ranked eighth for excess deaths per million of population among countries producing comparable data (UK is 4th, behind Ecuador, Peru and Spain. Worldometers has them 14th for virus deaths per million of population (UK 11th).

The Swedes haven't fared as well as their neighbours Norway and Finland, but their record is far from the worst. Don't know what the "fake news push" is that you're referring to, but the point is that they seem to have possibly found a response without drastic measures for their economy. Time will tell. 

It's still one of the highest death rates in the world, top 10%.
It still has social distancing by nature, lack of nightlife, less rejection of authority.

There is stuff to learn from Sweden, as anywhere. A less severe lockdown yes, but would we have abided by it? Maybe.

But they were pushed as the perfect model by certain types, as almost no rstrictions when they had it in place, a utopia, and that is what I was referring to.

55 minutes ago, singe said:

There is stuff to learn from Sweden, as anywhere. A less severe lockdown yes, but would we have abided by it? Maybe.

But they were pushed as the perfect model by certain types, as almost no rstrictions when they had it in place, a utopia, and that is what I was referring to.

I think that collectively, we lack the social responsibility that some other countries seem to be displaying. Especially when we evaluate our leadership and their astonishing lack of understanding that their actions influence others to behave and respond in a similar way.

Similarly, I have struggled to forgive the media on how they have handled this - there is a time for opinion, there is a time for comment - however if you're going to author a potentially influencing opinion piece on medical science, that could be potentially read by millions - then it should be peer reviewed before publication.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I think that collectively, we lack the social responsibility that some other countries seem to be displaying. Especially when we evaluate our leadership and their astonishing lack of understanding that their actions influence others to behave and respond in a similar way.

Similarly, I have struggled to forgive the media on how they have handled this - there is a time for opinion, there is a time for comment - however if you're going to author a potentially influencing opinion piece on medical science, that could be potentially read by millions - then it should be peer reviewed before publication.

Wjat have u done to upset jags? Hes giving u grief on face book.

42 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Wjat have u done to upset jags? Hes giving u grief on face book.

Not done anything, he said he wanted to leave - he left. Now it's somebody else's fault?

I hope he's having a great day otherwise.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:51 PM, Ritchierich said:

Just heard what Dyche said today..... what an absolute c++t... basically saying Premier league clubs should not help lower league teams and used the analogy of a successful hedge fund being forced to help an unsuccessful one!! Actually, hedge funds and the Premier league are a similar breed 

I feckin hate the Premier league and everything it's done to try and destroy the amazing football pyramid we have in this country but to hear the manager of a club like Burnley who are punching above their weight talk like that is especially galling.

The article in todays' i newspaper about the future of EFL clubs is worth a read:

"Accrington Stanley run holiday camps and manage schemes in primary schools that teach the importance of movement and team sport. They organise college education programmes and foundation degrees. They run a disability team and walking football initiatives for the over-60s. They offer adult education programmes to assist people to get back into employment. They help ease loneliness with WhatsApp conversations, online meetings, phone calls and doorstep visits to older people in the local area. They offer free blood pressure checks and collect for food banks."

"For the price of Kai Havertz, Diogo Jota, Nathan Ake and Donny van de Beek, we could secure the future of the EFL. We’re asking the Premier League to save the soul of English football."

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/english-football-is-in-a-state-of-emergency-the-decisions-taken-now-will-impact-the-next-generation-659631

7 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

The article in todays' i newspaper about the future of EFL clubs is worth a read:

"Accrington Stanley run holiday camps and manage schemes in primary schools that teach the importance of movement and team sport. They organise college education programmes and foundation degrees. They run a disability team and walking football initiatives for the over-60s. They offer adult education programmes to assist people to get back into employment. They help ease loneliness with WhatsApp conversations, online meetings, phone calls and doorstep visits to older people in the local area. They offer free blood pressure checks and collect for food banks."

"For the price of Kai Havertz, Diogo Jota, Nathan Ake and Donny van de Beek, we could secure the future of the EFL. We’re asking the Premier League to save the soul of English football."

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/english-football-is-in-a-state-of-emergency-the-decisions-taken-now-will-impact-the-next-generation-659631

I think Accrington Stanley capture everything that is good about the EFL and wish all clubs were run like that, as an integral part of the community. 

I am not in the know but would like to hear which of the above initiatives are offered by Oldham Athletic in whatever guise (Community Trust/ Trust Oldham etc). I can't see that it is beyond us to offer all the above, maybe if we do then it needs publicising quickly to get some good news out there from OAFC     

6 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Sweden has a small population spread over a large country. The big cities like Stockholm haven't faired well at all. Compared with Norway they haven't done very well. England on the other hand has a large population in a small country, with lots of very congested towns and cities. This I think is the major reason we haven't done so well.

I had to go to A&E this morning. Everyone was sat socially distanced and all of a sudden this big chap comes in from a corridor; followed by a nurse, telling him he shouldn't be in here because he had corona. He was short of breath, wheezing and obviously had covid. He completely ignored all the staff who were desperately trying to get him back to the other waiting room. He didn't seem to understand and only wanted to go where he wanted to go. He was a bit big to argue with. I hope no-one caught it off him.

On 9/25/2020 at 3:43 PM, unsworth blue said:

I am not in the know but would like to hear which of the above initiatives are offered by Oldham Athletic in whatever guise (Community Trust/ Trust Oldham etc). I can't see that it is beyond us to offer all the above, maybe if we do then it needs publicising quickly to get some good news out there from OAFC     

Back in the day the Community Trust was winning national awards for the work it did, for whatever that's worth. As you say, these days they could be finding the cure for Covid and that good news would still get lost in the stream of badnews which seems to pour from the depths of BP.

On 9/25/2020 at 3:43 PM, unsworth blue said:

I think Accrington Stanley capture everything that is good about the EFL and wish all clubs were run like that, as an integral part of the community. 

Following the Community Trust on twitter, I know they do the following:

Veterans Project

Shhools programe eg

Primary stars/Schools programme some of the schools listed

https://twitter.com/OfficialOACT/status/1308748272425672705?s=20

Healthy

YouvsTRain

But you far too infrequently see anything on the official website about it. In one way, we're so toxic is that a good thing?

Maybe us as fans can support them individually? retweeting them, posting about them. Such a fantastic team.

43 minutes ago, singe said:

Following the Community Trust on twitter, I know they do the following:

Veterans Project

Shhools programe eg

Primary stars/Schools programme some of the schools listed

https://twitter.com/OfficialOACT/status/1308748272425672705?s=20

Healthy

YouvsTRain

But you far too infrequently see anything on the official website about it. In one way, we're so toxic is that a good thing?

Maybe us as fans can support them individually? retweeting them, posting about them. Such a fantastic team.

I see lots of stuff that Rochdale Community Trust do (and publicise very well) and wonder if Oldham's Community Trust did the same. I was aware of some of these initiatives through someone who used to work for the Trust but as you say, there is nothing/little on the official website to publicise it. 

I think this is the sort of stuff that really needs promotion in these awful days and somehow they might better capture just what Oldham Athletic may really stand for in the Community (I still don't know how the overall Community of Oldham really feel about Latics but can guess) instead of the constant negativity that the owners and leaders of our football club are creating on a weekly basis.    

29 minutes ago, singe said:

Seems the 16,000 "glitch" (nice underplay by the meek media) was caused by Serco/Deloitte using Excel base instead of straight into a database and it ran out of cloumns. How much are they charging for that expertise.

Like how Boris branded the failing testing regime as "NHS" when in fact it's primarily privately driven.

This Government has been surprisingly generous with the public purse during the pandemic but no doubt a large percentage of "our money" has found it's way into the overstuffed coffers of Boris's cronies instead of "our NHS".  

43 minutes ago, singe said:

Seems the 16,000 "glitch" (nice underplay by the meek media) was caused by Serco/Deloitte using Excel base instead of straight into a database and it ran out of cloumns. How much are they charging for that expertise.

I bet the entire thing is built in M$ Power Automate, probably by a BA who was bored and wrote the damn thing during their lunch. 

Archived