Official COVID-19 megathread

6 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Yes but the point is that there was already a schism in the country ...it wasn’t created in 1979

Oh I agree the 70s were quite a decade for political strife. Unmatched until the Brexit vote and its aftermath. 
BTW don’t remember Chesterfield but we played Cambridge in a cup replay on a Wednesday (I think) afternoon in front of about 16,000 after drawing with them at their place in the first ever professional game on a Sunday. We drew the home game too and won a second replay at Forest. I was at all 3. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Oh I agree the 70s were quite a decade for political strife. Unmatched until the Brexit vote and its aftermath. 
BTW don’t remember Chesterfield but we played Cambridge in a cup replay on a Wednesday (I think) afternoon in front of about 16,000 after drawing with them at their place in the first ever professional game on a Sunday. We drew the home game too and won a second replay at Forest. I was at all 3. 

Just now, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Cambridge  sounds right

i also think ...though I might be a million miles off ....that not only were we  the first professional team ( apart from Cambridge too of course) to play on Sunday that we were the first league club to use a sub.....but I would put more than a tanner on it

2 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Cambridge  sounds right

i also think ...though I might be a million miles off ....that not only were we  the first professional team ( apart from Cambridge too of course) to play on Sunday that we were the first league club to use a sub.....but I would put more than a tanner on it

What’s a tanner? 

3 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Cambridge  sounds right

That one’s probably a little before my time 😂

one thing I do remember about the Sunday game was that they couldn’t charge an admission fee on a Sunday so you had to buy an overpriced programme to get in. Wish I still had it! 

1 hour ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Good effort at an exit strategy from a cock up ....full marks 😀

You'd claim you were right because you were talking about Elsie from Coronation Street while we were all talking about Hilda Ogden. 

Another one for the yoof. 

6 hours ago, laticsrblue said:

We can blame the private sector for a lot but not the Excel cock-up, that was down to Public Health England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54423988

True, but I wasn't really pinning it on them more expanding the point about Government expenditure.
The lack of investment in key areas clearly to blame. The fact they werr using outdayted software is so wrong.
THe Government should be leveraging it's budget strength to be on the latest software, efficiencies coming out it.
 I have a number of years experience  working for hospitality in both private hospitals and private operater in the NHS, as well lots of family use of the NHS  and it needs reform and improved effeciency not just throwing money at it.

I work in the NHS and manage my clinical team’s budget. In the last 5 years, our Trust has had to make 10s of millions of savings due to funding cuts. Our team budget has been halved in that time, going from 5 clinicians down to 2 and an unqualified assistant. Access to support from corporate services has also been much reduced due to cuts (IT, HR, recruitment, etc). So we’re being asked to do much much more on much much less. And this has been the experience of everyone I know who works in the NHS. 

The government / people are always banging on about the NHS having money thrown at it. I call bullshit. Where’s it going?

37 minutes ago, maddog said:

...people are always banging on about the NHS having money thrown at it. I call bullshit. Where’s it going?

Some folk believe it because they get shown a graph with big, bold letters on Facebook by their mate from the gym and think it's the truth.

11 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Not sure the world started in 1979....I seem to remember 3 day weeks , unburied dead , mounds of rubbish ,power cuts , Latics playing Chesterfield ( I think) in the cup ( I think)  on a Tuesday afternoon In front of 10,000 .....

What's that got to do with me starting to hate the tories in 1979.

1 hour ago, maddog said:

I work in the NHS and manage my clinical team’s budget. In the last 5 years, our Trust has had to make 10s of millions of savings due to funding cuts. Our team budget has been halved in that time, going from 5 clinicians down to 2 and an unqualified assistant. Access to support from corporate services has also been much reduced due to cuts (IT, HR, recruitment, etc). So we’re being asked to do much much more on much much less. And this has been the experience of everyone I know who works in the NHS. 

The government / people are always banging on about the NHS having money thrown at it. I call bullshit. Where’s it going?

I work for a company with a turnover of around 200,000,000 covering the whole country, we have three on the statutory board of directors 

I took a friend to Preston A and E last year and looked at a poster proudly displayed in the waiting room with photos of their board of directors - all 15 of them - theres were a lot of the money goes

The doctor we saw thought it was laughable too - as he said where were they at 1 in the morning as we were?

Archived