Official COVID-19 megathread

2 hours ago, parigby said:

It's a real dilemma at the moment. I live in the middle of nowhere, with no near neighbours. Daughter lives three hundred miles away, and son in Oz. Nearest shop / supermarket is six miles away and earliest delivery date l can get from any supermarket is three weeks ! I have no choice, despite being seventy three and having a compromised   immune system,  tomorrow l am going to have to go to the shops.

Push The Boundary are arranging shopping, medication etc to be delivered to people who need it. If you are struggling for support please email us and we will see what we can do. 

Mailto: info@pushtheboundary.co.uk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Are you going shopping at the moment?..it's a dilemma for the over 70s whether to stop in or go out with the associated risks.

We'll do our final shop tomorrow, but we're NOT stockpiling. After that, we have a friend in her early 40s who has said she will help out where she can.

I'm housebound and use a wheelchair.  I also live on my own.  I do my food shopping online with Ocado, who tonight have announced a suspension to their delivery service.  I'm not prone to panicking, but this is getting somewhat scary.  I'm OK for 3 or 4 weeks...(I'm used to frozen ready meals).  Beyond then, who knows.  Football really does pale into insignificance, despite the fact that I was rather handily placed in League 2 of the OWTB prediction league.  Drat.  Keep the faith.

My granddaughter has a cough so my daughter is staying at home - she rang 111.  So my wife and I will shop for her as deliveries are not the answer.  We are 67 but don't feel confident that the lack of three years will make much difference.  At least I won't have to queue to get out if the Sainsbury's SmartShop App actually works.  People are mainly to blame but the supermarkets should have responded when they noticed the higher demand, which they would have done in a matter of hours, instead of rubbing their hands together.

My daughter also works for NHS but because they are not testing when you stay at home they lose her for 10 days longer than necessary if the granddaughter just has a cough.

Not easy being in charge but some things are just common sense.

Dino should stay - he isn't going to lose a game for months.

14 minutes ago, Sparkleking said:

I'm housebound and use a wheelchair.  I also live on my own.  I do my food shopping online with Ocado, who tonight have announced a suspension to their delivery service.  I'm not prone to panicking, but this is getting somewhat scary.  I'm OK for 3 or 4 weeks...(I'm used to frozen ready meals).  Beyond then, who knows.  Football really does pale into insignificance, despite the fact that I was rather handily placed in League 2 of the OWTB prediction league.  Drat.  Keep the faith.

Sorry to hear this.  My weekly order is taking 2 & 1/2 weeks and they are not taking any more at the moment.  Another case of letting people order too much and advice to book orders in advance - I didn't think to book an order for 3, 4 & 5 weeks time as well - no wonder they can't cope.  So it is off to Sainsbury's but I'll go after the rush when the shelves are empty to maintain social distancing and to try the SmartShop.

49 minutes ago, Sparkleking said:

Sainsburys are prioritising those with disabilities and over 70s deliveries. Maybe you could open an account with them?

Just to add a little bit of balance. Out of the known/tested coronavirus cases worldwide, 39% of people (circa 86,000) have already fully recovered with no ill effects. Another 54% (circa 120,000) have mild symptoms and are well on the way to recovery. Those percentages added together gives 93%.

It's not something highlighted by the media very often.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Just to add a little bit of balance. Out of the known/tested coronavirus cases worldwide, 39% of people (circa 86,000) have already fully recovered with no ill effects. Another 54% (circa 120,000) have mild symptoms and are well on the way to recovery. Those percentages added together gives 93%.

It's not something highlighted by the media very often.

I think we're all a bit more worried about the other 7%.

As has been said previously the measures taken are to spread the numbers affected to give the NHS a fighting chance.

The "I'll be alright, Jack", "head-in-the-sanders" and "stock-pilers" aren't making it easier for the rest of the population, however paranoid we may be ! 

21 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

There’s a fairly simple response to panic buying, a sort of reverse buy one get one free offer. 

Buy 1x 16 pack of toilet roll for a fiver, buy 2 it’s 15 quid, buy 3 it’s 45 quid etc etc

panic buying ended overnight. 

Good idea but it is discriminating against the mathematically challenged.

23 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

There’s a fairly simple response to panic buying, a sort of reverse buy one get one free offer. 

Buy 1x 16 pack of toilet roll for a fiver, buy 2 it’s 15 quid, buy 3 it’s 45 quid etc etc

" I'll wipe my arse as often as I like ! - LOADSAMONEY !! " 🤑

On 3/15/2020 at 9:27 PM, rudemedic said:

Actually the 2014/15 flu was unusual. If it was normal you'd have used a more recent year. 

28,000 deaths over 6 months (probably more like 8 or 9). Is 153 deaths/day.  

Hi rude - I deliberately chose 2014/15 because, as you say, it was a particularly bad year for flu deaths. Over 28,000 dead in the UK and yet nobody really heard anything about it and there was certainly no panic!

In light of the facts as they stand, my brain simply cannot understand the current hysteria, doom, gloom and despondency. Normally, every day, around 1500 to 1600 people die in this country. So far, I think we've had 108 deaths from coronavirus. We've all heard from serious political and medical commentators that they hope to contain the death toll at around 20,000 here (and I accept they state that will be a reduced because of the measures they are taking). So, in light of that, it means the numbers of people who die might not actually be as bad as a "bad flu year" (e.g. 14/15).

So why the completely irrational and over the top reaction from the media, huge swathes of the public etc.?

It's a serious question, I`m not having a go at anyone, I just can't fathom it (and I also appreciate all death is sad, I`m just trying to provide context regarding numbers).

I suspect the current reprehensible and completely OTT behaviour we are currently seeing from a large % of the population has its seeds in this age of social media and fake news. Too many thickos believe whatever is being tweeted, put on facebook or whatever, no matter how outlandish. In a cafe in Milnrow yesterday (not a pub mcfluff) I heard someone saying that "they are dropping like flies in London" and someone else said "if you can hold your breath for 10 seconds and not have any stabbing pains in your chest, you've not got coronavirus". They looked at me quite strange when I started laughing to myself and then challenged them politely on the bollocks they were spouting.

8 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Hi rude - I deliberately chose 2014/15 because, as you say, it was a particularly bad year for flu deaths. Over 28,000 dead in the UK and yet nobody really heard anything about it and there was certainly no panic!

In light of the facts as they stand, my brain simply cannot understand the current hysteria, doom, gloom and despondency. Normally, every day, around 1500 to 1600 people die in this country. So far, I think we've had 108 deaths from coronavirus. We've all heard from serious political and medical commentators that they hope to contain the death toll at around 20,000 here (and I accept they state that will be a reduced because of the measures they are taking). So, in light of that, it means the numbers of people who die might not actually be as bad as a "bad flu year" (e.g. 14/15).

So why the completely irrational and over the top reaction from the media, huge swathes of the public etc.?

It's a serious question, I`m not having a go at anyone, I just can't fathom it (and I also appreciate all death is sad, I`m just trying to provide context regarding numbers).

This is where I keep finding myself.

Is there something else they're not telling us? 

It's awful, and will be awful, for anybody who loses a loved one (I've got a few likely candidates in my family) but, the stats so far, and even the estimated stats, don't seem bad enough to warrant what's going on. 

That said, they can stop people dying from this and have a duty to. They can't do the same with flu, suicide, cancer etc....

As far as I understand it, in Italy there aren't enough ventilators available and doctors are having to choose who gets one and who dies.  Does that happen with the flu?

Also, aren't the current forecast deaths based on there being a widespread global lockdown of sorts?  What would the forecast deaths be if everyone just carried on as normal? 

Maybe they should release those figures to try and keep people indoors and not interacting with everyone they see in pubs and cafes, putting more at risk with their irresponsible and selfish actions.

I'm in the age group allowed in Sainsburys for the 1st. hour. I went today and arrived at 7:15. All the toilet rolls, soup, and a t of serials had gone. They have no online orders available, and say they will contact the over 70s with details of priority online shopping. Question is how do the know how old I am. I have been trying to get through to them for the past hour, no response yet. 

I was very dubious about going but went anyway and got a few things and will be ok for a week or so. The greed and selfishness is incredible.

As for the poster higher up the thread saying it only affects 7%. According to the BBC's world wide numbers 40% of us will need hospital treatment, and of those 1/3, that's around 13% of us need an intensive care bed. It hasn't started yet here.

3 hours ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

So pay 3 visits to supermarket and then get 3 for £15 SIMPLES .

Went to Sainsburys at 8am for the so called elderly hour, full of other ages piling high from what little was on the shelves.

Not a toilet roll to be seen.

Felt like a cynical ploy to get the vulnerable out and spending in the store. Hope I didn't catch the virus while there.

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

... So, in light of that, it means the numbers of people who die might not actually be as bad as a "bad flu year" (e.g. 14/15).

What with all of the anti-virus measures going on ATM I would think that  the number of flu deaths will be down quite a lot this year.  Plus there's the drop of deaths due to pollution in the big Chinese and other highly polluted cities.  I heard on the BBC Worldservice (not in a cafe in Milnrow) it has been estimated that 50,000-75,000  pollution deaths have been prevented in China vs 3,250 (ATM) covid-19 deaths.

"they are dropping like flies in London"

They are. 

Haven't you seen the reporters on the tele standing in empty streets!

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

As far as I understand it, in Italy there aren't enough ventilators available and doctors are having to choose who gets one and who dies.  Does that happen with the flu?

Also, aren't the current forecast deaths based on there being a widespread global lockdown of sorts?  What would the forecast deaths be if everyone just carried on as normal? 

Maybe they should release those figures to try and keep people indoors and not interacting with everyone they see in pubs and cafes, putting more at risk with their irresponsible and selfish actions.

It's true they should state the unchecked figures more, but they have published some indications.

This is the difference between normal bed occupancy and total capacity.

Also this is the inefection rate of Swine Flu compared to Coronavirus

Exponentially take the graph up it being 6x more virulent than SARS, and double swine flu.

Agree, calculate that up needs to be shown

6 hours ago, wiseowl said:

I suspect the current reprehensible and completely OTT behaviour we are currently seeing from a large % of the population has its seeds in this age of social media and fake news. Too many thickos believe whatever is being tweeted, put on facebook or whatever, no matter how outlandish. In a cafe in Milnrow yesterday (not a pub mcfluff) I heard someone saying that "they are dropping like flies in London" and someone else said "if you can hold your breath for 10 seconds and not have any stabbing pains in your chest, you've not got coronavirus". They looked at me quite strange when I started laughing to myself and then challenged them politely on the bollocks they were spouting.

Apart from agreeing with you on the social media thickies [truly, some people are so pig*hi* thick, it beggars belief] I really think you have not grasped that this particular virus is novel...new...unknown. There is no vaccine, there is no defence unless, apparently, you are lucky enough to have anti-bodies that will cope with the virus and deal with it before it gets into your respiratory system. At least with the Flu we have vaccines that can lessen the symptoms and perhaps save lives. With the Coronavirus we have nothing.

You can't just speak in terms of death numbers by Flu vs death by Coronavirus. 20, 000 deaths they hope to contain it to. How would you feel if just one of those deaths was someone you loved? The Flu is a known virus that doesn't require isolation and lock down, just precautions, compared against a complete unknown that seems to be more rampant and resistant because it can hang around in the air and on surfaces long after a carrier has left the scene. This virus gets into the mouth and nose and should be, according to what I have read, dealt with by the immune system. However, if not, it gets into the lungs and respiratory system and it could be goodnight Vienna.

My doctor rang me yesterday, told me I should already be in isolation and just how lethal this virus could be to my system. I am now indoor bound for 12 weeks. My wife is a front line worker and the risk of her bringing it home is quite high. We are doing our absolute best to stop that. Over the top?...I don't think so.

Yes, social media is a sh*t stirring weapon in the hands of the ignorant. I saw yesterday one person actually blaming the virus on Bill Gates!?!? People are too willing to believe any bullshit they see in a tweet. We have to make our own judgement. You've made yours, I've made mine and hopefully we will both be here to say "I told you so".

One final word on the people shovelling supplies into their shopping trolley. They are the lowest of the low...selfish bastards who totally ignore the advice that the supermarkets have enough but they cannot keep the shelves stocked at the current rate of demand. Supermarkets should restrict purchases to two of each for some items and one for others. I saw one guy attempting to buy 16 bottles of wine [what the fuck?] who became severely aggressive when asked to put 12 of them back on the shelves. Absolute knob!

6 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Hi rude - I deliberately chose 2014/15 because, as you say, it was a particularly bad year for flu deaths. Over 28,000 dead in the UK and yet nobody really heard anything about it and there was certainly no panic! - I heard stuff but then again I follow some medical twitter people and mates from Uni follow others. So I got info from the front line as it were, but I appreciate not everyone will have done. 

In light of the facts as they stand, my brain simply cannot understand the current hysteria, doom, gloom and despondency. Normally, every day, around 1500 to 1600 people die in this country. So far, I think we've had 108 deaths from coronavirus. We've all heard from serious political and medical commentators that they hope to contain the death toll at around 20,000 here (and I accept they state that will be a reduced because of the measures they are taking). So, in light of that, it means the numbers of people who die might not actually be as bad as a "bad flu year" (e.g. 14/15). This is true, except we will also have had deaths from flu at the same time, and previously during the season (flu season starts around September / October). 

It's a serious question, I`m not having a go at anyone, I just can't fathom it (and I also appreciate all death is sad, I`m just trying to provide context regarding numbers). I'm guessing but I think it's due to both the virility of the virus (so how infectious it is) and the severity. Yes lots of those infected with the virus are OK, but it's affecting those are risk of flu more severely than the flu. In Italy, based on footage I saw today, they are effectively rationing intensive care beds. If you have COVID-19 and need intensive care you are getting it based on age (the younger ahead of the older). That's not normal in any health system in the Developed World. Italy has more intensive care beds than we do, despite a smaller population. 

I think this is based on a bastardised version of a method of measuring difficulty breathing (dyspnoea). It involves counting, out-loud, from 1 to 30 in a single breath. Then they measure what number you reached and how quickly. From my limited understanding clinicians don't seem to rate it but its seems theoretically more useful and quicker than some other measures you can do without specialist equipment. 

In all seriousness try and only use official sources for any information about COVID-19 (NHS, Public Health England, the Department of Health and Social Care). I think it would help if the Prime Minister's Dad wasn't saying he was going to the pub, despite being in the at risk group. The Prime Minister could and should have bollocked him for that. 

I've not seen anyone say that those stockpiling is good, and I'm aware that most stores are limiting purchases of items to 3 per person at most. The profiteering is disgraceful too, and while stockpiling isn't illegal profiteering apparently is...

8 hours ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

That's genius wozzer. Do you own Ryanair?

Archived