Official COVID-19 megathread

3 hours ago, maddog said:

I work in the NHS and manage my clinical team’s budget. In the last 5 years, our Trust has had to make 10s of millions of savings due to funding cuts. Our team budget has been halved in that time, going from 5 clinicians down to 2 and an unqualified assistant. Access to support from corporate services has also been much reduced due to cuts (IT, HR, recruitment, etc). So we’re being asked to do much much more on much much less. And this has been the experience of everyone I know who works in the NHS. 

The government / people are always banging on about the NHS having money thrown at it. I call bullshit. Where’s it going?

I don't have experience in any public sector field, but I would guess that you could roll out what you've described to the criminal justice system, the police force, fire service and many others.

But after 10 years in government, rather than fund them properly, they just blame health tourists, benefit scroungers and legal aid stealing asylum seekers. Oh and people who do good!!

It stinks.

Edit - sent that too early.  I was going to add that although we've drifted into general politics on a covid thread, the huge cuts to public services are totally relevant when it comes to the pandemic - the country is in no way set up to deal adequately with treating the ill, protecting care homes, enforcing restrictions, tracking and tracing properly and god knows what it'll be like logistically when we try to deal with distributing a vaccine.  All because public services and infrastructure have been decimated by the tories over the last 10 years.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I don't have experience in any public sector field, but I would guess that you could roll out what you've described to the criminal justice system, the police force, fire service and many others.

But after 10 years in government, rather than fund them properly, they just blame health tourists, benefit scroungers and legal aid stealing asylum seekers. Oh and people who do good!!

It stinks.

Edit - sent that too early.  I was going to add that although we've drifted into general politics on a covid thread, the huge cuts to public services are totally relevant when it comes to the pandemic - the country is in no way set up to deal adequately with treating the ill, protecting care homes, enforcing restrictions, tracking and tracing properly and god knows what it'll be like logistically when we try to deal with distributing a vaccine.  All because public services and infrastructure have been decimated by the tories over the last 10 years.  

Nail, head.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We can be sure the first to get covid 19 vaccines will be politicians..for the good of the country.

Well my partner's GP practice has no flu vaccines after doing a fraction of what they do in a normal year, never mind the big increase in numbers 'planned'. So I wouldn't be holding out much hope for widespread and efficient distribution of any Covid vaccine. 

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We can be sure the first to get covid 19 vaccines will be politicians..for the good of the country.

They are welcome to it...  Most of us don't need it and the last one that was rushed through for swine flu didn't end too well for quite a few people.

I'm certainly not an anti-vaxxer (they are mostly nutters imo), but I am not taking a rushed vaccine.

19 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

The bin strikes, the miners strike the 3 day week etc were massively relevant to the emergence of Thatcherism which has so influenced your world view. 

Keep working our way back and I think we end up at the rejection of Barbara Castle and her white paper in '69 being the beginning of the end.

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Well my partner's GP practice has no flu vaccines after doing a fraction of what they do in a normal year, never mind the big increase in numbers 'planned'. So I wouldn't be holding out much hope for widespread and efficient distribution of any Covid vaccine. 

I had my flu jab last week, and got a message on my phone the other day, stating that they are now asking people under 65 with underlying conditions to make an appointment. The surgery must have ample supplies, but I realise others may not be so lucky. I don't know if it's down to the surgery managers not ordering soon enough or not..

Not having a structured flu jab programme, with all those preventable deaths and suffering after all that has happened in 2020 makes my blood boil.
I tried a little while ago,it said I'd have to wait over 65's only and promptly got a stinker of a cold that would have knocked someone older for 6.

8 hours ago, singe said:

Not having a structured flu jab programme, with all those preventable deaths and suffering after all that has happened in 2020 makes my blood boil.
I tried a little while ago,it said I'd have to wait over 65's only and promptly got a stinker of a cold that would have knocked someone older for 6.

You do realise “cold virus” is not prevented by your flu vaccine? Influenzas being completely different viruses.

Also it would seem like your doctors do have a “structured” flu jab programme. Everyone cannot just turn up! That would be “unstructured” and unsafe. GPs are dealing with lists of flu appointments with a safe number to deal with per hour. Those lists are planned to target age groups and different risk groups.  Also the type of vaccines because there are at least 3 different ones, the over 65s getting a different one to the unders. There has been a lot of planning. Vaccines are also arriving in staggered batches, not all in one, further adding to the logistic problems and the message over 65s only.

I hope your blood is not boiling so much now singe, I’m sure your turn will come. 

9 hours ago, singe said:

Influenza jab prevents the common cold?

On 10/9/2020 at 7:32 AM, Pidge said:

You do realise “cold virus” is not prevented by your flu vaccine? Influenzas being completely different viruses.

Also it would seem like your doctors do have a “structured” flu jab programme. Everyone cannot just turn up! That would be “unstructured” and unsafe. GPs are dealing with lists of flu appointments with a safe number to deal with per hour. Those lists are planned to target age groups and different risk groups.  Also the type of vaccines because there are at least 3 different ones, the over 65s getting a different one to the unders. There has been a lot of planning. Vaccines are also arriving in staggered batches, not all in one, further adding to the logistic problems and the message over 65s only.

I hope your blood is not boiling so much now singe, I’m sure your turn will come. 

Every day is a school day.
Due to a job I did I had flu jab every year for 6 years, never had cold or flu in that time, and assumed it included both or maybe I had flu when I thought I had a cold.

I think the anouncement of over 50's eligibility could have been done with more information of the structure ie availalble from x date, no mention of a structure at the time so oeople will check. It's good more people are having the job, still too many preventable deaths.

My point, not well made, was that there was a heavy cold or flu bug doing the rounds. My son had 10 people off in his class for a couple of days, and that was supposedly in a Covid secure environment, with other schools the same that I know of.

On 10/9/2020 at 7:32 AM, Pidge said:

Excellent post, thank you.

3 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

The UK is the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world. We are borrowing, for arguments sake £100 billion, to cope with the pandemic

who are we borrowing it off and where has their money come from?

hey sell bonds to whoever wants to buy them, at guaranteed interest levels, to investment companies and pension funds etc. They will also ensure inflation rises, so that the debt reduces over time. Interest rates are very low right now, so it's not adding much to the debt.

The Government really need to pay the 80% to people affected as they did earlier in the year, not the 67% they have come up with. This should also apply to the companies which supply places closed down, which have to furlough workers. It will be cheaper in the long run than paying out universal credit.

8 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

The UK is the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world. We are borrowing, for arguments sake £100 billion, to cope with the pandemic

who are we borrowing it off and where has their money come from?

There is no actual money, just numbers transferred from one account to another with the promise of repayment with even more numbers. Cash is becoming a thing of the past. This pandemic is providing the perfect opportunity for retail and leisure to accept card payment only and they probably would prefer it to remain that way. 

45 minutes ago, Wardie said:

There is no actual money, just numbers transferred from one account to another with the promise of repayment with even more numbers. Cash is becoming a thing of the past. This pandemic is providing the perfect opportunity for retail and leisure to accept card payment only and they probably would prefer it to remain that way. 

Even I didn’t think there was a suitcase with £100 billion in used tenners In it !!!!  and I also know more money is owed than exists but if eg Scottish Widows lends £10 billion to the govt what security do they have.......or is it the case that my pension fund is lending my money to the govt in the secure knowledge that I will pay the money I get from my pension fund  to the govt to pay off  my pension provider ?

41 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Even I didn’t think there was a suitcase with £100 billion in used tenners In it !!!!  and I also know more money is owed than exists but if eg Scottish Widows lends £10 billion to the govt what security do they have.......or is it the case that my pension fund is lending my money to the govt in the secure knowledge that I will pay the money I get from my pension fund  to the govt to pay off  my pension provider ?

It can be borrowed over 20 30 40 years

10 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Yes but my pension fund is still lending it against it a belief that I , or  my successors, will have to use my receipts from the pension fund to contribute to repaying the pension fund 

You won't need to repay your pension fund. Gilts, or government IOUs, are repaid by the government at maturity to whoever has invested in them. If your pension fund wants to redeem them earlier, there is a highly liquid secondary market available for your pension fund to sell them in. As it happens a large proportion of government debt has been bought by the Bank of England under QE, so you might argue that it's one arm of the state borrowing from another, a.k.a. printing money.

Archived