Official COVID-19 megathread

18 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

You won't need to repay your pension fund. Gilts, or government IOUs, are repaid by the government at maturity to whoever has invested in them. If your pension fund wants to redeem them earlier, there is a highly liquid secondary market available for your pension fund to sell them in. As it happens a large proportion of government debt has been bought by the Bank of England under QE, so you might argue that it's one arm of the state borrowing from another, a.k.a. printing money.

Yes but the bottom line is that the govt uses my money to repay its bonds gilts etc......govt don’t have money they use money they collect.    I fully appreciate that is massively over simplistic and I won’t notice the extra revenue collected from me over the years but to quote Amber Rudd ( remember her? ) there are no money trees  aka unsustainable ? 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on topic.

The Chinese are allowing people in Yiwu (somewhere in the East of China) to buy a vaccine at £45 per shot. They queue up to get a number, then queue again at one of the health centres where they were testing. It's not been officially approved yet, but they are telling the public to buy the vaccine if they want immunity. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-china-54582150

8 minutes ago, al_bro said:

345Back on topic.

The Chinese are allowing people in Yiwu (somewhere in the East of China) to buy a vaccine at £45 per shot. They queue up to get a number, then queue again at one of the health centres where they were testing. It's not been officially approved yet, but they are telling the public to buy the vaccine if they want immunity. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-china-54582150

Pay £45 to be a guinea pig ?

It's not fully tested yet.

20 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Yes but my pension fund is still lending it against it a belief that I , or  my successors, will have to use my receipts from the pension fund to contribute to repaying the pension fund 

When the bubble bursts we are might fucked ! 

Kate is just making farting sounds.

Rider in Giro has just tested positive six months after he had Covid.  That is what coronaviruses can do reinfect even after only a short period.  Vaccine next year possible?probable but it won't stop people being infected so that the virus goes underground, so to speak, and makes things more dangerous.

The future is not so bright particularly facing a winter in the "very high".

1 hour ago, Hands on said:

Kate is just making farting sounds.

Rider in Giro has just tested positive six months after he had Covid.  That is what coronaviruses can do reinfect even after only a short period.  Vaccine next year possible?probable but it won't stop people being infected so that the virus goes underground, so to speak, and makes things more dangerous.

The future is not so bright particularly facing a winter in the "very high".

So going forward no different than flu and its vaccine and its annual toll ? 

19 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

So going forward no different than flu and its vaccine and its annual toll ? 

Possibly, but at the moment it seems very rare to catch it twice. Perhaps some people don't develop enough antibodies.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:37 PM, Behind Closed Doors said:

Statistically It is rare to catch it once let alone twice

The same can be said about Influenza. 

On 10/21/2020 at 5:51 PM, al_bro said:

Possibly, but at the moment it seems very rare to catch it twice. Perhaps some people don't develop enough antibodies.

As a cyclist his immune system might not be the best, that's without considering the sort of stuff that cyclists used to do that damages the immune system. 

The cyclist was asymptomatic so it is more feasible his recent positive test was a false positive. 

7 hours ago, rudemedic said:

The same can be said about Influenza. 

You will know far better than I but once a vaccine is found ( which almost certainly won’t be a silver bullet) wont Covid 19  just become another seasonal illness and threat with similar mitigations and consequences as we have for What we know as influenza

13 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

You will know far better than I but once a vaccine is found ( which almost certainly won’t be a silver bullet) wont Covid 19  just become another seasonal illness and threat with similar mitigations and consequences as we have for What we know as influenza

Not certain. It will depend on lots of factors. 

COVID-19 is certainly more deadly than Influenza but there aren't as many strains of COVID-19. So a vaccine against it might not have to be seasonal, but I wouldn't be surprised if you need more than 1 vaccine to have life-long immunity. 

How effective any vaccine against COVID-19 is against other coronaviruses is another issue. There is certainly a risk of COVID-27 etc. 

10 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Not certain. It will depend on lots of factors. 

COVID-19 is certainly more deadly than Influenza but there aren't as many strains of COVID-19. So a vaccine against it might not have to be seasonal, but I wouldn't be surprised if you need more than 1 vaccine to have life-long immunity. 

How effective any vaccine against COVID-19 is against other coronaviruses is another issue. There is certainly a risk of COVID-27 etc. 

The uk death rate is currently lower than average for this time of year, even with covid and flu thrown in. It currently isnt more deadly, the hospitals are better prepared this time around and have become smarter at treating it. 

9 minutes ago, latics22 said:

The uk death rate is currently lower than average for this time of year, even with covid and flu thrown in. It currently isnt more deadly, the hospitals are better prepared this time around and have become smarter at treating it. 

True. That's bc more people are washing their hands more plus social distancing and masks.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

................could be because a lot of vulnerable people have already died.

"Having monitored all recent COVID information, and considering the recent positive test registered by our Head Coach, we have this week completed a thorough testing process on our first team squad.

This has resulted in one positive case. The individual is now isolating for the required number of days."

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/october/24102020-covid-19-update/

On 10/24/2020 at 2:30 PM, LaticMark said:

"Having monitored all recent COVID information, and considering the recent positive test registered by our Head Coach, we have this week completed a thorough testing process on our first team squad.

This has resulted in one positive case. The individual is now isolating for the required number of days."

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/october/24102020-covid-19-update/

So they haven't been thorough in the past then!

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

The EFL does not recommend regular testing. It is an expensive business for teams who can’t pay their normal bills.  Approx £100 a shot! 

Paying our 2 holding midfielders £100 to have a shot at goal would be more like it. 

Archived