Official COVID-19 megathread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently it's being reported in some American newspapers, that Astra Zeneca have given permission for the Oxford vaccine to be used in their hospitals next month. It's not been officially approved yet, but it could be used as an emergency treatment. This is probably what our friend Donald was talking about. I think it's his permission they need. In the past Astra Zeneca have refused to give their permission.

On 10/16/2020 at 11:46 AM, Behind Closed Doors said:

The UK is the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world. We are borrowing, for arguments sake £100 billion, to cope with the pandemic

who are we borrowing it off and where has their money come from?

When this question got posted I thought the answer was obvious... except I couldn’t actually answer it. Not so obvious at all. 

Hopefully this might help:

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/economics-and-finance/if-all-governments-are-borrowing-to-fight-covid-who-is-lending

9 hours ago, Crusoe said:

When this question got posted I thought the answer was obvious... except I couldn’t actually answer it. Not so obvious at all. 

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/economics-and-finance/if-all-governments-are-borrowing-to-fight-covid-who-is-lending

That's a great article, and simply put. I try to read Richard Murphy when I need to, but to be honest - a lot of it is too technical for me.

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/10/26/mythbuster-what-is-quantitative-easing-and-how-does-it-work/

14 hours ago, Crusoe said:

That’s a good article.....thanks

On 10/6/2020 at 6:54 PM, Matt said:

Absolutely, they did a job on Corbyn (they did a similar job on Michael Foot too back in the day). Spin machines churn out memes and bot posts about MP's getting numbers mixed up, or just for eating a sandwich, or drinking a can; however you can count on one hand how many memes there are about an MP saying Grenfell victims lacked common sense, or the successive MP's who lost and destroyed a hundred sex case files at the Home Office, etc.

General public are being played.

Media mogul Starmer joining in today ?

The BBC news at lunch time, stated that the current upsurge in Europe is caused by a new strain of the virus which started in farm workers in Spain. This spread throughout Spain, and people travelling there for holiday brought it back to their countries. How this works I'm not sure, as there is no immunity to the original virus, never mind a new strain.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

The BBC news at lunch time, stated that the current upsurge in Europe is caused by a new strain of the virus which started in farm workers in Spain. This spread throughout Spain, and people travelling there for holiday brought it back to their countries. How this works I'm not sure, as there is no immunity to the original virus, never mind a new strain.

New strain isn't thought to be sufficiently different to reduce the effectiveness of a vaccine. 

All minks are being culled in Denmark. It's been found that they catch covid-19 from people, and pass it back as a different strain that may affect the effectiveness of vaccines, because different antibodies are required. 12 cases have been reported so far, according to the BBC news at lunch time.

There's a common theme here, and I'm not a dewy-eyed animal rights activist by any stretch of the imagination. Wet markets in Wuhan, mink farms in Denmark, lice-ridden salmon farms, BSE on our farms a generation ago - I'll always be a carnivore rather than a veggie, but for me the quid pro quo for the right to eat and/or skin animals is that humans look after them hygienically and compassionately. Otherwise as a species we get what we deserve. Call it the revenge of the pangolin if you like.

22 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

There's a common theme here, and I'm not a dewy-eyed animal rights activist by any stretch of the imagination. Wet markets in Wuhan, mink farms in Denmark, lice-ridden salmon farms, BSE on our farms a generation ago - I'll always be a carnivore rather than a veggie, but for me the quid pro quo for the right to eat and/or skin animals is that humans look after them hygienically and compassionately. Otherwise as a species we get what we deserve. Call it the revenge of the pangolin if you like.

Was that a Bruce Lee film? 

On 11/5/2020 at 5:40 PM, Dave_Og said:

Was that a Bruce Lee film? 

A Chinese delicacy, like everything else that walks on four legs! If we refer to our Old Testament "instructions" there are certain ways animals should be kept and cooked but I don't believe our oriental brethren take much notice of it. :D

6 minutes ago, Wardie said:

A Chinese delicacy, like everything else that walks on four legs! If we refer to our Old Testament "instructions" there are certain ways animals should be kept and cooked but I don't believe our oriental brethren take much notice of it. :D

Well I can tell you one thing for sure, I won't be referring to the old testament before I flick the oven on tonight 

13 hours ago, Wardie said:

I'd wager almost everything that 99% of Chinese don't take any notice at all of 100% of any testament bullshit, whether it be old, new, or anything!!

Who's confident that the vaccine, if approved, will be rolled out efficiently?  Mu partner, recently retired nurse of 35 years standing, been asked to come out of retirement and pay £195 to be included in the pool of available staff.  Great plan...

Meanwhile my mate's 86 year old Mum has had the same offer.  My mum's offer (she's 88) must be in the post.

56 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Who's confident that the vaccine, if approved, will be rolled out efficiently?  Mu partner, recently retired nurse of 35 years standing, been asked to come out of retirement and pay £195 to be included in the pool of available staff.  Great plan...

Meanwhile my mate's 86 year old Mum has had the same offer.  My mum's offer (she's 88) must be in the post.

I'm pretty confident they'll have the same level of success as they've had with test and trace.

15 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

They want people to pay or they will pay people to have it??

I'll stick with regular hand washing and social distancing, thanks. Maybe have it in 12 months time if it looks safe and it's free.

This is where I'm at, although if I were in my 80's I'd be first in the queue, the older generation need to get out and about as it must be frustrating being stuck indoors. Mental health is important and being pent up isn't helping. 

7 minutes ago, disjointed said:

This is where I'm at, although if I were in my 80's I'd be first in the queue, the older generation need to get out and about as it must be frustrating being stuck indoors. Mental health is important and being pent up isn't helping. 

The first in the queue will be MPs, no doubt saying they are leaders of the nation and the most essential.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The first in the queue will be MPs, no doubt saying they are leaders of the nation and the most essential.

😂

No chance. You don't see Generals going first over the top in war and you won't see our leaders going first in the vaccinations.

They'll discuss it in private and the few who fancy it will be wheeled out in the media whilst the rest watch from the trenches. Maybe whilst lying about having had it.

Archived