Official COVID-19 megathread

43 minutes ago, Wee Bobby said:

Why can't our Labour backers get it in their heads. The option at the time of the election was Boris or Corbyn. 

like being asked to pick between having a crow peck your eyes out or a barracuda bite your cock off

But no one and I mean no one is as big a cunt as that scruffy fat twat and he’s done nothing in over 12 months to prove otherwise and the fact he sounds like Corney just makes me want to drop the fucker even more. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

In terms of total deaths per million of population (a fair measure which allows for population density)the UK is below France, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium, several other European countries, Israel and the USA;

This is very much open to debate-depends on which website you choose but most seem to have only Italy above us.

It’s easy to criticise the government anyone can do that, if they are doing so bad what’s the alternatives ? Yes they make mistakes, but the status of the virus can change in days. It’s been a huge task and ultimately the government can say what they want, but it will come down to us as society to follow the rules. Look how long it took us to come out the first lockdown, that’s when we had to stay in. People obviously weren’t as it took months for the rates to drop.

Bojo and co are not perfect, but it’s easy to bash them. 

It doesn't matter which party or leader is in control, any would have struggled to get everything right. It's easy for any opposition to carp from the sidelines and say we told them this and that days or weeks ago. That simply makes some members of the public ignore what they are being told to do. We also have irresponsible politicians, media people and sports people ignoring the rules. 

The next thing the opposition will predictably complain about, will be the roll out of the vaccine. BJ said last night, with a fair wind and if everything goes well, 13m people will have been vaccinated by the middle of Feb. Already the opposition and media have turned that into a firm promise when it wasn't. There is a world shortage of the glass vials for the vaccines, which isn't a surprise for the number of vaccines being made at such short notice.

That in turn will be something else to beat the Government with, for not planning and anticipating something which is more or less out of their hands.  

36 minutes ago, al_bro said:

BJ said last night, with a fair wind 

Another of his vomit inducing, Eton pig shagging boys analogies 

“Prussian cavalry”

”when the dawn breaks and the curtain goes up” 

guy is a tosser and his fake crying crony Matt (Han)cock isn’t far behind - yes it’s easy to criticise because they are so far out of touch from reality it’s untrue and that’s across the fucking spectrum - the only thing that would shake this compete and utter corrupt cesspit that is Westminster is everyone spoiling ballots but the sheep don’t want to “waste their vote” and wave in the next self serving toss pot tyrant like the Saxons waving in Boudicca 

makes me fucking sick the lot of it 

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

The next thing the opposition will predictably complain about, will be the roll out of the vaccine. BJ said last night, with a fair wind and if everything goes well, 13m people will have been vaccinated by the middle of Feb. Already the opposition and media have turned that into a firm promise when it wasn't. There is a world shortage of the glass vials for the vaccines, which isn't a surprise for the number of vaccines being made at such short notice.

That in turn will be something else to beat the Government with, for not planning and anticipating something which is more or less out of their hands.  

Damn right the opposition should be holding this Govt to task. Its what they should do. Perhaps too many of you got too used to Corbyns lack of credible opposition and find it strange now.

They have so far, not delivered anything Covid related they promised on time or on budget. It's no coincidence Boris fudged how many will be vaccinated given his history.

Good of you to provide him with a ready excuse for missing his target after all nobody knew did they, that we would need millions of vaccine doses and the equipment to deliver them months ago-Really?

Very little of this as been "out of their hands" as you put it but with his total lack of ability to make tough decisions and surrounded by a bunch of untalented sycophants we are now all paying the price.

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

It’s easy to criticise the government anyone can do that, if they are doing so bad what’s the alternatives ? Yes they make mistakes, but the status of the virus can change in days. It’s been a huge task and ultimately the government can say what they want, but it will come down to us as society to follow the rules. Look how long it took us to come out the first lockdown, that’s when we had to stay in. People obviously weren’t as it took months for the rates to drop.

Bojo and co are not perfect, but it’s easy to bash them. 

I'll have a go at suggesting alternatives.  I think these are all fairly common sense options, not without their own issues obviously, but I think would have resulted in less dead bodies.  And didn't require hindsight either...

1. We so desperately wanted to "control our borders", yet have left them wide open and unattended for whoever wanted to come in or go out dripping with covid.  Other islands shut theirs, or at least put in place a lot stricter measures.

2. We wanted "control of our laws" too whilst I'm on that theme, but Cummings was backed by everyone in government for breaking lockdown.  He got to make up a total lie about eye tests, and the public was told him driving up to durham with a car full of the disease was just him using common sense. This will have eroded public trust/confidence in government and lockdown measures. He should have been sacked, or demoted or something.  

3. We sent 3 million kids back to school yesterday after the government insisting right up until Sunday that schools were safe.  By the end of the next day they were "vectors for transmission" and needed to be closed.  That could have been done in December and given schools a couple of weeks to prepare everything for remote learning. He has no answer to the question of why kids were sent back for 1 day.

Of course there's no easy answer to a situation like this, and no one would ever expect any government to get everything right.  But there were plenty of other courses of action open to the government that wouldn't have been as damaging to the economy or death toll - as has been proven in other countries.

Unfortunately, we elected a liar and a coward as our Prime Minister, and he put in place a cabinet of incompetent nodding dogs.  They over-promise, under-deliver and make the same mistakes over and over again, to the country's great cost.

22 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Damn right the opposition should be holding this Govt to task. Its what they should do. Perhaps too many of you got too used to Corbyns lack of credible opposition and find it strange now.

Kier Starmer is credible?? Jesus wept 

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I'll have a go at suggesting alternatives.  I think these are all fairly common sense options, not without their own issues obviously, but I think would have resulted in less dead bodies.  And didn't require hindsight either...

1. We so desperately wanted to "control our borders"

Yeah and all those EU members used that sovereignty we have been so desperate to reclaim to close their borders to us when the EU asked them not too - bloody tyrannical EU 

9 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Apart from the fact that:

1. The CCP covered up the serious nature of the virus for several weeks after November 2019, banging up the doctor who tried to warn the world;
  2. The new variant wasn't around in April 2020;
  3. In terms of total deaths per million of population (a fair measure which allows for population density)the UK is below France, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium, several other European countries, Israel and the USA;

Perhaps the government could have done more. What a pity we didn't get that model of statesmanship Corbyn, I must say.

1. November, December - I'm not going to argue over a couple of weeks. We've still got over 12 months experience, for instance Eat Out To Help Out might just pull a few votes back again when it's reintroduced in March.

2. The new variant is a variant - it's not anything new, heads aren't exploding, the dead aren't walking around - it's not as if this is a completely different virus. Also, this ties nicely with point one, WHO recorded the Kent(?) variant active in September. What did Govt do? Told everyone late October there will be a lockdown for four weeks, change the tier standing in December and then let everyone in London migrate around the country on packed rattlers.

3. I'm not going into total deaths per million thing because they are deaths, they are people - and I hate the way folk use these numbers for some sort of internet politics game.

4. Not sure if this is a False Memory, or confabulation, or an Argument from Ignorance - but Corbz didn't do anything, was never in power, never had anything to do with current Government policy, nor did he give juicy contracts to his mates - and, moreover I couldn't care less about him, I'm not a Labour voter.

6 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

What has Corbyn got to do with the failures of this government? 

"Yeah, but at least it's not as bad as..."

I think it's this: it admits that things are indeed bad, and therefore could have been done better.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

1. We so desperately wanted to "control our borders", yet have left them wide open and unattended for whoever wanted to come in or go out dripping with covid.  Other islands shut theirs, or at least put in place a lot stricter measures.

2. We wanted "control of our laws" too whilst I'm on that theme, but Cummings was backed by everyone in government for breaking lockdown.  He got to make up a total lie about eye tests, and the public was told him driving up to durham with a car full of the disease was just him using common sense. This will have eroded public trust/confidence in government and lockdown measures. He should have been sacked, or demoted or something.  

3. We sent 3 million kids back to school yesterday after the government insisting right up until Sunday that schools were safe.  By the end of the next day they were "vectors for transmission" and needed to be closed.  That could have been done in December and given schools a couple of weeks to prepare everything for remote learning. He has no answer to the question of why kids were sent back for 1 day.

Of course there's no easy answer to a situation like this, and no one would ever expect any government to get everything right.  But there were plenty of other courses of action open to the government that wouldn't have been as damaging to the economy or death toll - as has been proven in other countries.

Unfortunately, we elected a liar and a coward as our Prime Minister, and he put in place a cabinet of incompetent nodding dogs.  They over-promise, under-deliver and make the same mistakes over and over again, to the country's great cost.

Great reply, thanks for taking the time. 

Yeah this government isn’t perfect and have got things wrong, just don’t like the persistent bashing from the media, it’s boring and not constructive. 

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Yeah and all those EU members used that sovereignty we have been so desperate to reclaim to close their borders to us when the EU asked them not too - bloody tyrannical EU 

The Eu must be a pretty poor tyrant if the countries who were asked ignored them 

Whichever way you look at it it's not been our finest hour as a nation has it? I think it's a combination of our utterly useless government and bungling buffoon of a prime minister and peoples attitude of "I know best for me" which has caused this mess including some people on this thread who think they no better than the worlds leading scientists.

Rabbi Andrew Sacks said it right recently when he said the 2 most individualistic countries in the world Britain and America are the ones who have dealt with this worst. Those that have a collectivist approach such as those in far east Japan, South Korea, and to lesser extent in Europe Germany have dealt with this the best.

I'd like to think we can move away from this and start looking at what's the best for the country as whole rather than the "I'm alright jack approach" which has failed. I'm not advocating communism far from it but part of me would like to see us be abit more of a United Kingdom in future.

Sadly I see us doing what we always do when stuff like this happens the right wing written press will just blame immigrants and poor people and possibly celebrities too particularly ones from ethnic backgrounds oh and young people aswell don't forget them. The easy to manipulate will just believe them, not based on any fact it's just that its narrative that they will want to believe and we will get worse as a country.

18 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Whichever way you look at it it's not been our finest hour as a nation has it? I think it's a combination of our utterly useless government and bungling buffoon of a prime minister and peoples attitude of "I know best for me" which has caused this mess including some people on this thread who think they no better than the worlds leading scientists.

Rabbi Andrew Sacks said it right recently when he said the 2 most individualistic countries in the world Britain and America are the ones who have dealt with this worst. Those that have a collectivist approach such as those in far east Japan, South Korea, and to lesser extent in Europe Germany have dealt with this the best.

I'd like to think we can move away from this and start looking at what's the best for the country as whole rather than the "I'm alright jack approach" which has failed. I'm not advocating communism far from it but part of me would like to see us be abit more of a United Kingdom in future.

Sadly I see us doing what we always do when stuff like this happens the right wing written press will just blame immigrants and poor people and possibly celebrities too particularly ones from ethnic backgrounds oh and young people aswell don't forget them. The easy to manipulate will just believe them, not based on any fact it's just that its narrative that they will want to believe and we will get worse as a country.

United Kingdom ? Come on that doesn’t exist. Living in both England and Wales the divide is clear, bring Scotland into the mix and half of Ireland we are Fractured Kingdom. 

15 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

From your earlier comments I doubt you have a good word for any politician. But we need a strong(er) opposition to hold any Govt to task as the previous Lab opposition sadly proved.

True - they all piss in the same pot but that wet wipe is far far far from the answer 

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Britain and America are the ones who have dealt with this worst. 

And both are very much culprits in the way of the world these days however much the flag waving, empire mourning, immigrant hating mass believe us to be the light side of the force 

11 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Another of his vomit inducing, Eton pig shagging boys analogies 

“Prussian cavalry”

”when the dawn breaks and the curtain goes up” 

guy is a tosser and his fake crying crony Matt (Han)cock isn’t far behind - yes it’s easy to criticise because they are so far out of touch from reality it’s untrue and that’s across the fucking spectrum - the only thing that would shake this compete and utter corrupt cesspit that is Westminster is everyone spoiling ballots but the sheep don’t want to “waste their vote” and wave in the next self serving toss pot tyrant like the Saxons waving in Boudicca 

makes me fucking sick the lot of it 

Sorry for the pedantory but Saxons would have a hard time waving in Boudicca as she would have been dead for at least 400 years 🧟‍♀️

On 1/4/2021 at 11:04 PM, latics22 said:

Not many forums I can post this on! But gary needle Aka gazza needle is going against the tide and opening up his school to key children. Go on gazza!

Who the fuck is Gary Needle and how the fuck is he going against the tide by doing the same as nearly every other school in the country 😂😂😂😂

13 hours ago, al_bro said:

It doesn't matter which party or leader is in control, any would have struggled to get everything right. It's easy for any opposition to carp from the sidelines and say we told them this and that days or weeks ago. That simply makes some members of the public ignore what they are being told to do. We also have irresponsible politicians, media people and sports people ignoring the rules. 

So why have other countries faced with exactly the same challenges as us, dealt with coronavirus so much better? Do those countries not have opposition parties?

Archived