Official COVID-19 megathread

21 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

UK have found another two drugs which help to fight the virus and reduce mortality rates. Good work. 

They're just existing drugs (one is for Arthritis) which have been authorised for use in late stage Covid cases and may reduce the patients chance of death at that point from 1 in 3 to 1 in 4. Hancock trying to take credit for it is a joke, they're not even British drugs!! 

What is really needed to ease pressure on hospitals and help us to live with this virus in the long term  is an early stage therapeutic that reduces the symptoms and specifically breathing problems associated with Covid.... A company called Synairgen (a spin off from Southampton University) have developed one which is safe and easily delivered via a nebuliser, it had brilliant early results which were peer reviewed and published in the Lancet and is now in final stage trials but our inept Government have been very unsupportive and even removed it from the Covid recovery trial programme. It's getting more support in the US and it will serve us right if it is taken up there. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Aren't they running out in Birmingham? The demand is there perhaps they can't make it quick enough. 

Apparently there is enough vaccine in the country to vaccinate 30 million now. The issue is batching it for use. ie testing, certifying bottling etc.

39 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Looking forward to manufacturing issues being blamed on the government

So whose fault is it?

Usual Hancocks Half hour show this morning for (those old enough to remember).

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

My wife's covid jab has been cancelled until further notice...the vaccine has failed to arrive.

94 year neighbour having his jab tomorrow. 75 yr friend in M/cr having 2nd jab Sat. Post code lottery.

22 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Apparently there is enough vaccine in the country to vaccinate 30 million now. The issue is batching it for use. ie testing, certifying bottling etc.

So whose fault is it?

Usual Hancocks Half hour show this morning for (those old enough to remember).

94 year neighbour having his jab tomorrow. 75 yr friend in M/cr having 2nd jab Sat. Post code lottery.

Yeah my mum who is 85 is having her 1st one tomorrow, my work mate his mother in law who lives in Manchester and in her early 70's got her 2nd one today(she has no medical problems). Having said that my mum is delighted she is getting hers. 

13 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Yeah my mum who is 85 is having her 1st one tomorrow, my work mate his mother in law who lives in Manchester and in her early 70's got her 2nd one today(she has no medical problems). Having said that my mum is delighted she is getting hers. 

Put the thermals on and take a flask.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I notice the photoshoot today wasn't at a surgery like in Failsworth where over 80s had to queue outside in the freezing cold for hours.

Same thing happened at a surgery just up the hill from where we live. An "admin error" resulted in 1,100 patients all being booked in for an 11:30 appointment. All in their 80s and one poor lady collapsed on the pavement.

8 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

UK have found another two drugs which help to fight the virus and reduce mortality rates. Good work. 

This is not strictly true. UK based researchers and clinicians have gathered enough evidence to make the proof more substantial. 

There are a few cases of the Chinese and the Italians seeing the positive effects of using the drug, Tocilizumab, for treating COVID. Or more accurately the inflammation caused by COVID. But its anti-inflammatory properties are well known, so it makes sense that when the Chinese and the Italians were desperate in early 2020 they tried everything they could think of.

To be honest the fact that we are discovering this sort of thing isn't necessarily something automatically to shout about. I don't see much on the news about breakthroughs in Covid treatment from Australia and New Zealand, because they haven't got the cases, so aren't spending money on proving treatments work. 

Beating the Yanks, and the Germans and French to the punch is a little bit of a feather in the cap for the UK health system though. I'd still rather be in the position of the Aussies and Kiwis in relation to Covid though. 

On 30 December my 89 year-old aunt got an appointment for her first vaccination on 12 January at Oldham's Integrated Care Centre. Yesterday it was cancelled because there has been a problem with the delivery of the vaccine and they do not have a delivery date at present.

1 minute ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

On 30 December my 89 year-old aunt got an appointment for her first vaccination on 12 January at Oldham's Integrated Care Centre. Yesterday it was cancelled because there has been a problem with the delivery of the vaccine and they do not have a delivery date at present.

I hope she gets it soon Diego, it really isn't good for people's mental health having to stay indoors, they need to get these vaccinations done so people can bring back a little normality. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

I hope she gets it soon Diego, it really isn't good for people's mental health having to stay indoors, they need to get these vaccinations done so people can bring back a little normality. 

I spoke to a colleague yesterday who was hoping that they wouldn't be selected for furlough again because they didn't want to stay at home alone.

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

Thanks for that - successfully booked for 15 January.

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Hearing that any football below Conference North/South will be being cancelled for the season...

Sounds right.   They haven't played for quite some time and no obvious prospect of starting again.  Typically my lot are unbeaten in the league.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

The Moderna vaccine  has now been given the go ahead. It needs to be stored at -20 degrees so is ok for freezers, but not ideal, and we won't get it until late spring.

Store it on the seats in the RRE this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit out of touch since l saw that war criminal cunt bliar piling in saying we should cancel all second jabs to focus on giving more people the first. Not even sure when that actually was, feels like about four weeks but anyway l jus kinda laughed in disbelief at the time and suggested the best thing for the whole planet would be for everybody to do the exact opposite of what he was saying. Got a few hours to myself so was just attempting a general catch up whilst watching the Cricket and it seems we are actually doing something along those lines??? Seen talk of a 12 week gap between jabs? My initial impression was it had to be three weeks? Seems like we are slipping toward a widening of accepted variables in the cloud hypothesis based approach. Looks like thinking was swayed by the usage of first jab protection percentages, but l am reading the papers backwards. (Hey, isn't it funny how we say papers when hardly any this stuff makes it onto paper anymore!!)

Also found the story of the New Zealander who came to Europe, went home, self isolated for 14 days, return two or three negative tests, went to the shops, took in some culture then felt a bit dizzy so went for a third (fourth?) test and was positive. l found that an interesting story and young me would have gone input hunting there.

Anyway, what l basically mean is l see one thing and still to this day my brain instantly thinks of tony bliar. That cunt should be inside as a bare minimum. Stunned he survived his five minutes in the middle east, that must have cost a billion pounds.

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Been a bit out of touch since l saw that war criminal cunt bliar piling in saying we should cancel all second jabs to focus on giving more people the first. Not even sure when that actually was, feels like about four weeks but anyway l jus kinda laughed in disbelief at the time and suggested the best thing for the whole planet would be for everybody to do the exact opposite of what he was saying. Got a few hours to myself so was just attempting a general catch up whilst watching the Cricket and it seems we are actually doing something along those lines??? Seen talk of a 12 week gap between jabs? My initial impression was it had to be three weeks? Seems like we are slipping toward a widening of accepted variables in the cloud hypothesis based approach. Looks like thinking was swayed by the usage of first jab protection percentages, but l am reading the papers backwards. (Hey, isn't it funny how we say papers when hardly any this stuff makes it onto paper anymore!!)

Also found the story of the New Zealander who came to Europe, went home, self isolated for 14 days, return two or three negative tests, went to the shops, took in some culture then felt a bit dizzy so went for a third (fourth?) test and was positive. l found that an interesting story and young me would have gone input hunting there.

Anyway, what l basically mean is l see one thing and still to this day my brain instantly thinks of tony bliar. That cunt should be inside as a bare minimum. Stunned he survived his five minutes in the middle east, that must have cost a billion pounds.

Get it all out lad! 

• 4 weeks later...

The media seem to be getting carried away with positivity regarding this pandemic. They wanted to know when we would enter lockdown when cases were rising alarmedly. As soon as we enter lockdown, they wanted to know when we will come out and what would make that decision possible. Now they seem over the moon because things, on the face of it, look brighter. They don't watch and listen to what they have reported in the past. The large majority of people who have had  a vaccine have had the Oxford/AstraZeneca one. It has been reported that this vaccine is only 10% effective against this South African variant which will undoubtedly get out in this country. The BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine is only 50% effective. To me, this could cause another wave this year if these vaccines aren't quickly tweaked. Hopefully this can be done before the majority have their second dose. I'm having my first tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, al_bro said:

It has been reported that this vaccine is only 10% effective against this South African variant which will undoubtedly get out in this country.

The report also says in mild to moderate cases-so not as bad as first seems.

But the company expressed confidence the vaccine would offer protection against serious cases, because it created neutralising antibodies similar to those of other coronavirus vaccines.

It's not just the media though is it? Plenty of MP's now champing to get restrictions lifted-do they know better than our scientists? I am no fan of him but at least Boris seems more reluctant this time to open up society again and I think the public recognise this and would support him if he is cautious.

Good luck with your jab tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

The report also says in mild to moderate cases-so not as bad as first seems.

It's not just the media though is it? Plenty of MP's now champing to get restrictions lifted-do they know better than our scientists? I am no fan of him but at least Boris seems more reluctant this time to open up society again and I think the public recognise this and would support him if he is cautious.

Good luck with your jab tomorrow.

Boris looks like he is finally getting it right regarding covid, took him nearly 12 months for the penny to drop. 

Archived