Official COVID-19 megathread

43 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

The report also says in mild to moderate cases-so not as bad as first seems.

It's not just the media though is it? Plenty of MP's now champing to get restrictions lifted-do they know better than our scientists? I am no fan of him but at least Boris seems more reluctant this time to open up society again and I think the public recognise this and would support him if he is cautious.

Good luck with your jab tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Boris looks like he is finally getting it right regarding covid, took him nearly 12 months for the penny to drop. 

100% agree. A bit of caution and we will be re-opening everything more thoroughly. It just needs the proper support for alittle while and then the recovery can begin. People will embrace it fully if they feel safe.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The government will have to be very cautious until all those in the at risk because of a medical condition get vaccinated, because when they release the brakes, almost everyone unvaccinated will probably catch it. They will have to be brave not to blink and reverse back into lockdown. 

39 minutes ago, Pidge said:

The government will have to be very cautious until all those in the at risk because of a medical condition get vaccinated, because when they release the brakes, almost everyone unvaccinated will probably catch it. They will have to be brave not to blink and reverse back into lockdown. 

Increasing case numbers, even in those not at risk, isn't good - that's the pathway to more variants, and more uncertainty.

8 minutes ago, singe said:

The problem with Boris is that he has a track record of saying one thing and doing a U turn as he caves into presssure from his own side, so we have to hope he stands firm this one critical time.

And there's the rub. He has too stand firm and stop being the guy who wants to be loved. I'm doubtful. 

3 hours ago, al_bro said:

The media seem to be getting carried away with positivity regarding this pandemic. They wanted to know when we would enter lockdown when cases were rising alarmedly. As soon as we enter lockdown, they wanted to know when we will come out and what would make that decision possible. Now they seem over the moon because things, on the face of it, look brighter. They don't watch and listen to what they have reported in the past. The large majority of people who have had  a vaccine have had the Oxford/AstraZeneca one. It has been reported that this vaccine is only 10% effective against this South African variant which will undoubtedly get out in this country. The BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine is only 50% effective. To me, this could cause another wave this year if these vaccines aren't quickly tweaked. Hopefully this can be done before the majority have their second dose. I'm having my first tomorrow.

The 10% effective statement has come from ? 

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

And there's the rub. He has too stand firm and stop being the guy who wants to be loved. I'm doubtful. 

Just seen the Times headline about holidays overseas.

So clearly the tactic is make the news seem bad, then announce 'good' news. Same old same old. 

11 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Just enter 'astrazeneca vaccine efficacy against south african variant ' and there are loads of links-too many to post but BBC, NY Times, Contagionlive, FT are a few.

Well they all comment on mild to medium conditions, still looks good for serious condition. Which at the end of the day is all that matters. “10%” statement is a load of bull shit. 

18 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l think it's only coming down bc the 5G rollout has been slowed.

l don't really, l just wanted to know how it felt to write something so ridiculous.

lt made me feel like a gullible idiot and that some russians were laughing at me.

My partner has now had the vaccine so I've risked ordering a 5G phone. I'll just wear my tin foil hat while I use it. 

55 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Well they all comment on mild to medium conditions, still looks good for serious condition. Which at the end of the day is all that matters. “10%” statement is a load of bull shit. 

Perhaps you should forward your comments to the South African Govt as they have stopped using the vaccine now and copy in the French Govt for the same reason.

28 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

What are people's views of the Euros happening in the summer?

Will fans be allowed to travel aboard to attend? 

I dreamt last night that Harry Kane scored in the 1st minute against Scotland at Wembley, but there were only a few fans allowed in.

34 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

What are people's views of the Euros happening in the summer?

Will fans be allowed to travel aboard to attend? 

1. Excited.

2. No.

postscript

Can see the number of host nations being reduced.

postpostscript

Can see us hosting it with no fans and being told by smug eurocrats in future that we hosted it in 2021 so cant host anything for about 50 years. Robbing millions of fans of the experience of a major tournament.

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Perhaps you should forward your comments to the South African Govt as they have stopped using the vaccine now and copy in the French Govt for the same reason.

Will do. Do you have the email address ? 

All the articles state that the trials are early doors and they don’t really know at this stage. You saying it’s 10% effective is spreading crap, if they don’t know you certainty don’t know. 

7 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

They shouldn't have stopped using the Oxford vaccine. It is still very good against the original virus and good enough against the Brazilian variant.

They gave me the Pfizer jab today and I await possible side effects tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, al_bro said:

They shouldn't have stopped using the Oxford vaccine. It is still very good against the original virus and good enough against the Brazilian variant.

I had the Pfizer jab a couple of weeks ago with no side effects whatsoever Al.

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think what @LightDN123is getting at is that by repeating the nonsense, you are echoing the nonsense. The trick is to filter it out.

OK. So when somebody asks where did that come from I will just ignore it rather than trying to help.

I ain't echoing any nonsense just telling what is happening-all facts, no opinion was or is provided.

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

OK. So when somebody asks where did that come from I will just ignore it rather than trying to help.

I ain't echoing any nonsense just telling what is happening-all facts, no opinion was or is provided.

Okay - I'm not piling on, I'm just clearing the path a little so we can find a way out. I've read some of the links you've mentioned and they all say that these results are on a small scale, the trials are in the early stages, it's way too soon to make any definitive conclusions, and boosters will be probably needed anyway.

None of them say "it's only 10% effective", which is exactly what was originally said, and is complete nonsense. You misread the initial post made by someone else, who probably misread in the first place - which is how these things start I guess. I mean, vodka is probably better than 10%

29 minutes ago, Matt said:

Okay - I'm not piling on, I'm just clearing the path a little so we can find a way out. I've read some of the links you've mentioned and they all say that these results are on a small scale, the trials are in the early stages, it's way too soon to make any definitive conclusions, and boosters will be probably needed anyway.

None of them say "it's only 10% effective", which is exactly what was originally said, and is complete nonsense. You misread the initial post made by someone else, who probably misread in the first place - which is how these things start I guess. I mean, vodka is probably better than 10%

Exactly this. I read the articles based on the post provided. None referred to 10% effectiveness, and all refereed to it being small trials and to early to tell. 

Nothing personal at all by the way, just if someone read that on here then spoke to someone else and it’s a chain reaction and it’s based on inaccurate information. 

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

Nice one!

I got mine today, being lumped in with the over 65s because of my underlying condition. They gave me the Astra Zenica and I get my booster in 10 weeks time. My arm is aching slightly but no more than the flu jab.

Archived