Official COVID-19 megathread

15 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Cornonvirus is saving the planet. l like it. Massive capitalism is pissing me off abit in the supermarkets and obvs no Football, but hopefully we can save the planet and permanently change our cancerous ways. Hopefully reduce the population by about half, that would be great too.

Given that the world’s current estimated population is 7.5 billion and that the current number of deaths attributed to Covid-19 is 11,826 that’s a fair leap you’re hoping for there... 🤔 Maybe Thanos  could help?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

Given that the world’s current estimated population is 7.5 billion and that the current number of deaths attributed to Covid-19 is 11,826 that’s a fair leap you’re hoping for there... 🤔 Maybe Thanos  could help?

Death isn't the only answer you know fuckinelllll.

Hopefully people can look at the lovely clear sky, breathe the almost clean air and look at their loved ones they don't normally see and change their selfish ways.

You won't kill my hope with your maths.

And 7.5 billion??? nah. 9 billion at least. 

3 hours ago, petera1 said:

At last someone talking common sense, you live up to your username Wiseowl !

People need to think about the context when giving figures, as you say 20,000 deaths is not something to frighten us it is somewhat of an improvement on usual annual totals. It will be interesting to see how many people die in UK in March 2020 as opposed to March 2019, I suspect it will not be significantly more?

The media is sensationalising this, I don't remember panic buying because of the flu !!

Please listen to this, and anyone else sharing the same view that it’s no big deal...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0877mb2

It’s a long call, but might help make people aware exactly how serious this potentially is. 

3 hours ago, petera1 said:

At last someone talking common sense, you live up to your username Wiseowl !

People need to think about the context when giving figures, as you say 20,000 deaths is not something to frighten us it is somewhat of an improvement on usual annual totals. It will be interesting to see how many people die in UK in March 2020 as opposed to March 2019, I suspect it will not be significantly more?

The media is sensationalising this, I don't remember panic buying because of the flu !!

It's 20,000 if everyone does as told. Estimate is half a million if they don't. IT'S DIFFERENT!! 

2 hours ago, petera1 said:

I do appreciate that, the point I was trying to make is not to take the figure in isolation!

The point you were making was that the media are making more of this then they should.

Actually the media are right, the chief medical officer is right and he is not “the media”!

I’m  sure the poor doctors in Italy feel this is worse then 2014/15. 

It fools like you petera that are not taking the government’s requests for us to alter what we do seriously, who worry me. 

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Cornonvirus is saving the planet. l like it. Massive capitalism is pissing me off abit in the supermarkets and obvs no Football, but hopefully we can save the planet and permanently change our cancerous ways. Hopefully reduce the population by about half, that would be great too.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Crass? Nope.

Controversial, maybe. But that's because most of you are in the selfish handcart to oblivion.

The planet is dying, the human race is at fault. l really can't see the problem.

Although you can be a proper _wat at times (particularly to poor old me) I agree with your underlying sentiment, Monty. Population growth (and how to prevent it) has actually been at the top of many government agendas for years (although in relative secret because of the obvious controversy and emotion it casues). I was on the razz in London once (I know, mcfluff is going to slate me again) with quite a high ranking diplomat. When having had a few pints of the "truth drug" he said something along the lines of, "We can recycle and go electric all we want in the UK - but in the final analysis, it won't make a jot of difference whilst humans are breeding like fucking rabbits. All these climate change activists can't see that the massive elephant in the room is the huge numbers of people on the planet, consuming huge amounts of energy, resources, food etc. It can't go on - we need to get to a stable population of around 3 billion tops."

Controversial? Maybe.

Truthful? Maybe.

13 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's 20,000 if everyone does as told. Estimate is half a million if they don't. IT'S DIFFERENT!! 

Dave - I know.

Over 600,000 people a year die in this country "normally" in any event. Again just for context i.e. it's not armageddon no matter how it pans out.

I fully endorse protecting the vulnerable and am certainly doing my bit. I booed at the morons outside a certain pub last night who were having a "closing party" - utter twats and it's people like that that I wish it would wipe out.

I still say to the vast majority of healthy people - stop letting the state and its media scare you half to death - you are not going to die!

Peace to all, enough said on it now from me.

11 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Dave - I know.

Over 600,000 people a year die in this country "normally" in any event. Again just for context i.e. it's not armageddon no matter how it pans out.

I fully endorse protecting the vulnerable and am certainly doing my bit. I booed at the morons outside a certain pub last night who were having a "closing party" - utter twats and it's people like that that I wish it would wipe out.

I still say to the vast majority of healthy people - stop letting the state and its media scare you half to death - you are not going to die!

Why you booing at people in a pub? No big deal according to you...

16 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Dave - I know.

Truly unbebloodylievable.  My partner is a nurse of 40 years standing.  She is not prone to panic and melodrama.  She is scared.

31 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Truly unbebloodylievable.  My partner is a nurse of 40 years standing.  She is not prone to panic and melodrama.  She is scared.

Some baffling stuff on here. Especially the notion that the media is scaring people unnecessarily and that those scared are in some way to blame for believing it. 

Are the media scaring world leaders into the sort of unprecedented extreme measures they’re taking?!?!

Good luck to everyone on here and their families, especially those on the front line putting themselves at risk for the benefit of others. 

And to those still insisting that it’s some sort of big overreaction... you can hold whatever opinion you want, just please stay indoors with that opinion wherever possible. Just in case the world medical and scientific community might know more than you on this. 

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Some baffling stuff on here. Especially the notion that the media is scaring people unnecessarily and that those scared are in some way to blame for believing it. 

Are the media scaring world leaders into the sort of unprecedented extreme measures they’re taking?!?!

Good luck to everyone on here and their families, especially those on the front line putting themselves at risk for the benefit of others. 

And to those still insisting that it’s some sort of big overreaction... you can hold whatever opinion you want, just please stay indoors with that opinion wherever possible. Just in case the world medical and scientific community might know more than you on this. 

There are still people that think the earth is flat and that the moon landings were faked. They are harmless buffoons. Unfortunately, the fuckwits that are ignoring the government advice on social distancing will kill people. They will probably be OK so fuck everyone else. It won't just be people with the virus who will die unnecessarily if the NHS becomes overwhelmed. Idiocy, arrogance and selfishness beyond belief. 

9 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

There are still people that think the earth is flat and that the moon landings were faked. They are harmless buffoons. Unfortunately, the fuckwits that are ignoring the government advice on social distancing will kill people. They will probably be OK so fuck everyone else. It won't just be people with the virus who will die unnecessarily if the NHS becomes overwhelmed. Idiocy, arrogance and selfishness beyond belief. 

Netflix - beyond the curve. Good doc on flat earthers if u want a laugh

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Please listen to this, and anyone else sharing the same view that it’s no big deal...

It’s a long call, but might help make people aware exactly how serious this potentially is. 

Listen to the full broadcast and act on it and lives will be saved.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

My wife  is a nurse too - I don't usually mention her but again, Dave it provides context. She only has 25 years experience so not as experienced as your partner. My wife is not scared. She knows some nurses who are and some that aren't. Her view is that, as in all walks of life, you get different personalities. She works with 2 "drama queens" and she had a bet to herself that they would be the first to "self isolate" - and they were! They are still off and none stop on Facebook every day.

Nurses are no different to the rest of the population - some are great - some are shite - some are drama queens - some aren't. 

It's the way it is - I appreciate your perspective, Dave. 

Please accept mine, even if you don't appreciate it.

Oh - and fluffy (my obsessive mate mcfluff) - do you want to come and join our little team delivering food to the elderly? - we could do with some more drivers - or do you just want to sit on the sidelines as usual and snipe? If you want to join us, please pm me.

5 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

So I know this has pretty much become a coronavirus thread, which is totally understandable in the circumstances.

But at what point does Dino become the longest serving manager of the Lemsagam era?

Don’t know.

I wonder if this spell counts to his tenure?  Or for example would it be 18 months (6 month non playing) 

Yes. I’m that Bored. 

17 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

My wife  is a nurse too - I don't usually mention her but again, Dave it provides context. She only has 25 years experience so not as experienced as your partner. My wife is not scared. She knows some nurses who are and some that aren't. Her view is that, as in all walks of life, you get different personalities. She works with 2 "drama queens" and she had a bet to herself that they would be the first to "self isolate" - and they were! They are still off and none stop on Facebook every day.

Nurses are no different to the rest of the population - some are great - some are shite - some are drama queens - some aren't. 

Oh - and fluffy (my obsessive mate mcfluff) - do you want to come and join our little team delivering food to the elderly? - we could do with some more drivers - or do you just want to sit on the sidelines as usual and snipe? If you want to join us, please pm me.

Help me out here. It's hard to see the wood for the whataboutism. Do you still think there isn't really a problem and it's all just scaremongering? 

26 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Sorry but I don't accept yours.  You are flying in the face of many, many, many experts.

17 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Who in their right mind buys tomatoes this time of year ?

They're hard and tasteless at best so wait until July when the decent tasting local ones hit the shops.

Maybe because they might be in short supply soon?

http://www.fruitnet.com/eurofruit/article/180978/tomato-virus-found-in-france

53 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Are you actually delivering food to them, or are you just shouting "drama queens" through their letterbox?

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Wow that is really scary. For those who think this is no different to flu, or think there is a lot of scaremongering, just listen to this and take his advice.

Ill admit now I was worried before I heard it,  but now I really am frightened.

STAY INDOORS AND AWAY FROM OTHER PEOPLE 

I posted a week ago that the UK govt’s bum laissez-faire policy was going to lead to disaster and this is being proved true.

Piffle has ummed and ahhed and lost a precious week in which the genie has well and truly got out of the bottle.

With all the evidence of what had happened beforehand in China. Italy and Spain this is truly criminal behaviour.

This is backed up by the many behavioral scientists who have questioned the appalling delay in the govt response.

https://behavioralscientist.org/why-a-group-of-behavioural-scientists-penned-an-open-letter-to-the-uk-government-questioning-its-coronavirus-response-covid-19-social-distancing/

What I could never understand is that everyone believed the spiel that they were doing everything to delay the upsurge of the curve when they were doing exactly the opposite. Unbelievable and criminal conduct.

Mark Chater Behavioral Scientist expressed similar in Radio 4 Any Questions this Friday/Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000gc5r

-

Archived